“wonderful stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Karia Princess

You added Hotel Karia Princess to your Saves list
Hotel Karia Princess
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Eskicesme Mah. Myndos Cad. No:8 Bodrum Merkez, Bodrum City 48400, Turkey   |
Ranked #22 of 115 Hotels in Bodrum City
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“wonderful stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Karia Princess is about 10mins walk from the electric marina area. The hotel is very beautiful and charming with an old world feel about it. Rooms are spacious and comfortable (make sure you check the bathrooms before checking in, for some of the rooms it quite bad!). we had breakfast & dinner at the hotel - awesome spread, dinner had lots of local food - tapas, dolma, etc.

Room Tip: Check the bathroom before checking in - some of them are really weird!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012 via mobile

This sublime hotel exceeded our expectations with a great staff, rooms, pool and food. We were made to feel as though we were at home truly with dear friends keeping careful watch that we had everything we needed. Our children were treated with the utmost TLC by the staff. The beautiful garden, music, meals and serenity around the pool made all of us very happy to be there. We now wish we could return... Restorative and relaxing we will recommend Karia Princess to our friends and hope to stay again in the future!

• Stayed July 2012
Istanbul, Turkey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

it was a really good stay,i got there by total coincidence but it was worth it..manager ALİ and guest manager MELTEM were really great...ALİ is doing a good job,really friendly guy,hotel has great rooms and wonderful gardens,it is very lush with some beatiful flowers..waiting staff is great and very helpful ,the pool area is so private and quiet,you cannot help but thinking it is your private pool,the pool area has a really nice bar with a friendly pool side parrot..if you want to go the beach,they have a shuttle service with luxurios mercedes vianos..when i was there,there was some americans staying,they also remarked about the hotel how wonderful it was...and i am sure they will keep improving it..manager ALİ has a great vision for the future...i am sure he will succeed it...

Room Tip: try to get a room by the pool side,you are in with great lushness and flowesr..
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

DON"T BE TAKEN IN BY THE PICTURES AND FIVE STAR RATING.

During a transformational vacation to Turkey, this was the one false note. First, however, let me qualify...I made the reservations via Priceline and chose a bargain basement rate of 90 Euro per night - amazing in Bodrum in high summer. I therefore expected that the rooms might be of lesser quality. However, I was completely unprepared for...
-poor directions to the hotel on the website, mapquest and google. our fault as we had no local cellphone but.... we drove in a rental car from Ephesus that day. we tried the approach to the hotel multiple times and spent nearly two hours trying to find it before going to a local taxi rank and asking for an escort. 20 lira for the escort.
-The hotel is pretty high on a hill, about a 15 minute walk to the waterfront action. you need to be careful to mark your surroundings to find it if you plan to walk back after dinner and drinks in the dark - the way is unmarked through many alleys.
-The website implied a central location in the town with a view of the harbor and the medieval castle. not the case at all.
-It is large and the grounds were beautifully kept, but, eerily, there appeared to be NOONE else staying there. There may have been five other guests in the hotel. Some locals were using the tennis courts, which are clay and very lovely.
-When the bellhop reviewed my reservation, he shot me a warning look and said - you are in the Olive Garden. There was a reason for the warning - this turned out to be a full cross country hike away, across the street from the main hotel, in what appeared to be a set of old apartment buildings. It was at least a quarter mile walk from the main reception area, through most of the hotel public spaces, across the pool area, past the tennis courts and across the street. Our room was on the second floor - thank god for the young men willing to haul our luggage to the top floor. We gave them 5 lira.
-The room - AC unit over the door only works when you put the room key in the slot. so you walk into a hot room and wait for it to cool.
-There were holes in the walls in the room from fixtures that had been removed.
-The king bed was two twins pushed together with two meager pillows and an old bedspread.
-Furniture other than the bed was minimal.
-Light fixtures did not work.
-The door knob did not work.
-The phone did not work. No room service, natch.
-No internet access although the rate from Priceline had promised complementary internet access.
-When i went to the lobby to inquire about phone service and internet, I was told by the lady in charge that "our phone and internet service is interrupted because of a dispute with the local authorities...they are putting in a new line and we are not sure when this will be restored" She motioned to the laptop in the lobby and said this would be available anytime for our use.
-No ice...my husband bravely searched through the bowels of the darkened main buidling for it...discovered an open bar with lots of nice wine that was standing around unguarded and abandoned.
We thought Bodrum was picturesque and a nice alternative to Ibiza, but we likely won't be back...too weird an experience. Run fast before Tony Perkins comes.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2010

Only 35 guests staying in a 125 room hotel so the service especially around the dining hall was excellent with very friendly and accomodating staff. Rooms clean, pool a lttle cold but immaculate. Hotel oozed old time quality.

reception staff not too friendly though and need to take a lead from the dinning staff.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Cairo, Egypt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010

Hotel Karia Princess is the definition of relaxation but, it just doesn't leave the best first impression. Okay so, I have been to Turkey twice but, by the second time I thought I'd visit Bodrum and stay there for 4 days 3 nights after having stayed at Istanbul for 7 days 6 nights; I booked at the Karia Princess hotel through a travel agency back home and I mainly surveyed the website superficially, expecting it to be like any other hotel in Istanbul but, I have to say Bodrum is a whole other experience. The first day I arrived there I was surprised to find that the hotel was 35 minutes away from the airport since the airport was technically in the middle of nowhere; throughout the whole way I saw gigantic green mountains and a turquoise sea making the whole place picturesque however, the minute I reached the hotel and asked for my room and its view, the guy at the front desk irritatingly said that the hotel doesn't have a view and if I got lucky, I'd get the room looking at the hotel garden. That of course was a shocker considering that in my visits to Istanbul I always had a Bosphorous view almost without asking for it! I then, automatically, asked for a map of Bodrum and learnt that there are pretty much two places to go to other than the hotel; one is the marina [5 minutes away by a 5 lira cab and 8 minutes away walking with the risk of losing your way] the other is a shopping centre called "Oasis" which has pretty much all the universal and Turkish brands one sees in Istanbul with all the usual prices [10 minutes away by walking or 5 minutes by a 5 or 6 lira cab]. Anyway, I went to my room which was number 208 on the ground floor and frankly, even though the furniture and the design were outdated, it did have a pretty good feel to it and the garden view was actually pretty great. I later went to the marina and came back by a cab and I found no need to show the taxi driver the hotel card considering all the people around knew the hotel. By dinner time, I still hadn't seen any guests whatsoever and was starting to consider the hotel too silent and slightly boring however, the guest number slightly increased by 8:30 pm or so [people don't usually eat early there]. The waiters kept each guest's regular table reserved for each day which was nice considering my table was literally by the pool which was an awesome view. Afterwards, I looked around the hotel and the only form of entertainment there was either chess, pool table or foosball and frankly people disappeared after dinner mostly to sleep which to me was critically boring so, I usually went out to the marina at night.

Pros:

-Excellent food [major dessert variety.]

-Friendly staff especially the waiters.

-Cozy atmosphere.

-Clean rooms.

-Very efficient room air conditioning system. [That was essential considering it was 38 degrees out there.]

-Good location; 5 minutes away from the marina which is where all the action in Bodrum occurs.

-Taxi station right outside the hotel.

-Cultural variation of guests [mainly British people but, there were also Egyptians, Italians and Germans around.]

-The hotel staff or even the whole of Bodrum can actually communicate in English unlike Istanbul.

-Beautiful garden and pool side view.

-Excellent Wifi connection.

-Free laptop use in the lobby.

Cons:

-No sea view whatsoever.

-Very outdated music by the pool [but, at least it wasn't loud.]

-Not much group entertainment [it's like people die after dinnertime even though Bodrum is a nightlife city.]

-No decent form of blow drier.

-No good tour offers or brochures around.

-They sometimes turn off the air conditioning in the hall ways but, never in the rooms.

-The hotel is only ever crowded during the weekend especially Saturday but, even then the people tend to disappear into their rooms.

Overall, I would go there again because after having been to the bustle of Istanbul, the silence and the relaxation Karia Princess offered was much needed and if you enjoy partying and night life activities you're only 5 minutes away from all the action at the marina. So, yes, I do recommend people to go there.

If you have any questions contact me.

PS: I stayed there starting the 24th of July 2010 till the 27th of July 2010.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2010

This hotel has a really nice pool area which is why we booked so in this respect it ticked the boxes. However, the hotel overall is looking very tired and outdated. The main problem was with the level of staff - for an apparent 5* hotel the service was very poor. Incredible frustrating (which I never did expect but 4* service at least). Shame, could be so much better as lots of space - was once obviously a glorious hotel... sadly not so much any more :-(

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Karia Princess? Share your experiences!