“not bad” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Orchid Garden Suites

You added Orchid Garden Suites to your Saves list
Orchid Garden Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   620 Pablo Ocampo Sr. Street | Malate, Manila, Luzon 2004, Philippines   |
Ranked #18 of 104 Hotels in Manila
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
“not bad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

Not a bad hotel, but a quaint boutique hotel with some very nice touches and some drawbacks. I was booked in here by local hosts and paid for a few nights myself; as my room was upgraded for free, I had a suite overlooking Manila Bay for € 42 including breakfast, which is cheap even by Manila standards.

Pluses:
+ modern bedroom with good bed
+ good tv and programming
+ varied, small but fresh breakfast with local specialties
+ friendly, very honest staff
+ cheap laundry
+ usually empty pool
+ very cheap
+ good safety regulations and team
+ view of Manila Bay, if distant

Minuses:
- old-fashioned living-room with no writing desk or closet space
- very loud, very sharp A/C that did not even manage to cool the living room
- rather noisy from the outside (windows), no matter which side, from cars to roosters
- no place to plug in international gadgets except two far from any table etc.
- no face or hand towels in the bathroom and very cheap condiments
- pool so heavily chemicaled that an accidental drop on the lips outright hurt (you do need goggles)
- breakfast only til 10am
- relatively slow laundry
- it is not possible to walk to or from the rooms (from or to the lobby / ground floor) without taking the elevator for at least one floor. That's due to the peculiar architecture of the hotel, but of course it's an immense hazard in case of fire, earthquakes etc.

Across the street, to the left (past the hotel there) and first one right, is the old Harrison Plaza mall. This is close by (one is in the access way in about three minutes), and although not glitzy, has all in the conveniences (food, clothes, services, small restaurants) one could need.

If one walks on rather than turning, one reaches Manila Bay at the ASEAN garden in less than 15 minutes.

Recommended as a quite cheap, not-bad Manila option, but in a city with luxury ***** hotels below € 100, not necessarily a place I would visit again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

The wifi never worked in the room on the 8th floor and despite countless requests they were not able to fix it. It worked well on the ground floor and I finally gave up trying to work in the room and just sat at the lobby. It faces a building on all sides and you have to keep your curtains drawn :(

Things I liked: spacious room. a. Good for a family. b. reasonable breakfast buffet spread.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

I stay here every time I go to Manila. The location is great - close to the airport, shopping, nightlife, Roxas Blvd, and plenty of places to eat. I've seen the hotel evolve over the past year making it more modern and comfortable. They recently added a new annex where they serve their breakfast. Although the staff at the front desk seems like new employees all the time, the security people are the same and always remember me. On the plane back home, I watched a Filipino movie and there were several scenes filmed at the Orchid Garden Suites. I immediately recognized the place. The rooms are comfortable, the staff is friendly and attentive, and the price is very reasonable. I will definitely continue to stay here.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Pasig, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

Stayed there with my family in May 2014 and we were very happy customers. This a a gem of a hotel - clean, comfortable, good food and friendly staff. We booked several rooms and all of them were very spacious from single room to family room. The ambience was much like in Italy with their decor and design details. I would even commend the security guards there who came ready to rescue us when our taxi driver tried to dupe us. When we checked in, we asked for extra bed and it was immediately done and delivered in no time. The only thing that I can say not so good was that when my 2 big burly sons were eating there, staff spoke in local language (they thought my sons don't understand them) and said that they eat too much (it is buffet afterall) and not some so nice words.

We would definitely go back and recommend to friends and families.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

Stayed here last August 24-25, 2013 for our organization's Aikido event in nearby PAJA. The beautiful boutique hotel is always the first choice in accommodation since it's only 5 minutes away from Rizal Stadium where the event is held. Good value for your money, very near tourist spots like Manila Ocean Park, Intramuros, CCP, Manila Bay, etc and the airport. Accessible to taxis, bus, LRT, I actually took the bus home to Las Piñas which passed right in front of the hotel. It was a promo rate when I booked our Japanese Sensei's & the Org's rooms only cost PHP2100 /night/room [$48-50]. My room costs more since I booked it the previous month which was a regular rate PHP2600 [$59-61]. All the rooms have free wifi, hot & cold water, and free breakfast for 2. I loved my stay there and I even go back to the hotel for breakfast buffet for only PHP350 [$8-10]. I suggest you get the rooms from the 8th floor and above to avoid the noise from the restaurant and to get a good view. The first room they gave me was in the 7th floor and it was hideous! I asked for another room and they gave me a room in the 10th floor which is an improvement. I paid for my room one month in advance but I got my room an hour late, they gave me a complimentary fruit plate for the inconvenience. :)

Room Tip: Get rooms from the 8th floor and above to get a better view outside and to avoid the noise from the...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
quezon city
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

Orchid Garden Suites probably one if not the very first boutique hotel in Manila is simply quaint and gives one a taste of the elegant homes of the old rich of Manila. It is quiet and not garish with an elegant facade. The rooms all have a view and if you're in the top floors you can see Manila Bay. We particularly like the swimming pool located in a tree lined corner that sometimes you feel like its your own private pool. And of course the location, its right smack in the middle of Manila's restaurants and nearby interesting places i.e. Rizal Park, CCP Complex and the bars of Bohemian Malate. And finally the rates are not that bad either, one can say its value for your money....

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
General Santos City, General Santos, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

I really recommend others to try visit Orchid Garden Suites if you are staying in Manila. Their hotel is near at the airport more or less 30mins. Also it is near tourist spots like Manila Zoo, Manila Ocean Park, Rizal Park and Intramuros. Also Mall of Asia is just a short taxi ride away. The hotel lobby is not that big but it has class in it. It is a boutique hotel. Their buffet breakfast is superb and already complete for Filipinos and foreigners alike. The price is just right for your budget without taking the comfort of your stay. Their most prize possessions are their staff which are all courteous, polite and helpful in any way they can.The place is perfect for family and businessmen alike.

• Stayed April 2014

Been to Orchid Garden Suites? Share your experiences!