“Another great joliday at the Istankoy!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Istankoy Hotel

You added Istankoy Hotel to your Saves list
Istankoy Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ataturk Cad. No:73 Bodrum Merkez, Bodrum City 48400, Turkey   |
Ranked #12 of 116 Hotels in Bodrum City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Glasgow
“Another great joliday at the Istankoy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Just returned from another week at 'our home in Bodrum' with my daughter. This hotel really is a lovely place to stay. We received a big welcome from all the staff - who even remembered us from last year! A big shout out to Edie (head waiter), plus Dolphin, Bob and all kitchen staff - really genuine people . Food is great, breakfast is fresh and Turkish! If you you want an English breakfast you can pay extra, but I believe if you go to another country you should try the local cuisine - if you want British food stay at home!
We stayed in room 209 which was clean and tidied every day - the cleaners really work hard and all day. No problems with the room, it has a nice view overlooking the pool. We arrived on 25th September which for us was an ideal time as it was comfortably busy. We even met up with a few others who we had met the previous year. Everyone is friendly and all the guests chat with each other (young and old). The bar staff were also great Hasan (and Ahmet) was very attentive and a great laugh - they all work very hard. We were really sad to leave but will be definately returning next year.
When we were leaving ALL the staff (inc the managers/owner) came to wave us off, this is a lovely touch and something I have not experienced at any other hotel. I can't speak highly enough of this hotel and its staff, yes it is basic accomodation, but it is clean and tidy, and the staff certainly add extra plus points to this hotel!

Can't wait for next year!

Ann + Angela :)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Turkish first
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Istankoy end of August/early September. At first I was a little dubious about staying at the hotel and had even tried to change our booking but all my fears of a loud hotel were put to rest when we arrived.

Our room (214) was lovely. Yes, it was small but the weather was amazing so didn't want to be cooped up anyway. Outside was a huge terrace shared by only 2 other rooms so we would often come back here after a packed day and have a drink bought at the well stocked bar and shop downstairs. The stairs are a bit narrow and not amazingly lit but when we arrived a member of staff carried both of our suitcases up. The staff were great and always tried to help the best they could.

The whole hotel is kept sparkling from our rooms to the communal spaces l so definitely cannot fault the Istankoy there. The music was a little loud during the day but it definitely calmed down by 11pm and I never found it difficult to sleep.

Location wise is perfect- 30 seconds walk and you will find yourself in central Bodrum with its plentiful shops, yummy restaurants and beach. Bodrum was great for shopping and after the 1st day we did not receive much hassle from shop/restaurant owners- just keep your head down and no eye contact! By the end of the week most of them recognised us and would just give us a wave. There are a lot of stray dogs and cats around which can be a bit annoying especially when trying to eat dinner. Personally, we would not recommend eating on the beach. We had a bad experience at MADO cafe. Service was shocking, two stray cats sat and watched our every bite and lots of gypsies trying to sell flowers etc. If you want to eat by the sea try some of the restaurants along the main shopping streets which all have lovely decking that goes into the sea-great views of Bodrum castle here especially at sunset. Also budget eats (6 lira)- any of the kebab restaurants set a little back from the beach. Much better than any kebab in England. Tried Curlys and unfortunately did not enjoy as we found it a little dirty but perhaps we just called in on an off day. We did not go to the beach at Bodrum as we felt it was a little near to all the shops and everyone walking by so decided to take the Dolmus to nearby Bitez and enjoy the beautiful beach there. Generally, we found the strip of beach that had more families to be less rocky.

We ate at the Istankoy restaurant and really enjoyed our meal. We both went for the steak. We didn't go to the Turkish night as we were leaving that evening but we saw snippets of it and it looked amazing so I would say definitely go for it- only £10.

We went on two excursions- gullet trip and Ephesus. Although they were both at a great price I would give it a miss. The boat trip was good but 8 hours was way too much and each stop really wasn't much different from the one previous. Ephesus itself was interesting but would not like to go through the hassle of travelling there and stopping at gold/turkish delight shops along the way. If you do go on an excursion that starts early ( Ephesus pick up at 6.30am) ask at reception for a packed breakfast. This was great- freshly baked bread, jams,cheese,yoghurt etc and of course free!

Small improvements that could be made: replace towels as little threadbare and showers are a little cramped. Other than that the price was amazing and am very surprised this has only been rated 2 stars.

Enjoy Istankoy!

Room Tip: Ask for 214!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at istankoy for 2 weeks in September. The transfer from the airport was very quick and simple.
The hotel itself is located in a fantastic position. It is very close to the beach and marina (10 min walk max) with its huge array of shops, bars and restaurants. It is also a good base to get to other towns as the bus station is also a 10 min walk away.

The hotel is small but very pleasant. Rooms are a little on the small side and pretty standard decor wise but we liked ours - you don't need a massive room on holiday! The whole hotel is kept immaculately clean, the cleaners are lovely and are non stop everyday.
The bar staff are friendly and drinks are reasonable as long as you stick to local ones. The restaurant is good with lovely food especially the steak.

Music is played quite loud poolside during the day but this got turned right down by about 10:30pm. It's a lively hotel but not annoyingly so.
The pool is nice and very clean but small and gets crowded early. We got around this by spending a lot of time at the beach or round the corner at Curlys bar which has a free pool if you buy the odd drink.

Turkey itself is friendly (you get hassled very little), cheap, and very beautiful. I really couldn't recommend it enough (and I was hesitant to begin with).
Overall I would definitely recommend the Isrankoy hotel for anyone looking for a great inexpensive and friendly base in turkey.

• Stayed September 2012
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Having had a bad experience to start our holiday we 6 girls can highly recommend this hotel. They helped us out when we experienced problems with our original hotel, sending their hotel bus to pick us up and giving us a free breakfast.

Staff were all excellent. Rooms were clean and functional. Pool was very clean and there were plenty of loungers - even if they were a bit close together.

The food and the restaurant were good.

Most of the bar staff were pleasant and friendly but not over-bearing. The hotel itself is only a street away from the beach and the main shopping so is positioned ideally for a nice realxing time - exactly what us girls wanted.

Can heartily recommend this hotel for anyone on a budget.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Sakarya, Sakarya, Turkey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Okay this is my first time ever writing a review on anything, let alone a hotel. I actually stayed in Istankoy Pension, and it's about 30 metres away and there both under the same management. But, I've got a chance to see the guys at the Hotel as well, and I must say I was very impressed with the way they tried to help me find a suitable place to stay, as I didn't have pre-booking with any hotel, it was something I thought I can sought out, when I get to Bodrum.

They said their rooms were fully booked, so they recommended that i should have a look at their pension, and so I did, and i liked where it was situated, about 15 metres away from the beach and 50 metres away from the city centre, the rooms looked descent, clean with a/c, and free wireless internet, three things that are very important for me. It was a pension, so the rooms were for like midgets, ( it's a bloody pension, and you so shouldn't really expect much) but I was fortunate to have a room with 3 windows, so I would get natural light, lighting up the room during the day time.

When I got their, I was introduced to Cengiz, the guy who managers the pension. And let me tell you guys, this guy is really cool, if you ever have a chance to stay their, Cengiz is a FAIR DINKUM bloke... One thing I hate about going on a holidays is people always trying to rip you off, but Istankoy pension wasn't like that... everything was straight forward, like these our prices, and this is what you get for brekky..

Anyways, overall I would say it was a good experience, and would I go back to Istankoy Pension next year? Hell Yeh! I'm already looking forward to it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
pontypool
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Ratings-:
Staff....Excellent, very friendly

Breakfast...Very poor...Only Turkish Bufett, anything English had to be paid for...

Room...Very Poor...Room 103,small dingy room with small window,heavy lace curtain, and Brocade curtain,thus no natural daylight whatsoever,unable to draw back curtain or open window as staff used that area to have smoke breaks.Heavy sewer stench wafting thro drain on bathroon floor,Noise from bar into small hours so unable to sleep,maids were fab,flower petals were scattered on bed, and in Bathroom,however the rooms need a good overhaul.

Pool Area..Poor, very cramped and dangerous with a lethal wet floor,when customers were settled and comfortable the 5.00 Clk curfew would occur, they were made to feel uncomfortable by the hose pipe procedure of floorcleaning, basically if you didn't move they would spray you with it..Me and my Daughter were having a meal by the poolside, a member of staff came at us with the aforesaid hosepipe and drenched us we had to pick our feet up, and put our bags on table!!!! Not really very good practice!!!! All the sunbeds were put away at that point too....

Location..Excellent ,close to everything, couldn't fault it....
Would visit Bodrum again, but probably not The Istankoy...

Room Tip: Don't settle for a substandard room, its seems that "Squeaky Wheels get oiled"
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Me and my mum stayed at the Istankoy Hotel for 2 weeks at the end of August 2012. This hotel is basic but clean, small and friendly and really good fun. First night we got there we had a double bed which was not ideal as we had booked a twin room but we were moved to another room the next day. Our room was opposite the bar area and we hardly experienced any noise (apart from the parrot on a morning) :)
All the guests mingle on an evening around the bar area and the staff are so helpful and a really good laugh! There is entertainment in the form of Turkish Night and BBQ - well worth the £10 each. Boat Trips are also available to book through the hotel at around 30TL each. The location is just 1-2 minutes away from the main strip of shops, bars and restaurants. The food in the hotel is of a high standard and reasonably priced. Noticed some peoples concerns about sunbeds, we had no problem. It is a little cramped around the pool area but there is a roof terrace to sunbath on, it's just a little further to walk to the pool to cool off! :) Overall a fab place to stay in Bodrum!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Istankoy Hotel? Share your experiences!