“Old classic church” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 119 things to do in Manila
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Also known as "Our Lady of Miraculous Medal," the Virgin Mary image in the Malate Church is where the Filipino have prayed in times of trouble for over four centuries.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
259 attraction reviews
“Old classic church”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2015 NEW

The Malate Catholic Church was originally built in 1588 by the Augustinian (OSA) friars and is considered one of the oldest churches in Manila, outside the walls of Intramuros. through the years it has been damaged by natural disasters and it has been rebuilt several times over the past four centuries. the bricks of the outside of the church is black and grey. alot of marriages are held in this church. Worth the visit.

Visited May 2015

• Indonesian first
6 attraction reviews
“Great sight but tough location ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2015 NEW

Don't get me wrong, this church is beautiful and is a sight everyone should see. I do suggest you think about the area a little bit first. I walked from the New World hotel down to the church. I was ok going solo because I know the area and it doesn't bother me. If you are on edge about poverty or a female walking alone I wouldn't recommend the walk. Take a taxi instead. All of that aside, the church itself is a great place to visit.

Haverhill, United Kingdom
22 attraction reviews
“Not Such A Holy Palm Sunday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2015

Friends took my wife and me to palm Sunday Mass at Malate Church. It was good from my point of view because the priest was Irish and the mass was said in English rather than tugalog.
The church is very ornate with lots of statues and pictures but because a mass was in progress and the church was packed I did not take photos.
A WORD OF WARNING
While in church my mobile phone was stolen from a buttoned pocket. I reported it to the police and was advised to be aware of children who are trained to pick pockets. Because the church was crowded and we were surrounded by people close it was easy to be targetted.

Derry City
5 attraction reviews
“Full of Character and History”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2015

I attended mass here on a recent visit to Manila. The Church is old and in need of a lot of repairs. The state of the Church does not take away from the feeling of history it has.
Mass was celebrated by an Irish Priest, it was amazing that I know his brother well.
I was made to feel very welcome by the congregation I met when I was there.
If you are not a Catholic or a religious person, I would still encourage you to visit and wonder at the History there.
Each time I return to Manila I make a point of visiting and I hope I can do this if I am lucky to visit another time.

Visited April 2015
Vienna, Austria
4 attraction reviews
“A true feeling of warmth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2015

I'm not really a great fan of churches, but there is someting in the atmosphere at the Malate Church that envelopes you with a feeling of warmth. No grand architecture or marvelous paintings here, just nice vibes.

Also, you might be interested in a section close to the front of the church that tells you about its history, particularly during WWII under the Japanese occupation.