“Great Little Hotel!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Riviera Mansion Hotel

You added Riviera Mansion Hotel to your Saves list
Riviera Mansion Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1638 A Mabini Street, Malate, Manila, Luzon, Philippines   |
Ranked #31 of 106 Hotels in Manila
Iloilo City, Philippines
“Great Little Hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011

For the price and location there is no beating this place. You are just blocks from everything that Malate has to offer. Live band bars, karaoke, restaurants, and spa's galore. For those who like to gamble this is the place for you ... Casino Filipino is right across the street and the Hyatt Casino is only a few blocks away. If you enjoy a healthy dose of the nightlife but don't want to spend too much or listen to music and noise blaring from the streets then this is the place for you.

The service here was great. There are many places that I have stayed at in Philippines, that were supposed to be 4 or 5 star hotels, that should send their employees here to train. The door men were very polite and nice. Constantly making jokes with me as I would come and go throughout the day/night. The front desk personnel were very friendly and efficient. Checking in was very quick and easy to do.

The only reason why this hotel is receiving 4 stars and not 5 is because you must pay for internet (by total usage, though they have a home screen that shows you your usage making it easy to keep track of) and the fact that they do not have a safe in the rooms. I like to carry lots of cash when I travel so I was really hoping to have a safe available for cash as well as my camera and lenses.

Bottom line, this is by far my favorite budget hotel in Manila and will stay here on every visit to the city.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Indonesian first
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

Room refurbished and nice although oddly the new carpets looked like 70s design. Good bathroom. Location is good for Malate. Security was good. Service was very professional and friendly. Noise was a problem though. Stayed 1st night on 8th floor facing street. Street noise like horns all night long interrupted our sleep. Moved to another 8th floor room with a window facing a wall. Thus no natural light but got rid of steet noice. However, room had an interconnecting door, which was of course locked but it meant that we could hear the neighbours (and vice versa, presumably) on and off - mostly on when the kid got up at 6:00.

Paid PH pesos 2125 for a double room with no breakfast. WIFI was 100 pesos for 1 hour (log on and off as much as you like within 24 hours). Yes, by no means is this a 5 star hotel but at this rate we found it great value. Stayed 4 nights.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Broome, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

ah all i can say is Riviera Hotel is a very good place to stay in Manila a great value for the price we paid for . We stayed in a newly renovated room at 15th floor . the bathroom is so great with a new bath tub on it very clean room and comfortable bed and luckily our room is facing toward manila bay for the suit we only paid 2,200. pesos and no meals or breakfast but the accommodation is like we are in a 5 star hotel . With very friendly staffs and housekeeping is so great what can i ask for? nothing else . we surely come back again in this place and we recommend this hotel to all our friends who wants to travel to the Philippines . The location is so great near to Robinson's Mall in this place a lot of restaurant to choose good shop and also Riviera is in front of Casino and very near to Manila bay walk. hey guys don't miss the sunset in Manila bay it is one of the beautiful sunset in the whole world .

Room Tip: if you stay at Riviera Hotel stay at 15th floor
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

It's on the Mabini, the main street in Ermita, half a block West of the Grand Hyatt, 1 block West of the Manilla Bay boardwalk, 4 blocks away from the big Robinson mall, half a mile from the US Embassy, and is pretty much at the center for dining and entertainment of Manilla.

The place is very quiet. the room is small but nice and clean, serviceable. There is a small empty fridge, but there is no safe in the room. The bed is nice,solid and comfortable. Sheets and linens are white, nice and clean. The wired internet hook up is fast and trouble-free.

It comes with a free continental breakfast, which is a few pieces of toast with jelly and butter, a cup of coffee and a small glass of tang.

Front desk people are friendly, efficient and professional. The cleaning crew work quietly and fast. For the price and the convenience, I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

The people were sooo great taxi service guards waiters bell hops everyone was class AAAA can not say enough good things food was five star and the cost was shamefully cheap so cheap was the prices I felt guilty Room was immaculant and hot showers everything so so good

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2011

This hotel is actually not bad.

I as given a renovated room Double Premier and the room look clean, decent and spacious. Staff is friendly.

However, I do not understand why after renovation, they did not install a safe box into each room. I understand that they have safe boxes at the recept but I am uncomfortable with that. Also, there is no free Wi-Fi. Even budget hotel like Go Hotel and Chill Out Guest House can provide free Wi-Fi. I guess this is their cash cow so why shoudl they give it up?

In terms of location, it is good.

Though there are some hiccups during my stay but generally it is still a good hotel.

They fail to fix the air con and it was after much ding dong, they then realise their mistake and upgrade me to a junior suite. By then the sky is dark and I miss my only chance to view the sunset in Manila Bay. :(

Room Tip: Ask for high floor.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2011

The Riviera Mansion Hotel is indeed a far cry from being a mansion itself, let alone the location that it is so mockingly placed on.

Permeated along the bustling red light district of Mabini in Malate, this building opens up to a myriad of characters, i.e., businessmen, travelers, expats with or looking for prostitutes, gamblers, junkies, etc. As travelers, we chose to stay here due to its proximity to NAIA. We were accommodated by the pleasant receptionist and was assisted by a nice bellboy to our room, which was in the newly renovated area at the end of the 3rd floor.

Our room was a deluxe with a bathroom (tub), dressing table, refrigerator, cabinet, TV, luggage area, lounge chair and a queen-size bed with side tables and lamps. It may seem impressive, but not completely;
- The bed and pillows were too bouncy to be comfortable. My husband and I couldn't sleep well at all;
- Our door was adjacent to the service elevator and fire exit, so we could hear the movements and conversations of the staff passing along the corridor;
- The room service food was a joke. My husband ordered two green salad, which was quoted in the menu with a high and unreasonable price. The dishes arrived soggy and not fresh.

And then there was my own infuriating encounter in the elevator with a naked Korean man on the last night of our stay in Riviera. I left my husband resting in the room to meet my cousin at the lobby. I took the elevator and pressed G for ground floor. To my awful surprise the door later opened to the appalling image of a naked Korean man standing in front of the elevator door, which apparently was on the 6th floor. I instantly screamed at him, saying "Get out!" while pressing the close button. It closed and opened again to the same floor with the ugly Korean trying to come inside the elevator carriage and talk to me. After a few more screams, I succeeded to close the door and reach the lobby.

Enraged and annoyed as I was, I immediately complained to the receptionist about the presence of the naked Korean (who was seemingly waiting for a prostitute) on the 6th floor corridor. The receptionist listened and asked the guard to check on the case. A few minutes later, the receptionist told me the stupid excuse of the Korean, saying that he was looking for somebody to help him fix the television. I told the receptionist that it's the hotel's responsibility to keep the premises in peace and order, and such misbehavior should be reprimanded right away to prevent further disturbances to other guests.

Not long after the said Korean appeared in the lobby partially dressed. He paraded in his denim shorts and sling bag, no shirt and no shoes. The receptionist and the guard both told him that he could not go outside without a shirt on. Instead of going straight to his room, the Korean sat in front of me in the lobby. I instantly shouted at him to put his clothes on and reminded him that he's not in his own country. After, he stood up and took the elevator to his room. I never saw him afterwards. The management later sent me a letter of apology regarding this unnecessary incident.

This incident happened last month. In my opinion, there should be a guard or a staff in each of the hotel's elevators to protect its guests from anomalies caused by other guests and outsiders. And to the hotel management, please do not be complacent about the dubious behavior of your guests, most especially the foreigners. They may pay a lot more than the locals, but they should not be allowed to treat our country like their garage.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
jerico68, Manager at Riviera Mansion Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2011
We are sorry that you had to witness such an incident.  Rest assured that the incident was not taken lightly. The guest was reprimanded that same night and was also warned that he would be banned from our hotel if an incident of similar nature happened again.  Security was also assigned to his floor for the remainder of his stay to prevent any further disturbance to other guests.  His guest profile has also been flagged to prevent future incidents.  These kinds of behavior are not being tolerated. We treat all guests equally and we do not discriminate based on nationality.

As for the other points in the review:
1. Foreigners DO NOT pay more than the locals.  Foreigners enjoy the same promo rates that local residents get.
2. The word Mansion in our name does not mean we are a 5-star hotel.  Some Hotels in the area have used the word Mansion to denote a hotel that offer daily rates as well as hugely discounted monthly rates to guests.  We have been designated a 3-star budget hotel and we do not and have never claimed to be otherwise.
3. As with any other location, Malate is not for everyone.  It does have a lot to offer though.  For the businessmen, the convention centers are just a short commute away.  For the travelers, close to the domestic and international airports as well as popular tourist destinations in Manila.  For the expats, the huge mall around the corner and nightlife along Adriatico St.  For people who love a game of chance, the Hyatt casino just across the street.  But as with most areas in Metro Manila, there will be homeless people and beggars (NOT junkies, junkies connote heroin junkies or drug addicts) but they do not harm anyone.  I guess it is up to us to understand the harsh realities of this world.
4. Our green salad is priced at P150 or US$3.50.
"High and unreasonably priced" -  I will look into other hotels' pricing.
"Not fresh and soggy"  -  Can be replaced or refunded at your discretion.

I thank you for bringing this to our attention and all valid points will not be ignored.  We strive to provide excellent service and quality accommodations at budget-friendly rates to our valued guests.