“A wonderful oasis in Manila's chaos” 5 of 5 stars

Malate Pensionne
1771 M. Adriatico St., Manila, Luzon 1004, Philippines   |
Ranked #38 of 102 hotels in Manila
London
“A wonderful oasis in Manila's chaos”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I entered the light, bright, cool reception and was greeted by the polite and charming staff. I asked for a quiet budget fan room and was shown to a clean, spacious room at the rear of the building overlooking a side street. With the window shut I could hear none of the horrendous din of Adriatico St and there was even a desk, chair and mirror. There was no building work occurring and I was not put under any pressure to use the hotel's taxi service which was simply listed on the information sheet. I enquired about the wi-fi access and was told that I could use it for free for 15 minutes; I actually used it for at least 30 minutes but it didn't concern the reception staff. Throughout my stay, all the staff - reception, security, porters etc. were all polite and helpful. I enjoyed blissful sleep during my 3 night stay. At 750P I think this represents very good value and a convenient location close to cafes, shops and easy access to sights. Apart from the rather cramped bathrooms, I have no complaints!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are blissfully quiet.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

131 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Polish first
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I stayed here twice for a night when I was travelling backwards and forwards from Manila. The rudeness of the staff was horrific - disinterested, unhelpful - even when taking your money!
The lobby is absolutely mosquito ridden and as others have mentioned 90 pesos for sporadic internet access is horrific.
I stayed in the dorm room and there were no other guests but me - the room itself was fine and I loved the old features of the place - lots of ornate wood - the bathrooms are small but fine.
The main problem is the rudeness of the staff and they also tried to rip me off with their car service. They constantly try to push this on you yet its 3x the price of flagging a metered car down outside. when you point this out they just shrug.
However despite the extortionate price knowing Manila well and how hard it is getting taxis in monsoons I booked one of their cars to take me to the airport -at a ridiculous 400 pesos. 5 minutes before I was due to leave they told me I would be sharing the cab with another couple - when I asked if this meant the cost would be halved they told me no and that the cost would still be 400 pesos - so they were essentially charging 800 pesos for what should have been a 150 peso trip!
I argued with them and was told that they didnt care whether i used their service or not so i walked straight outside where their helpful bellboy and securityguard ensured I got a guaranteed 150 peso price to the airport - they were great - but the reception staff should all be sacked.and start from scratch. I've never come across such bad service anywhere.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Imagine this: October 9 2012 I arrived in the afternoon in Manila and was dropped off at this "hotel". First thing I noticed was that it was about 40 degrees Celsius at the reception with no a/c or fans. They showed me the room I had booked which was "fine" (after having had a quick glance) and considering it was a budget room. Later in the evening I noticed there were lizards all over the bathroom, cockroaches behind the cupboard, no actual window just a mosquito net that was inviting mosquitoes in, no hot water and words could not describe the state of the bathroom.

I ended up going to bed and was woken up at 6 am to the sound of a sledge hammer smashing the concrete a metre away from my pillow, not to mention the road drill (the one that is used to asphalt) outside the window.

Do you want me to continue..?

I spoke with the manager the following day and the only option he gave me was to use ear plugs and offered a free meal (when food in Philippines is notorious for being cheap). He said
the construction work was being done to prepare for the busy peak months and decided not to warn us. When asked why he could only say sorry and nothing more.

There was no service and I advise every one to stay away!

Proceed at your own risk...

Room Tip: Do NOT stay here. They robbed us of our money and offered us no value for it.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Malate P, General Manager at Malate Pensionne, responded to this review, November 12, 2012

There was no service and I advise every one to stay away!
My reply to this comment: I met this guest outside by the sidewalk as he was exiting the property & in a friendly manner inquired where he was from & how was everything. He had already checked out. He seemed like an amiable person & he said that he couldn't sleep that morning, that he had arrived in the early morning from the UK & needed to catch up on his sleep. I commiserated & apologized for the drilling. It was about almost noon time. I mentioned that I have a guest from Ireland who sleeps in the day & asked for ear plugs & was fine with that and offered the same to this guest plus since he was already on his way, offered if at least I could buy him breakfast at the Coffee Bean & Tea & he declined & went on his way. An average breakfast at this American restaurant chain is about P400 a person. Had he not been too quick to walk away & had he asked to talk to me before he checked out to see what I could do for him, I would have made every effort to make his stay comfortable & restful. Don't simply walk out without giving management an opportunity to make it right for you then say nasty things after the fact. We were over 50% capacity & this guest was the only one who walked out that day. Everyone who talked to me first got satisfaction and no one walked out. We get many many repeat guest who love coming back to us. By the way, as one enters the property, one can see that there is obviously construction going on & it would behoove us to repeat the obvious when a guest checks in.
Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

We only had one night, and we had to find a place quickly. Trusting Lonely Planet, we came here to stay overnight. By the time we left, we agreed that it was the worst hotel stay we had ever had.
We shared our room with several cockroaches and at least one rat. Two cockroaches died in our bathroom, which made us wonder what kind of poison we were breathing in while we were in the room.
Also, staff is somewhere between average and rude, and wifi is 90 pesos/hr, which is annoying.
Obviously, we will never return, and you should not ever visit this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

During January 2012 I spent 7 happy days staying in the calm oasis that is Manila's "Malate Pensionne". I had second floor "De-Luxe" double room Number 457, from which I was able to access the Free WiFi from the cafe/bar next door ! My quiet room also had A/C, satellite TV and endless hot water. The staff at Malate Pensionne are extremely kind and helpful and after the frenetic street life of Metro Manila, it was always a relief to re-enter the calm portals of this well run and very clean guesthouse.My room was 1,400 Peso's per night and I managed to secure a 10% discount as I stayed a week. I very much recomend staying here. The only negative is that they charge extra to access their WiFi, which seems rather mean to me.

Room Tip: Some of the first and second floor rooms, to the rear, can gain free access to the next door cafes W...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Oahu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

If you are looking for an inexpensive place to stay that is relatively close to the airport and Manila Bay, then Malate Pensionne is a good choice. My family and I have stayed here many times over the years, and the staff has always been friendly and courteous. They work hard to keep it as clean as they can, and guest safety both on and off property is very important to them. They will often go above and beyond to help their guests in times of crisis. For example, while I was there during this last trip, a girl staying at the hotel was victimized in another part of town. Even though the crime happened an hour away and was in no way connected to the hotel or any of its employees, I sat in the lobby and watched the staff discuss the best way that they could help her. Under the direction of the General Manager, the staff took her to the police station to file a report, they took her to the hospital to make sure she was o.k., they helped her get her documents in order, and made sure she was able to safely travel home to her country - and they didn't charge her a dime for the extra service. Who does this except for people who truly care about others? There is also an armed guard on the premises 24-7 so a lot of the nightlife elements never infiltrate the hotel.

The hotel is also family friendly, the house rules clearly state that only registered guests are allowed in the rooms. You never have to worry about hookers infiltrating the rooms because the staff WILL ask to see marriage licenses if they suspect guests are not married. It may seem a bit extreme, but providing a safe place for families to stay is very important to the owners.

There are some cons, namely that Wi-Fi is really spotty and they charge 90 pesos an hour which is way too much considering how unreliable the service is. I would rather have free wi-fi since I do a lot of business while I travel. Also, there are not a lot of dining choices in the area, and the amount of solicitors on the street selling their wares and nearby condos can get downright annoying and intrusive. I was forced to be rude to several of them, and I hate that. Fortunately, the hotel doesn't allow them near the entrance or on the sidewalk in front of their property so once you cross the "safe line", you feel better.

Overall, our stay was clean and comfortable (although the pillows are way too flimsy). It is an older property, which means they are going through some heavy renovation but I would rather stay here where I feel safe than somewhere I haven't tried before. The staff gets to know its regulars and that's really what makes it feel like a home away from home. Also, they have a new General Manager who just moved back from the States. He's a really down-to-earth friendly guy who actively listens to guest feedback. It's obvious since he took over that many guest concerns mentioned in previous reviews have already been addressed. I look forward to returning next time I go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the garden or the lobby.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

My wife & I stayed for a week. the staff was very solicitous & helpful. We had checked other pensions in the area prior to this and Malate Pensionne had the ambiance of days gone by. Even with the renovation going on, it maintained it's feel of warmth & hominess. We stayed in a family room which included cable TV, option of using a ceiling fan or the air conditioner, large queen size bed, great large soft bath towels that wraps around you (my wife loves this) and my wife slept well on the mattress which is an important factor for us. The pillows could be better though. The much talked about Star Bucks in the front entrance has been replaced by a new Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf which served breakfast, lunch & dinner & snacks at very reasonable prices. Free wifi too & great coffee. We are connoseurs of coffee. At under $40.00 USD a night, we would come back & recommend it. Great security too. They make sure only registered guest are allowed inside the hotel hallways. I understand that a new upscale deluxe annex building is scheduled to open later this year with the comfort of a four star without a 4 star price. Might give it a try next time.

Room Tip: Spend a few bucks & get a room with an air conditioner. You get what you pay for. Why suffer in...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Malate Pensionne? Share your experiences!