“Fantastic!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Ankara, Turkey
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

Probably the best restaurant that I ate whole in my life, a city without sea but with a seafood restaurant better than any other seaside places. I am not going to write anything else just go and order anything. Because everything is good, very good. But fill your pocket very well because this is not a student restaurant, very expensive but worth for every cent.

• Visited July 2011

• Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Ankara, Turkey
“One of the best Fish Restaurants in Ankara”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

Owned by a retired marine officer one can taste the best fishes of Marmara Sea (less salt and cooler water) and shrimps and lobsters cooked in a delicious way (juicy). One enjoys the sorbet in between the meals and the oxygen treat at the end of the meal. There are also very innovative deserts one may enjoy. Prices high, service very good.

• Visited July 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Try to get a seat in the garden. Best service in Turkey!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011 via mobile

If I can't give this restaurant a 5, I don't know which restaurant would deserve it. I called hours before wanting to show up and they were able to accommodate our party of two inside. If possible try and sit outside as it is beautiful, but if inside is the only option, you should still go. The service was fantastic, even by Turkish standards. I should have known when two people came to open the doors of our cab. My husband and I both look really young (still get asked for ID to buy lotto tickets young) and sometimes nice places like this can be dismissive towards us. This place was amazing. The owner, the manager, the fish guy and some other random people all stopped by to ask if everything was to our liking and welcome us. The place was abuzz with waiters, I lost count of how many people came to our table. I have eaten at nice fish restaurants in Turkey before, but everything was a cut above every other fish restaurant I have ever been to. My personal favorite were the cold appetizers, my husband LOVED the grilled octopus as a hot appetizer. We had a grilled white fish as our main course. I asked for a small portion (I was pretty full by this point) and they accommodated me. My only complaint is that the potato that was served as a side was a touch cold. I definitely made room for dessert, and the chocolate souffle was definitely worth the 30 minute wait! On my way out, the restaurant manager made a point of saying that they would be sure to accompdate us in the garden if possible next time. I find that back home some of these fancy restaurants have attitude and are a bit snobby, not at all here. I was impressed all around. With 3 cold appetizers, 2 hot appetizers, 2 small salads, 1.5 portions of fish, a bottle of wine, and two desserts, the total came to 215 ytl, equivalent to $130 Cdn (before tip). Definitely worth it if you are looking for an exceptional experience!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Calgary
“Trilye : Very Nicely Done”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

We were in Ankara on business and charged with selecting a restaurant to meet with friends and colleagues from other parts of the world. We saw a few reviews of a seafood restaurant in the South-central Cankaya district near all of our hotels and we decided to get a reservation for a Monday night and we were set.

When we arrived at about 630 we were the first table to be sat. On this evening we were on the patio.

A waiter came forth with a platter of mezes – ( cold appetizers ) from which we were to order. As we were five, we each picked something, and in a few minutes each of us had our own plate with five delicious seafood or veggie based appetizers. Beyond their distinct and very fresh tastes, the colour and geometry of each of the mezes on the plates was carefully created and appealing. At our table we also enjoyed a bottle of Turkish red wine.

After our mezes, the first of four unique surprises arrived at our table. Something was brought by to reset our palettes between courses. I won’t give it away but it was eye-opening, tasty, and you won’t soon forget it.

Our next course was a hot appetizer choice served with salad. We had the prawns and they were perfectly done.

Before our mains, the waiter appeared with a silver platter with the three fish choices for the night. On that evening the seabass was the star, with a second whitefish for any doubters and a third fish choice for the true rebels in the crowd.

After ordering our mains, another surprise arrived at our table. At certain posh affairs you may have seen a tiny bowl of lemon sorbet served between courses as a palette cleanser. At Trilye, they have a variation on this theme which evolves it to their style using some non-linear thinking. If I explained it to you here, you probably would not believe it. You have to experience it. If you get back to me afterwards and tell me that you have experienced an intermezzo like this at any other restaurant in the world, I’ll mail you fifty bucks and a get out of jail free card from my monopoly set.

The mains were perfectly done, with all parties giving satisfied nods between bites. The satisfaction was not limited to our table. As I scanned the patio I could see the enjoyment in the patrons’ eyes, and I could hear it also in the lavish murmur produced from the dominantly local clientele at their candlelit tables.

A wide range of fresh and delicious desserts came with tea or coffee. A few of us enjoyed the Turkish coffee – which could pretty much hold your spoon up on its own, In the dessert choices I saw the first and only non-Turkish item of the night . This did not detract from the meal - rather it speaks to the authenticity of all the previous dishes.

Ok, there were yet more surprises involving a seashell, and a camera. One of the surprises is a souvenir, and one of them could clean your palette on another night. Intrigued? I wont give these away either, but if you liked the first two surprises, you’ll probably like these as well.

Our table was won over by the food, hospitality and quirky surprises that Trilye has to offer. Trilye has a very good reputation in town, and from our experience, it is well earned.

Of Practical Note:

Luckily for me we all like seafood, as there really were no bailout choices for the main - like, for example, a chicken caesar salad or something should one of your guests ( gasp! ) not feel like seafood that night. Mind you , if you made a specific request, they would surely come up with something for you.

Although their menu is available online, on our night there was no menu given to us for our mains, but rather we were offered Catch of the Day. I suspect that if the Catch of the Day had not won us all over, then they would have provided us menus for our mains.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Madrid
“extraordinary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2010

Firstly there is a marvelous hospitality begining from valet to the owner of the restaurant.
I ate couple of mezes that the owner of the restaurant invented and they are very good. They make an intresting show before meal after mezes in order to fresh your mouth and get ready for meal.
If you are in Turkey you have to visit this restaurant and taste the delicious dessert also.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere