“eeeewwwww!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #41 of 51 Hotels in Quezon City
Singapore
“eeeewwwww!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

This hotel is terrible!!!! the receptionist shouldn't ask you whether smoking or non smoking room.. It should be cockroach or non-cockroach room!!! we transfer to the hotel room 3x and all of them are filled with cockroach... we got no choice but to transfer from other hotel in the middle of the night!

Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Toulouse, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2010

The hotel looks nice outside but then don't be fooled because inside is like a maze, you'll get lost because there's no indication as where to go with another building renovated and joined at the old one... very confusing. The service is bad as the hotel employees seems to don't even know their job description as well as the hotel itself! The room's are very dirty both at the old and new building. the first day of our stay, after 2 hours in room, insects comes from nowhere note cockroaches. Valet comes to our room to spray this insect killer but the smell is horrible, we changed room but it is the same problem! The walls has stains, blood, pee or I don't know what. The bathroom is a disaster! Check the photos please so you can see what I am trying to say.

We ordered room service, the food is not good. I had a feeling that it is the left over from a wedding/banquet the other night. Food was not only cold but at that moment I was wishing that I am eating at the roadside eatery! So expensive even the bottled water.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
manila
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

We stayed here due to the long black out experienced in Metro Manila and their generators were able to maintain the rooms air conditioning, and also the fact that there were no rooms available at the better hotels in the metro. We stayed at the new tower, but nothing in it is maintained well. Everything is really not clean and the room amenities are broken and tired. Also, there were bugs on the bed, we all woke up with bites in our arms and legs.

I did appreciate the front desk officer being so nice to us. This is the only ray in the otherwise gloomy hotel. I pray that we never have to return to this hotel ever again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
manila
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2010

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2010

Checking in takes abit time as i did not reserve any room. Once payment is finished, my girlfriend and i were asked to wait for 15mins as they prepare the room. In the end i waited for about 25mins. But the ever smiling staff covers everything.

I was taken aback when i enter the room. As the website did not show any obvious photos of the room, i was getting prepared of getting a very normal small room as i asked for the Superior Room. Instead, the room is very big and spacious. I was very impressed with the cleanliness. I felt very comfortable once i step into the room. The toilet is big and spacious too. On top of that, there is a bathtub. 1 bad thing is the wardrobe is in the toilet.

The restaurant on the 1st floor is very empty whenever i was there for meals. The buffet breakfast is poor with very limited choices. Too bad i did not try the 8th floor restaurant as i totally forgotten about it. So i guess its better to eat outside rather than in the hotel restaurant. Try shrimp sinigan when having meals outside. I almost eat sinigan everyday for the 7 days i was in Philippines (Puerto Galera and Quezon CIty). San Miguel is also cheap and nice.

Great Eastern Hotel is near to Manila Bay, San Miguel by the Bay, Mall of Asia (which is the biggest mall in asia), TriNoma and many other places. Do not expect to find a pub or bar which show soccer if you are a soccer fan cos i spent the whole night without any success.

I spent a total of 5 days and 4 nights at Great Eastern and i will definately going back again when i'm in Quezon City.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010

The Great Eastern Hotel in Quezon City is located near our relatives, and is cheap ($45) per night. These two reasons alone are why we chose to stay here for 4 nights. I had read the previous reviews, and booking this hotel for 4 nights was not my idea. I would much rather stay at the Edsa Shangri-La, but it is far away from our relatives, and the price is much higher. We will be ending our stay in the Philippines with 3 nights at the Edsa Shangri-La which, in comparison to the Great Eastern Hotel, is like heaven.

The staff of the hotel are nice and friendly, willing to assist. That’s probably the only positive I can give to this hotel review. The rest of this review will be an account of the time after receiving the room key to entering the room and beginning an inspection of the facility.

The receptionist desk has these odd, industrial style switches, indicators and buttons. I need to get a closer look at them to determine their function and purpose. The hotel lobby on the 8th floor seems to have been renovated but poorly maintained. The ceiling mounted air-conditioning units are old, dirty and leaking. I fear for the amount of mold that is accumulating in the ceiling. No doubt that any one cares to inspect or maintain the a/c units or the surrounding mounts. They are dirty, dingy and decaying. Not clearly up to health and safety standards. The lobby furniture is old and poorly matched. There is a couch on one side of the lobby that is worn-out, provides poor support and is uncomfortable to sit on. The room key given to me is an old style key with holes, not a credit-card type key. The room number is also printed on each key, not very secure.

Upon entering my room on the 16th floor, I immediately noticed a dead cockroach on the entry tile. I immediately proceeded to inspect the bathroom. Mold everywhere, in the sink caulking, on the floor tiles, around the base of the toilet, and in the tub grout. Absolutely disgusting. The floor of the tub was stained black from not being cleaned or even bleached. Simple bathroom cleaner or bleach could have prevented this gross staining from happening. There were these ugly black stains on the bathroom floor. The base of the toilet was similarly stained and appallingly dirty. The bathroom mirror was smudged and hardly wiped down. The toilet water was urine yellow and remained urine yellow after multiple flushes. After the first flush, a toilet paper came out and was followed by a speck of what appeared to be fecal matter. This was simply unacceptable, regardless of how much a person is paying to stay at this so-called hotel. The trash can in the bathroom was made of a silver mesh type material and was stained with various residues and had been emptied, but not cleaned. I had enough with inspecting the bathroom and moved into the room itself.

We were told that we were going to be located in the “new” wing of the hotel. In fact, it was a stretch to call this wing of the hotel “new”. The room is, in fact, old, but renovated with paint and modern-esque but deteriorating furniture. There seemed to have been a lamp by the bedside but it had been removed and someone had spackled and painted over the hole in the wall with paint that didn’t match.

The bed is anything but a bed. The mattress is hard as a rock, provides no comfort and seems more like a slab of concrete. Sleeping on the floor would have been more comfortable but the red carpet is stained, frayed and torn in multiple areas. The pillowcases had stains. The bedsheets had stains. I felt dirty from just touching the sheets. Laundry and cleaning FAIL. The room is dimly lit. Even with all the lights on, it was like sleeping in a cave. The overall vibe I got from this room was that it was used for people to have sex in and leave. I couldn’t take it anymore and demanded a new room or I would be checking out.

They gave me a different room on the 15th floor that was moderately cleaner and had better lighting. There were still cockroaches, the bathroom was still moldy and had mildew stains, and the tub floor was still stained gray. The bed was still hard and inflexible, but the room had better lights that worked.

Two days in a row, after returning to the hotel, I found all the towels in the bathroom missing. I had to call housekeeping to get towels. Each time, the towels had this faintly sour smell. Best described in tagalog as "panis". Seems like the laundry uses cheap soap and isn't dried very well, or the washing machine itself is dirty and contaminated with mold/mildew.

Overall, I would never ever stay in this hotel, nor recommend it to anyone. Cockroaches are a constant companion. Yes I understand this is a hotel in a third world country, but the two other hotels we stayed at in the Philippines were clean and I didn't notice cockroaches in the other hotels. We only stayed here because it was conveniently close to our relatives and cheap. You get what you pay for at this hotel, and you aren’t getting much else other than a place to shower and sleep. This hotel can be summed up in a few words: dirty and dilapidated. It is in desperate need of better cleaning and upkeep, but I think this place stays open because it is cheap. Stay away from any room on the 16th floor. Or better yet, just stay away from this hotel.

If you don’t believe what I said in this review, just check out the pictures I took.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo

Been to Great Eastern Hotel? Share your experiences!