“great location lacks the rest” 1 of 5 stars

Friendly's Guest House
1750 Adriatico St. Corner Nakpil St., Manila, Luzon, Philippines (Malate)   |
Ranked #19 of 60 Manila B&B and Inns
Manila, Philippines
“great location lacks the rest”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

great location for doing site seeing as a lift off point, but i would not make this my choice of

staying, the place is very run down and reception is hard to track down at the best of time.

Stinky

rooms stained mattresses, the staff
are knowledgeable about place in manila aside from the l

local tourist trail.

I would not stay here again, however the bright side to here is the roof resto and lounge area,

it seems to have a good vibe cold beer and many tourist hanging around.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

99 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Radovljica, Slovenia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

We booked the hostel when arriving to Manila, and came back twice more during our stay in the Philippines. I haven't seen other hostels in Manila, but since I felt really great here, I didn't even wish to. The rooms are quite basic, but the atmosphere is great! You meet backpackers from everywhere, the terrace and the bar are there, and at the time of our stay, a really nice guy named Edwin worked there - he is also your friend&guide around Manila (if you're going there, join his True Manila tour!)
(we stayed there October/November 2011)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

As mentioned in previous reviews, I think that the only thing this place has got going for it is the fact that it is a typical backpackers hostel where you can ( possibly) hook up with other travellers.

Although when we were there the famous rooftop wasn't anything to write home about - just a group of about 8 guys who looked like they had been drinking for the last 2 days without sleep!

We had a twin room, which actually consisted of two bunkbeds! No window. Not much space to move around. Although we did have air con. It cost 975 pesos, which isn't great value really!

We stayed 4 nights and the room was never cleaned. The shared bathrooms are not enough for the number of people they are servicing and they weren't particularly clean.

There was a dead cockroach under a glass in the hall that was there when we checked in and was still there even we checked out. And that wasn't the only cockroach we saw. Not the cleanest place.

On the plus side the location is good and it feels pretty safe. Oh and there's a lift which is helpful!

Apparantly there is free food and drinks on the rooftop, but it was always finished by the time we turned up, so can't comment on the quality! That's our fault though I guess!

All in all it depends what you're looking for! If you're willing to put up with questionable levels of cleanliness and not particularly good value beds for the possibility of making new friends, this is probably the place for you! It's not the best place, but also not the worst I'm sure!

• Stayed March 2013
Carlisle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Friendly is definitely the right word to describle this place. If you want to meet other travellers and take advantage of the fantastic communal space you should definitely stay here, however, if you are looking for an excellent night's sleep then maybe this isn't the place for you. Benji the owner is fantastic, so welcoming and staff are extremely kind and even remember you six months later! Overall I'm so happy I stayed here but I can see that it may not be everyone's cup of tea.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Madrid, Spain
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Small Bedroon, just the size of the bed, with a window bud smell realy bad, and I think there were bugs that go with me the rest of the travel, I was there just because it was late, I have to admit that they let me inspect the room before take it.

The terraze upstrairs was ok, nice people, and free oysters, but the room was disgusting, I went to another place next day.

Habitación muy pequeña, del ancho de la cama, con ventana pero olia mal, me picaron los bichos y creo que me acompañaron el resto del viaje, me fuí al día siguiente, me quedé allí sólo porque cuando fuí era tarde, tengo que admitir que me dejaron ver la habitación antes de quedarmela.

La terraza de arriba estaba muy bien, buen ambiente y Ostras gratis, pero la habitación fue horrible, me fuí al día siguiente.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Japan/USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

This is a typical backpackers place; small, bare, and a tad dirty. A bonus is their rooftop bar and chill out space. If you are there on a Saturday night make sure you enjoy the free wine and snacks on the roof. Good price for what you get and good location.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Prineville, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I don't know quite what to say about this place. It is not particularly clean, organized or convenient, but it has the best atmosphere to chill and connect with other travelers in all of Manila. A really wonderful community meeting place with books, plenty of tables, basic drink service, internet, wi-fi and entertainment center on the top floor. The rooms are very basic, but quiet enough, but extremely barren and, to be honest, the first week I stayed there the dorm room smelled a bit like urine, but the other times I was there it didn't. Lots of night owls stay in this place...
I am going to give this place 4 stars, because I think it important that backpackers who are a bit more relaxed can have a place to go that is low on pretensions, and high on adventurous spirit and fun. I'd stay here again...but I probably wouldn't bring my parents here. haha.
Also, just be sure to secure your belongings here, especially in dorm rooms. Lots of people in and out of rooms and many keep odd hours...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Been to Friendly's Guest House? Share your experiences!