“perfect” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila

You added Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila to your Saves list
Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   CCP Complex, Roxas Boulevard, Manila, Luzon 1300, Philippines   |
Ranked #3 of 104 Hotels in Manila
London, United Kingdom
“perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

Stayed here for over night before going to boracay,,, its a perfect hotel.. but one thing that really got me was the breakfast!... INCREDIBLE!... as in,, I think its the largest breakfast buffet I have ever seen!..

every was great!

Thanks a lot

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Adelaide
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2009

Had a one night stopover in Manila at the Sofitel and was very impressed by the hotel. Very nice rooms, lovely lobby and bar area and a great pool. The location is very pretty too on the bay, however there is not much in walking distance around it (only the convention centre, the coconut palace and a film academy - certainly no shopping malls. The buffet served in the restaurant looked amazing and sadly we had already eaten so couldn't experience it for ourselves.

We did a half day tour of Manila which was organised for us by Concorde Travel which is situated in the hotel. We would highly recommend this tour.

The airport transfer was very efficient and good value for money compared to the price that some other hotels were charging.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2009

I stayed there for 5 days during a big conference. The conference was taking place at the Philippines International Conference Centre (PICC) which is on the opposite site of the road and thus very convenient.

The check-in was efficient, the staff very attentive and the room very good. I had a nice view over the ocean. The desk with all the plugs (power and internet) on it, is very helpful.

The breakfast was excellent, with a very good variety and quality. Although the hotel was full everything was running very smooth there and this is something I really appreciated. No delays, check-out process very efficient etc.

The problem of the hotel is its location. If you are attending a conference at the PICC then it is the best option but if you are there on holidays then you depend on taxi for everything.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
NRR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2009

I just finished my stay and read the reviews, I'm so surprised by the negative comments. I stayed here for a conference and had an excellent stay. I checked in around midnight, it was friendly and though a little slow, nothing unreasonable, it was more that the attendant wanted to make sure I had "everything necessary". The breakfast buffet is one of the best I've had, not only they had a variety of foods, but it was all tasty (I'm comparing to recent stays at the Westing Beijing, Marriott Bangkok, Marriott Shanghai). Everyone was very friendly and helpful. I went to the business center to make a photocopy & send fax, I was not charged, it was courtesy. The pool is beautiful, the grass area to lounge very relaxing. I actually dozed off in a hamac in between meetings one afternoon. My only complaitn is that the room is spartan. Perfectly clean and nice sized, but there is minimal decoration, the furniture seemed "old" and there was only a shower, whereas I like baths. I was able to check out the night before my departure and one of the best features, I was able to adjust the thermostat to a confortable temp. In other hotels, I'm either freezing or too hot. This thermostat seemed responsive and with a good range of settings.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Manila
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2009

Before it became Sofitel it was Westin Philippine Plaza and this was how long we have been checking-in this hotel. Back then service was rather good, what was expected of a 5 star hotel but even back then, whenever there comes a blackout, there was no generators to use for these purposes and you're left in the dark confined corners of your room without airconditioner (and if you're in the elevator by the time of the blackout, no chance of help would come and you just have to wait there till the lights come on) Upon arriving we were welcomed by crowds of people waiting to get a room at the lobby and there are those who don't mind waiting but several who are about to totally lose it for waiting, i hear them saying, "isn't this supposed to be a 5 star hotel?" I can only pity the staff who had to face this irrate customers. There's like this long line for the reception and only 2 ppl were manning it, back then, there were so many hotel staff and a floor manager too. the ratio was 2 against 50 people!
From what I noticed, the hotel was under staffed in fact, while waiting for our luggage to arrive which took 15 minutes and my dad fuming mad at the concierge, we found out from the bellboy that their were only 2 bellboys to take the bags to all those rooms and to all those people.
So i can't really blame the staff who i believe were trying to make ends meet, I think its the manager or even the owner of the hotel who needs to be called out for the bad service his hotel has.

• Stayed September 2009
sydney australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2009

we arrived august 29, the check in person who was a manager of sorts who spoke very fast in english , she was ok accept no warmth or the hint of a welcoming smile as is usual with filipinas, on inspecting our room with a king size bed and a very new bathroom which is world class, we noticed the bar fridge was not cold we reported this and eventually a man with screwdrivers and tools turned up and he said the fridge is not cold if it is still not cold we will replace it we rang again the next day and a man with the same tools turned up and said its not cold and if it does not get cold it will be replaced yeah!! i know it was not cold my wife knows its not cold and working!! did it get fixed ? no!! and there were missing items from its contents we were lucky we were not charged for them as my wife complained!! we went for breakfast and the supposed fantastic breakfast was frankly disappointing just average and very poor service!!, so as it was my first try at an accor hotel we will not be renewing our membership its a shame our stay could have been great but alas poor service was all we got kevin book sydney australia

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Tokyo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2009

I had read negative reviews about this hotel prior to booking for a stay there but had hoped that our experience would be different. Unfortunately, we did not find our stay very pleasant. A lot of it had to do with the very poor service at the hotel.
Upon checking in, we specifically asked for a room with a king-sized bed since we were a couple with a young child. (We planned on asking for an extra bed for our child.) When we got to our room, it was one with 2 single beds. We immediately called the front desk to ask to be moved to another room. We requested to be moved as soon as possible since we wanted to go for an afternoon swim already. We had to make at least 7 calls and wait for more than 2 1/2 hours before we were allowed to move. In other words, we weren't able to swim that afternoon.
We ate at Spiral for lunch and were surprised at how badly trained their servers were. The waiter gave us 1 menu for 3 people. We had no napkins at our table. When our bread and butter came, we were not given bread plates or butter knives. We assumed they were coming but they didn't arrive. We had to ask for them. It was very difficult to get the attention of the waiters. This happened while the restaurant was not even half-full. When we passed by Galette, the pastry shop, there were so many people with not a single person attending to them. We actually heard some people commenting, "Aren't there any people here?" When we wanted to order room service, we realized we didn't have a menu in our room. We called to ask for one and had to wait about 45 minutes to get it. When our food came, the waiter just brought the table into the room without setting it up. We had to figure out on our own how to lift the sides of the table to make it bigger. These may be small things but these are not things you're supposed to see in a 5-star hotel that charges a lot. These are things you are not supposed to see in 5-star hotels where employees are supposed to be well-trained.
What was also surprising was when we would make calls within the hotel, it seemed very difficult to do. The operator would take messages for the front desk people since they could not be reached and the messages were never relayed. A number of times we tried to call the operator and the line would just be ringing. Nobody would be answering. That is not supposed to happen in a 5-star hotel.
I also noticed that housekeeping didn't replenish the toiletries in the bathroom. Usually, 5-star hotels place new bottles of shampoo or bars of soap if they see that the guests have opened the ones previously placed there. In this hotel, they just made us use what was left from the day before and didn't give us new supply.
I also read about people's feet getting blue because of the paint in the swimming pool. That happened to us too. We also swam early in the morning and saw that the water was already very dirty. You would at least expect the water to be somewhat clean first thing in the morning. Luckily for the hotel, the blue paint of the pool makes the dirt less obvious.
The renovation done on the hotel has made it look newer and nicer. The food was also quite good. You can see that the hotel has a lot of potential. Unfortunately, the service at this hotel is terrible. You can stay at some other 5-star hotel that does not charge as much and get much better service.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila? Share your experiences!