“Stayed there overnight a few times over the years” 3 of 5 stars

Townhouse Hotel / Hostel Manila
31 Bayview Drive | Paranaque City, Manila, Luzon, Philippines   |
Ranked #68 of 103 hotels in Manila
Haikou, China
“Stayed there overnight a few times over the years”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

I'm an English teacher here in China but go on frequent short trips to various S.E. Asia destinations so have stayed overnight at The Townhouse a few times over the past years. Each time the type of room I booked was different as this place isn't like any other typical budget hotel in S.E Asia. A couple of time I wasn't thrilled with the room which is a bit spartan like without amenities and a couple of times I was quite happy with the room I had. The staff seems to change each time I arrive and I've only met the owners, Bill and Lorna once but each time their staff were friendly enough. I'll continue to stay there as I really don't like over populated Manila so like to go directly to the provinces and beaches and it's the best location with the cheapest prices for my needs.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo

88 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Okayama, Japan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

I booked this overgrown sewer because it was in Lonely Planet and it seemed OK and modestly priced for a one night stopover before flying to Boracay. The worst mistake we ever made in our lives. The room was like something out of a doss house for the homeless and the bathroom was straight out of a horror film, (could only just bring ourselves to use the toilet). The bed was so dirty looking that my wife placed a towel on top and lay on that rather than risk the sheets and dirty bedding, nevertheless she was badly bitten by bed bugs. I opted to suffer the plastic patio chair instead and sat under the whirring fan all night as the trucks thundered by outside sending their noxious black fumes through the slatted window. Mosquitos joined the smoke to make our misery complete. It was like the black hole of Calcutta, hot, humid, stinking and deeply uncomfortable. We didn't stop for breakfast but scarpered as soon as possible. A member of staff led us down the filthy, wet alley to the main coast highway with it's attendant smog and thundering traffic until a taxi stopped for us.
Never again. I suspect that whoever writes the nice reviews for this place either works there or is the owner.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
South Berwick, Maine
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2010

I booked this Hotel online as it was close to the airport, indicated aircon & transfer service on it's Web Site and would be a convenient/easy one night stop over for my wife and child....... my wife sent me her REVIEW from Manila - enjoy:

'We are here in Manila right now. We got here @ the century town hotel around 11am. The Place is SUCKS. I am very disappointed. No SERVICE at all. I would rather pay 50 bucks than 5 buck and misserable. Just to let you know everything is expensive here. We do not expect because only 5 buck or $10 and close to the airport is great. I have to stop here because I am going to explode now. NO TV NO AC I will talk to you more later. Please do not do this with us again. I know you do not know either the place but becUSE YOU ARE KEEP thinking of cheap and cheap.'

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2010

The Townhouse hotel is two houses in the middle and towards the end of a dark alley. The main building is relatively safer than the annexe that should never be used. There is no security in either building and the annexe has a gate that is able to be easily opened from the outside.

The staff are okay but the beds and pillows smell and rooms often have issues such as cockroaches, taps and toilets not working.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Torbay
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2009

Hi all like you guys i read the reviews on this place and thought sounds OK reasonable price so I fell into the trap and booked a night nearly paid for the week to save money!! thank fully i didnt and paid the one night..... well was given a room with no water for loo cold shower and a curtain that was less than half the size of the window..... so at night i had people saying hello at night so i went and asked for another room, given a better room so i thought water was working so managed to use the loo then, in the morning I woke up after being bitten all nite by bed bugs the bed was full of them..... whole place was a building site, I am a real person from the UK and honest only thing i can come up with after reading the reviews of this place on different sites is that the owner is doing his own reviews as no one in there right mind would say this place is any good unless there used to bed bugs and staying in a dirty house...... please save money and travel into the city citys more here charges P950 for there room with aircon you can get a hotel with a pool for P1400 in the city in paco park area, but everywhere is better than manila so get out of the city as soon as you can!!! and never get the new yellow cabs there charge you P580 to go from airport to hotels and drive round in circules such a con. cebu city and angeles city are 2 good places to go and hotels for a good clean place P640 to P880 so enjoy and dont stay here ever.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
skagit flats washington state
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2009

from the emails i received before arrival, i thought this place would be at least ok..
the owner writes a great greeting and information piece when you inquire ...but, my oh my... the reality is something else entirely..... the floor was falling apart.... the toilet paper was not available...the rate was so so , the place was dirty , the staff sullen.... i can not rate this low enough...
i think the owner is american, (i am) and if he is, he should be ashamed of himself for presenting this hotel hostel whatever as something it clearly is NOT....

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

I checked in and this place was so bad I just left without even asking for my money back. The room was like a cell and nothing worked. Heck - even the mirror was cracked. Can we say Detroit Crack house equivalent!
Save you Pesos and sleep on the street - it is cleaner than here.

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Townhouse Hotel / Hostel Manila? Share your experiences!