“Mmmm Ma Mon Luk” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Chinese
Quezon City, Philippines
“Mmmm Ma Mon Luk”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2011

Mmmm... Ma Mon Luk... If you guys are looking for authentic "Mami", then this is definitely the place to get your fill of the real stuff.

Their mami is "assembled" like the usual ones you see at simple old-school mami carts, where the noodles, meat, and veggies are in their bowls, waiting to be filled with hot broth. To be honest, and terribly straightforward... when I had my first bite of their chicken mami, I was all like, "Ew, lasang basahan!" ("Ew, tastes like a wet dirty rag!"). Hahahaha =) But seriously, it DID taste like a smelly "basahan" at first (not that I've already tasted "basahan", but I quite sure you can imagine what I mean). I wasn't really excited to have another bite, but I thought of giving it a second chance. I added a dash of salt, pepper, patis (fish sauce), and their other condiments... and... VOILA!!!... yummy Mami! So my tip to everyone planning to satisfy their Mami-cravings at Ma Mon Luk... be sure to season your soup/broth properly, or you're sure to get the same reaction as mine when I didn't.

My honey and I settled for their jumbo siopao and siomai as it was still merienda time... and decided to reserve the main dishes 'til our next visit. I found the Jumbo Siopao really cheap for Php 50.00 as it was quite huge and heavy. However, I like Aberdeen Court's jumbo tai pao better.

For those looking for a comfy airconditioned restaurant, this is the not the place for you. The siopao and mami are all steaming in the main dining area and you can see that the servers are all pretty sweaty themselves. We went here on a rainy evening and it was still quite hot and humid inside Ma Mon Luk.

Overall, given the taste and value for money... I would still recommend that you try out this place, especially if you're in the lookout for authentic mami noodles. Remember... season your noodle soup properly! :)

• Visited May 2011