“Historic Hotel, Great Breakfast Buffet, Service Could Be Better” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Manila Hotel

You added Manila Hotel to your Saves list
Manila Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   One Rizal Park, Manila, Luzon 0913, Philippines (Walled City)   |
Ranked #4 of 104 Hotels in Manila
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York City, New York
“Historic Hotel, Great Breakfast Buffet, Service Could Be Better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

The Manila Hotel is a beautiful, historic hotel. In the past, we usually stayed with family, so this was my first hotel experience in Manila. The hotel is a bit far from Makati, but we liked that we were away from all that hustle and bustle. We had a view of the historic walled city and it was nice to be able to walk and tour that area. I highly recommend it. The buffet breakfast at the hotel was equal to many of the 5-star hotels we have stayed in the past in Asia. You can also walk to the Ocean Park area where there are several restaurants, including a nice outdoor bar area with great views of the Manila Bay at sunset. My only complaint would be regarding the front desk staff, who could use some training in "smiling and being more friendly". They all seem to be in a bad mood, maybe because they were dressed like Disney princesses. There was once concierge who was great. He went of his way to help me with an issue. The other concierges, however, were useless. They had no restaurant recommendations and other "sightseeing" tips. Time for more training!

Room Tip: Ask for a high room so that you can have a great view of Manila (even if it's smoggy)
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

We chose this hotel over the standard chain luxury hotels in the nearby business districts because I wanted to see local history for our first trip to Manila. We were not disappointed! This place is a gem! At 112 years old you really feel like you've stepped back in time. The hotel is apparently a favorite venue for weddings and I can see why.

It's a great value for the price and is within walking distance to the Intramuros district. They also have a free shuttle to nearby museums and shopping. The pool is newly remodeled and there are several very nice restaurants on the property. WiFi is fast and FREE. The memory foam mattress felt like ours at home. Bathrooms are large and very clean. Nice sheets, towels and robes. yes there are a few things here or there that needs a tiny bit of TLC but not surprising given the age of the hotel.

GO TO THE SPA! it's amazing. We both had a great massage and facial at 1/3 of the cost back in the US with amazing service. I'd come back to Manila just to go to this spa.

Room Tip: When you check in make sure that you're not on a smoking floor. We accidentally got booked there...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Townsville, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

We stayed here for a short time my now wife and myself.
The Hotel and it's excellent staff exceeded our expectations in every way.
The food is to die for, the rooms and excellent and house keeping is spot on with time and finish always perfect.
The hotel rates are what you would expect for a hotel of it's class, and our final bill was less than expected.
We tried to find a fault but could not.
The afternoon ensemble that plays in the main reception area is world class with it's music and selections.
Look if your in Manila and want a place that makes you feel right at home, is handy to all city areas, then look no further.
We love the place and are looking forward to staying there on our next visit to Manila
Russell O'Brien

Room Tip: look no further you have found the right place to stay
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

I love the rooms here and have nothing bad to say about the physical aspect of this place. My only complaint is the bad service. The people at the front desk are snobbish and don't seem to be too accommodating. Check out was a nightmare. One person was in charge for our payments (she was staying in a separate room from me) so upon checkout, I asked the front desk to carry over our payments to her room (mini bar consumption) since the rooms were already paid for. She said it couldn't be done. I insisted that it COULD be done. I know it could be done. She did so but had to ask that person to come down to the lobby to sign something. I told the girl in the front desk why she had to do that, can't she send someone up in the room? She said that that could be done as well. My issue is, why did that girl in the front desk have to give me a hard time when easier methods were actually available???

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Stayed for 2 nights with my husband and 12 yo. We had a great experience. The hotel lobby was beautifully and sumptuously decorated. The room was clean and with modern amenities. However, the twin beds were too firm and just to small to accommodate the 3 of us. I requested a roll away bed which they promptly put in but I did have to pay for it. The buffet breakfast is by far the best we've seen and we've stayed at a few hotels and resorts, including Shangrila Boracay.
I also like it being so close to Luneta and Intramuros. For sure we'll stay there again when we return back to Manila.

Room Tip: Double beds are twin beds so tight if you have kids.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Houston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

This is the second time that I have stayed at this hotel and what a disappointment it was during this time. First, the good things about this hotel. It has a good location. The MacArthur Lounge at Christmas time is second to none in beauty with two large heavily ornamented Christmas trees at the end separated by a sleigh. This is a great place for pictures or for sitting in the lounge chairs for a drink or for people watching while listening to soft piano music in the background. But this is where the good rating stops. The hotel is undergoing renovation of the original building as others have said. My first room looked out onto scaffolding and the relatively noisy street in front of the hotel. I asked to be changed and they moved me to another room in the same building which had window frames which were warped and rusting as was the eves above the window. Scaffolding was still outside in the hallway, and the sounds of construction could be heard throughout the day. When I went to get a bath, the water never became warm, or if I took a shower it went from being luke warm to cold. The stopper in the bathtub could not be adjusted so that the water would run out requiring me to disengage it with a scissors. The water would constantly bubble out of the stem that controlled the shower. A call to the operator temporarily fixed the hot water problem although it still took an inordinate amount of time to become hot. Two calls to speak with the manager went unheeded. I also dislike having to call room service to have ice delivered to my room instead of having an ice machine on the floor. It is inefficient and the days for such service have long passed. Finally, on the last day, I spoke directly with the assistant manager in the lounge who was unhelpful and, in my opinion, unapologetic and not willing to make any amends. I understand that guests staying in in the Tower did not have the same problem that others experienced in the original building.

I understand the need for renovations, but the hotel should shut down those areas that are being affected and not make the guests suffer. Others planning to stay at the Manila hotel during this time period should get assurances from the hotel that they will not be subjected to substandard services or else look elsewhere for their accommodations.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

5 star accommodations and prices with management and services unable to deliver. We stayed New Year ’s Eve for their heavily marketed event. Despite having booked and paid a month in advance, check in took 45 minutes with only 2 people ahead of us. Check out was not much better at 40 minutes. We were informed that due to volumes, we would be staying in the “original” building. Although picturesque and dating back to MacAurthur days, the room was musky and without hot water. After letting the water run for 15 minutes, we called the evening of our stay for assistance. The response was for us to “let the water run for another 15 minutes”. Really? We informed them this did not work. In the morning after 15 minutes, the water was still cold. We were given the same advice as the night before and offered many verbal apologies. Another cold shower. The breakfast buffet we paid for as part of the accommodation package was available until 10:30 AM. The line to get in to the restaurant at 9:30 was more than an hour.

Service was severely slow and not up to the standards under which the hotel classes and prices itself. The manager offered an immediate seat in the restaurant for breakfast as consolation. While standing in line for check out I overheard others irate over missing flights and missing breakfast.

I would recommend the Sofitel hotel nearby for a better 5 star value and experience. The Bay View Hotel appears also to be worth exploration for accommodations and is across from the American Embassy not 1 km from the Manila Hotel. I would not recommend this hotel for accommodations but would return for the restaurant alone (with reservations).

Room Tip: Try the Sofitel hotel or the Bay View hotels - these are others we noticed upon departure of our sta...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Manila Hotel? Share your experiences!