“You want to save MONEY?STAY HERE,,,” 4 of 5 stars

Townhouse Hotel / Hostel Manila
31 Bayview Drive | Paranaque City, Manila, Luzon, Philippines   |
Ranked #84 of 104 Hotels in Manila
Komatsu, Japan
“You want to save MONEY?STAY HERE,,,”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

we have found this hostel while searching cheap hotels to stay,
me and my wife were glad to stay this hostel because we save a lot of money,food and drinks at the kitchen is so good,we just can't rate cleanliness due to the reconstruction of some rooms inside the hostel,
staffs are very friendly,

(as for recommendation new bed sheets,pillow case and stuffy pillows as well)

• Stayed December 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

Stayed here twice over 8 days while travelling through manila.
Lets start with the positives......
the two ladies on reception that helped us were very friendly. They also looked after some of our luggage inbetween stays.
Unfortunately, that's it......
We chose the more expensive room option in order to have our own bathroom. The first room we stayed in, on the top floor, and ironically called seabird, was absolutely disgusting. The room had a horrible smell, the walls were all mouldy, so much so to the point that the paint was sliding off the walls, the sheets were dirty and the bathroom was that filthy and smelly that they even placed moth balls ( on the floor in moist areas ) to disguise the smell. The second room we stayed in was slightly better, however, the sheets and pillow cases were covered in stains, the shower literally dripped water out when fully open, the toilet had no toilet seat and the balcony ( if you could call it that ) was filthy.
They also offered airport transfers which was nice, except for the fact that the prices they wanted to charge were at least 4 times the price of the local taxis. Very dissapointing.....
Would highly recommend staying elsewhere.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

Very appropriate as a one-night stop located close to the airport. That is why you will want to stay here: Location. The service is friendly, a comprehensive kitchen/bar offering and plenty of chilled space. The WiFi in the lobby was fast even when 10+ were loading it, and having come from the Islands this was a treat. Plenty of interesting books to read to pass the time, you won't want to venture out at night. Room was small and stuffy, not really for 4 adults but it doesn't matter because you will ONLY be here 1 night and it is VERY good value for that! Appreciated the airport shuttle service (p150) though left a little confused as had ordered breakfast night before for 6.30am but even by 7am there was nobody to be seen..

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Gold Coast
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

I stayed only one night and even though it was clean And convenient to the airport I find it really hard to say anything nice about this place. There are other hostels in Manila offering better value.

The staff were unpleasant, unhelpful and everything seemed too hard for them. I had to ask them a few times if they had arranged my airport transfer and was told yes but come morning nothing had been arranged.

As for my room - the shower was broken, the tv was broken and wifi was not working and still they charged me the full price of 950PHP.

I would recommend finding alternative accommodation.

• Stayed February 2014
Worcester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

My wife and I have just stayed yet again at the Townhouse Hostel for what is about my fifth stay. It is a little tired but is still very good value for money - remember that it is very cheap and you are getting value for what you are paying.
I read the comments from others and feel that perhaps expectations need to managed. This is a 'hostel' not a hotel and people seeking hotel standards will be disappointed - especially if basing them on Western standards But if you are wanting a bed, a shower, simple food and a place that is close to the airport at a cheap price then this fits the bill.
The accommodation is basic, and I agree it would certainly benefit from a lick of paint. However I do notice that since my last visit two years ago there have been some improvements to things like the stairs which is welcoming.
I have never found the staff rude, but please bear in mind that English is generally not their first language and threr may be some cultural differences that may tend to lead to some confusion. It is always worth checking a day or two before going that they are expecting you as I have found that on two occasions I was not on the reception list - albeit this was not a problem as accommodation was available.
When available, the taxi to the airport is an excellent option. The driver is very friendly and was more than happy to take us at an unearthly 3.00 a.m. Free WiFi for all guests is available in the public areas and towels available for a deposit. Whilst the beds may be old the bedding is always clean and fresh and they supply toilet tissue, shampoo and soap..
Whilst it may not be palatial it is convenient and cheap. I must admit that we are used to the Philippines and have stayed in places that are very much worse. However, we shall continue to use the Townhouse as the vagaries of public transport in the Philippines can mean it is difficult to accurately plan arrival times in manila (especially if travelling a distance) which could lead to missed flights. We therefore always head to Manila the day before leaving and it is good just to have somewhere to aim for that we can have a rest, shower, change of clothes and final pack before the long flight home. This time we only needed a few hours - but it was worth it and set us up for the journey back.
Overall - cheap, cheerful and convenient.

Room Tip: Air con is useful in the hot season
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
East Maitland, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

Have stayed here a few times each time but with disappointment regarding cleanliness and quality of the stay cheapy air cons, the comfort or lack thereof and rude staff etc but compromised because I was just after a cheap place to stay overnight. Well you get what you pay for. The last straw was this.......

This place may boast closeness with the airport but it's not close to food a cup of coffee or any place where you can just wind down

about May 2011 I Arrived tired traveling with a baby about 8pm. Asked for a downstairs quiet room via email three weeks before arriving. Was promised this room but they put me upstairs in the dirtiest smelly room imaginable. Hungry and tired for my trip and no help with this no coffee or tea even I asked and was prepared to pay. There were sewage pipes running overhead one of the beds and a noisy staircase going over part of the room with noisy drunks going to and from the main foyer area which is the only area with wifi, phones etc..that is if you can wake the attendant there. The shower smelt of drainage and was not usable...The air con was small and not sufficient so we spent the whole night in a stuffy smelly, noisy filthy room....Never again would I stay here. They also have a place in Boracay called Casa Camila and it is as much of a dirty hellhole as this and we have had the pleasure of having an entire week ruined there as well because of the owners filty establishment there as well......pay a few extra bucks and avoid the worst impression and disappointment of the Philippines you could possibly imagine

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

I arrived in Manila around 10pm and booked into the Hostel Manila as it was close to the airport and I had an early morning flight to Cebu the following day.

First, the things I didn't like:

1. It's definitely old and tired looking. The whole building is dingy and really needs a serious makeover.

2. I had nothing but 500 peso bills on me and the staff wasn't able to change one so I could pay for the room. I had to go outside to get change so I could pay. A couple of days into my Philippines trip I realized this is a common scenario but still, can't change a 500 peso bill for a tired guest? Give me a break, I know I'm not the first person with this problem..

3. A minor point, but this place is down a narrow road and behind a gate and was a bit hard to find. My taxi driver had to backtrack twice but finally we found it. In daylight it would have been a lot easier I'm sure.

4. I see some comments by the owner on a few of these reviews and they all say the same thing word for word ("refresh my memory when you stayed with us etc etc"). It might be more useful if the people running this place actually addressed comments in proper context and set out to fix some of the problems people have reported on. Maybe they don't care?

5. Couldn't connect to the wireless at all with my iPhone. Not a big deal for overnight stay but if I were here longer than a night I'd be a bit miffed about this.

Things I liked:

6. The location is good, which is why I booked a room here.

7. I had a single room on the upper floor, and it was ok. Clean, no problems as far as pests go, it was big and the shower was fine, but still it was dingy and depressing looking.

8. The staff were fine and the driver was friendly and helpful when I needed to be at the airport the next morning. For those of you who don't know the driver starts working at 7am so if you have to get to the airport sooner than that you're on your own.

All in all if I was only in Manila to catch a flight and needed a place to put my head down for awhile I'd stay here, but for anything longer than one night, I'd go somewhere else. I'm being a bit generous with 2.5/5 stars here.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Been to Townhouse Hotel / Hostel Manila? Share your experiences!