“Boring! A total waste of time” 2 of 5 stars

Type: Educational Sites, Cultural
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This is the oldest university in Asia, founded in 1611, and is one of the world’s largest Roman Catholic universities based on enrollment.
Tel-Aviv
37 attraction reviews
“Boring! A total waste of time”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

I don't understand why there are so many responses here that speak about the academic level of this place. This is a tourist site and so we need to discuss the place as a touristic location. To this point, the place is boring... Just a few gardens. I wouldn't waste my time on it.

Quezon City, Philippines
5 attraction reviews
“Millennium Top Batchnotchers Hub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

Obviously, I love our own. I personally am a jubillarian tint from med. School. Our Main Building, when I was in BS BIOLOGY, was created to withstand earthquakes (Japanese technology). It sways. The Museum for Our national Hero Jose Rizal is their. He was an ophthalmologist and the lenses he used was entrusted for safe keeping to my late mother Phoebe Lim Catipon, MD, PAO, Magna Cumlaude, while the Museum was being built, also the original recipes for paella, tamales and callos which was handed to me too. I will never forget the burgers with egg, the ham and cheese with egg in mint and munch and ala carte. We were supposed to be preparing for the coming of the pope, but Vatican had problems at that time. I remember the time when we burn our eye brows in the big library and the med library studying for every exams. The journals and books were very easily accessible to all the students. I also remember the times when UST won the basketball university championship three in a row against ateneo, lasalle, etc. We had no classes then because of that. Now when I went back recently I got kinda lost because of the big improvements and renovation of the entire campus, , the hospital (both Private and charity) . Everything was brand new except for the historical Main building. We're graduates from there. My late mom, sister, husband, late mother in law and father in law. In my Facebook account you could see the pictures I placed when we were there at that time. Me and my husband was always reprimanded because of HHWW (holding hands while walking)....he, he, he...very strict pontiffical university.......so much to say....but worth the educational system, worth the tour, worth the food and worth the hospital stay....

Visited February 2014
Manila, Philippines
11 attraction reviews
“Oldest University in Asia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

I'm so lucky that University of Santo Tomas (UST) is just beside my condo unit. The campus is very well maintained. You get that "historical" vibe whenever you go inside the buildings or walk through the halls of the classrooms.

Recommendations:

Take a jump shot picture in the main building as it is the main attraction of the campus.

Visited February 2014
Illinois City, Illinois
23 attraction reviews
“A highly acclaimed presitigious university in the Philippines. The Harvard of the Philippines.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

It's a big campus, has good professors and curriculum, safe environment. Catholic oriented school. I'll send my kids here.

Visited January 2014
Vacaville, California
“Santo Tomas during WWII.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

As an American in Manila during WWII, we were put in prison camp here in UST by the Japanese for over 3 years. There were almost 4,000 prisoners during this period.People died of malnutrition, artillary fire, shelling and dysentery. The Japanese were the vilest of enemies. I return with ex-pows almost each year since 1995. Today it is still majestic, proud, and a great Academia Central.
Sascha J