“One of the best hotel lobbies” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Manila Hotel

You added Manila Hotel to your Saves list
Manila Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   One Rizal Park, Manila, Luzon 0913, Philippines (Walled City)   |
Ranked #4 of 105 Hotels in Manila
“One of the best hotel lobbies”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

I like the lobby here because even when there is music played it is not drowned out. The acoustics of this place is among the best there is I've seen among hotels across Metro Manila and even across the entire country of the Philippines. The paintings are also apt in showing the portions of Philippine history and rural life.

Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

I really had a great time at Manila Hotel. This place has it all, history, quality service, EXCELLENT FOOD, comfortable rooms, magnificent location, great gym, big pool, and fun live singing entertainment. This was the last leg of our family trip and it was the best place to end it. I really miss Manila Hotel and their Breakfast Buffet.

Food: I can’t say it enough—the food is amazing here. The Breakfast Buffet is the best I have ever eaten and I have traveled to Europe, all over America, been to South America and Mexico—this is—hands down--the best I have ever eaten. There is something for everyone and the food is warm, plentiful and the servers are always so attentive. One server in particular, Mags, kept giving my family and I mangoes, warm pandesal, juice, milk—he was just great. If he is out there and reading this—Mags, you are the best server ever!

Location: My sister and I braved the extreme heat and humidity and walked to Intramuros. It’s a quick walk but with the heat it is completely unbearable. I live in Boston and am so used to walking around everywhere but in the Philippines it is a completely different story! Nevertheless, the hotel is within walking distance to Intramuros, Luneta (now called Rizal Park), and Manila Ocean Park.

Hotel Amenities: THE GYM----AMAZING. The locker room is better than the locker rooms I have in my gym! Usually I dread working out during a vacation but I had a blast working out in this gym because it was so clean, the machines were new and modern and the treadmills/ellipticals were brand new! There is a sauna in the locker room and hot tub. The pool is also great with a swim up bar. The live entertainment was spectacular (so I heard). I was not able to go because I was feverish one of the nights but my family said the singer was great.

Room: The room was slightly old and the carpet around the hotel is obnoxiously green. It is an averaged sized room but the bathrooms were really really nice. There was a TV in our bathroom with a bathtub and a separate shower. Our bathtub drain was broken though so we had to call maintenance. They came promptly about 20 minutes after our call and fixed it.

Service: I overheard the staff talking about a woman freaking out because her food was not warm and she found a hair strand on her plate of food. The staff was very scared and very attentive to her needs. Frankly, the woman was over bearing and the strand of hair was probably hers because no one else had the same problem—but the fact that the staff was really scared and did everything they could to accommodate the distressed diva meant a lot to me. Every day I was greeted with a “Hello Ma’am” or “good evening ma’am”. They were very courteous and helpful. They really wanted your stay to be excellent and as a guest, I really felt welcomed.

I could go on and on about this place but my review is long enough. I really enjoyed this place and for the price it is just simply excellent. I highly recommend staying here!!!!!! THANK YOU MANILA HOTEL!!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Mindanao, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Currently staying at this hotel and it never disappoints! Always classy and service is exceptional! The rooms are in great shape and very very clean, not to mention the great view the rooms have. We have foreign guests traveling with us and the hotel reflects true Filipino hospitality and the ambiance, the country's history and culture. This hotel is a prize! Location is very convenient too. This is Manila, at its finest!

Stayed July 2014
Manila, Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Recently chanced upon a promo rate for a Manila Hotel room on their website. it says that for 3,800 Philippine peso a night, you get an overnight stay with breakfast for two! I couldn't believe my eyes and immediately booked a room for a stay cation with my son before school opens..

And we were not disappointed! I was half expecting a catch somewhere, but apparently I was just being paranoid...check in went without a hitch. I was initially given a room on the sixth floor where you see a golf course out from the window, but upon hearing maintenance work going on somewhere, we were moved to the 13th floor! this time room was facing the ocean, and to our right, the port area...it was wonderful in the dusk as you get to witness the sunset from your room but early morning, the mist from the ocean is sprayed all over the window panes that it is hard to discern if it's raining or not...

breakfast was complete, but not truly spectacular...sort of like just what one would have at home, but not all at the same time. There were an assortment of meats like Canadian ham, sausages and bacon, but the bacon was tough, not crunchy as it should be. Garlic rice was too dry and hard on the stomach. The arroz caldo or chicken congee was flavorful, but a bit too watery. Would have been better if it was a bit thicker....more filling that way.

The blueberry Danish was good though. And there was a very delicate Taho or soybean curd which is a must try...complete with the sweet molasses syrup and small pearl like sago

Only sad part is that service in Cafe Ylang Ylang that morning not as good...
Somebody did give us coffee but no milk to pour as small container was empty. Packet of brown sugars were also used up by previous diners but not replenished.

Table was not even setup properly as my cover had no utensils...due to lack of service personnel, I had to ask my son to get utensils from the other table for me..a waiter saw us do this from the corner of his eye but did not bother coming to ask if we need anything else....

Person manning the eggs station intentionally turned his back to us as he saw me approach. Probably crossing his fingers for me to take the cooked eggs drying out under the bright spotlight. So I had to talk to him even as his back was towards me...to which he turned around and cooked my request with a forced smile...

Pool was okay and we had the whole place to ourselves that morning."..that was fun.

overall, it was okay, price was unbeatable, but the overwhelming lobby and front desk people should trade places with the resto staff. The former were too fussy while the latter were ignoring people outright.

King size bed was also a plus for us....other hotels seem to stop at a queen....

Overall, this is a great value hotel. But the resto staff are a bit tired and too comfortable, except for the lobby people and the room attendants, who were very cheerful and helpful.

Room Tip: Left side rooms overlook manila bay while right side rooms overlook the Intramuros golf course..take...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Iligan, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

Seriously...You cannot beat this hotel in any way possible. From the moment I walked in, I thought I was on a Hollywood movie set, then started thinking that I was in "a rich man's hotel". I was completely overwhelmed by the early-20th century clothing that everyone wore, and I thought to myself that this was the classiest place that I had ever seen.

Hospitality...This place has more hospitality just getting through the front door than most hotels show in a year. Everyone is smiling and seems to be having a good time...and they WORK there! No matter where I walked, everyone greeted me with an honest, warm invitation that put me completely at ease.

Value...Priced in the $60-$120 range, you will never get better than this. The rooms were perfectly spotless in all areas...and I'm an Army Infantryman, so we KNOW what spotless should be looking like. A free breakfast was included, and we're not talking about the crappy "continental breakfast" that tastes like a cardboard box that you normally get in most U.S. hotels. We are talking about REAL food, American, Filipino, French, and more. My God, it was a glimpse of Heaven itself.

If you're staying in Manila, don't go anywhere else. Go to the Manila Hotel. This place is fantastic.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

This was the great grand hotel in this part of the world - think Raffles, Peninsula, except in price - and it still is. Not only architecturally, but also in service and amenities. It's not a Sofitel, W, or Shangri-La, but for some of us that's a plus, not a minus. Yes, there are several glitches and issues, but that happens absolutely everywhere (show me a hotel where it doesn't), and in no way does that distract from the luxury level. The lobby is not only impressive, but really very nice; it may be crowded by Chinese tourists slurping noodles these days, but this is no fault of the hotel, but a result of how the world turns. (They probably earn better than you do.)

I had a great upscale room in fabulous colonial-filipino design (no, friends, this is not 1980s style, it's 1910s style!) with a great view and sliding gazebo doors over Manila Bay and the famous sunset. The window wasn't always polished and there often was entertainment noise or noise from festivals at the next-door Ocean Park, but that's how it is. Great kingsize bed with good linens and pillows. Plenty of closet space. I would have preferred parquet over carpet, but the carpet was fine.

Good bathroom. Walk-in large shower with excellent rough stone floor. Semi-Japanese toilet (i.e. bidet function). Nice condiments, but hardly ever replenished; towel service a bit sketchy, but one can always ask. Turndown service with renewal of used towels etc. Normal service sometimes a bit tardy.

Location - some people here complain because it is not close by where they want to go. Well, then get a hotel next to your destination! In Manila, if you have several ones, you always need a cab, and yes traffic isn't great. But that's so for every hotel. The Manila Hotel is in easy walking distance to both Rizal Park (which is grand) and Intramuros; safe and convenient. There is a free shuttle bus to several museums and malls (don't ask me why one would want to go to the latter, but apparently many people like those); not a very tidy car, but heck, it's a freebie. Overpriced (normal) but good and convenient airport transfer.

Good room service, reasonably priced. The breakfast is very good - not excellent like in KL say or the big Indian restaurants, but on par with Western top hotels. Great gym, nice locker and jacuzzi area; the pool is okay without being spectacular, as I like to swim laps, rather than hang out at the pool bar, but that's just me. Staff was always friendly; not always seasoned and super competent, but so what, I do not expect that, nor do I regard "well-trained" as an appropriate concept for non-dogs.

Beyond the details, this is a hotel I was always happy to come "home to" - and the life quality in the room was very nice. Not only would I always return here when in Manila (and I saw some of the more modern competitors), but a Manila stopover or brief visit is actually more likely because one can stay at the Manila Hotel.

Room Tip: Insist on a high-up room facing the Bay. I think semi-suites are too expensive and the basic rooms...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

since then MANILA HOTEL still a HOME SWEET HOME Hotel if you are on VACATION n Manila Philippines as a GUEST (2014 May) staying @ 15th Floor "Executive Room" w/ Gen. Douglas MacArthur Lounge Club and a Prestige Card Member . all the Hotel Staff are Friendly (Mr. Peter Sy- Executive VIP Rooms SUPERVISOR and BUTLERS- Ms. Denise, Mr. Andrew, Ms. Olca) services are Excellent especially the Daily Foods are Personalized prepared for YOU, ohh soo YUMMY especially the Manila Hotel Service CAR will pick you up ON TIME upon Arrival @ the Airport w/ Smile...La Sallites (Taft Avenue Mla.) '80s

Room Tip: 15th Floor "Executive Rooms" are Highly Recommended to all BALIKBAYAN to stay...it's Q...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo