“Amazing interior, great service recovery.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila

You added Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila to your Saves list
Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   CCP Complex, Roxas Boulevard, Manila, Luzon 1300, Philippines   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay Longer, Get 30% Off!
Ranked #4 of 106 Hotels in Manila
Washington, UK
“Amazing interior, great service recovery.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I stayed five nights in early August; we checked in quite late to find some wine and fruit in the room as a welcome gift for my Accor Platinum status. Lovely orchid flowers, the room was a bit minimalist to be considered a luxury room in my opinion.

Actually I booked an additional room for some friends and noticed that the standard room is identical to the luxury room, minus the orchids - not really sure it is worth the additional money for a luxury room.

Really enjoyed the pool, refreshing towels were provided, some small drinks and fruit which was a really nice touch. The pool was great until Saturday when lots of Filipinos descended I'm presuming with extended families to use the facilities.

I was amazed with the vast number of staff members, the interior of the building and flower arrangements is amazing, If I had more time I would have liked to relax in Le Bar or the Sports bar - but is was so much nicer outside by the pool.

Had one problem that the toilet became blocked and wasn't flushing well, so I called to ask them to take care of it when we were leaving for the day. Unfortunately when I came back and used the toilet it started to overflow and water leaked from the back all over the bathroom floor. I presume nobody came to fix it, if they did they left it in a worse state than it was.

I called for a manager, but nobody was readily available. Which I felt was unacceptable; the receptionist insisted to move us rooms, of which I was annoyed due to wanting to relax and swim not pack everything up. Eventually spoke to a manager, she was extremely apologetic and offered an upgrade to a club room with lounge access.

This was an example of brilliant service recovery, I can honestly give this hotel 5 stars because although problems can occur anywhere it is how they are dealt with. The club room was slightly larger, had different toiletries in the bathroom (although I preferred the L'Occitane ones in the luxury room) but the free wifi was really appreciated.

Also the lounge, this is great - I would return and book this next time. Lovely breakfast, pleasant service - freshly squeezed orange juice etc. On one evening we managed to avail the snacks and cocktails which were provided. We didn't really use it that much, think if I had paid for the privilege I would have tried to use it more often; lovely atmosphere and great staff.

Our luggage was kindly stored for 4 nights as we made a side trip to the wonderful Island of Boracay. The only negative issue with the hotel is the list of regulations you get briefly given at check in, asking you not to bring in drinks and food from outside and you must sign this. Now, I fully understand they wouldn't be wanting deliveries - but I think it is a bit mean to stop people bringing in their favourite snacks back to their rooms. This policy should be reconsidered, and it only made me more determined to eat out.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Sofitel-Philippines, Manager at Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila, responded to this review, August 23, 2013

Bonjour Mabuhay!

We thank you very much for taking the time to share this very detailed and constructive feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

It is such a pleasure to know that you had a Magnifique experience with us, and particularly enjoyed the welcome amenities and the recreational facilities of our hotel. Thank you for pointing out the intricate interior decors of the hotel, and the gorgeous flower arrangements that we freshly prepare daily. Referring back to your comments, we regret to know that you encountered some inconveniences with regards to the toilet. We again apologize for the inconvenience caused. It is a delight to know that you enjoyed the perks at Club Millesime. Our exclusive club offers many services for you to enjoy, like in-room check-in, afternoon snacks, cocktails and a lot more. Should you wish to avail of this package, feel free to contact me and I will gladly assist you with your future bookings.

We look forward to being of service to you again in the near future.

Director of Quality

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (514)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Tokyo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

very attentive staffs with smiley face all the time.
great view from the bedroom.
wide variety of food in the club lounge.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sofitel-Philippines, Manager at Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila, responded to this review, August 22, 2013

Bonjour Mabuhay!

We appreciate that you took the time to share your feedback with us.

It is a pleasure to know that you had an excellent overall experience with us and that our Ambassadors took part in making your stay a pleasant one. We are glad that you enjoyed the services and the perks that you had at Club Millesime. Rest assured that your kind words will be shared with the rest of the team to encourage them to continue on providing excellent quality service to our guests.

We look forward to being of service to you again in the near future.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed here three times in the past five years and it never fails to be a grand time for the family. I suppose the French élan mixes well with Filipino hospitality. From the traditionally dressed ushers to one of the best value buffet in the world, Sofitel fits the requirements of tourists with young families as well since the play area and the resort like maze of pools is sure to please. The hotel even hosted a grand egg hunt during Easter, complete with hosts and games.

The filipino staff is the epitome of top notch service. The cuisine is above the grade for standard 5 star hotel fare.

The rooms are well appointed and retain their former American owners' design sensibility, that is the walls can use a bit more art for that cozy feeling.

We will definitely be back.

• Stayed June 2013

Bonjour Mabuhay!

It is very fulfilling to receive such a wonderful and informative feedback from one of our beloved guests. I am sure that other travelers would find your review very useful so we thank you for taking the time to share this with us.

We thank you for your continued patronage and we are very pleased to hear that we always exceeded your expectations because your satisfaction is our utmost reward. Thank you for your kind words regarding the hotel and its services and facilities. I have shared your comments with the rest of the team to motivate them to continue on providing the excellent service that our guests look forward to experiencing at our hotel.

Sofitel and its Ambassadors would love to have the pleasure of being of service to you again in the near future.

Koloa, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I had two nights at the Sofitel for a work-related trip. I never even had a chance to go in the pool but it looked awesome. The breakfast buffet was the best buffet I have ever eaten ANYWHERE. Holy crap that was a ton of great food. My wife and I were wide awake at 0630 so went to eat early, yet we never needed to eat again until dinner time. There was that much delicious food.
The front desk service was outstanding, as was the bell staff. I have nothing else to compare it to in the Philippines, but I can't imagine many nicer places than this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Bonjour Mabuhay!

Thank you for taking the time to share your excellent experience with us.

We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel, particularly your dining experience at Spiral. We are very glad that you enjoyed the vast selections of food; our chefs would definitely be very pleased to receive your wonderful feedback.

We look forward to welcome you back as we have a lot more services and facilities that we would like for you to experience and enjoy.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I stayed at the hotel with my partner on holiday in late July/early August and had a wonderful time. We hardly wanted to leave the hotel to see the rest of Manial! As you would expect with a five star hotel, the service was impeccable, friendly, personalised and efficient, the bed king size and very comfortable, and the suite huge and modern. The privacy of the separate living and bedroom areas, with televisions and DVDs in each room, meant we could do our usual thing of sleeping or watching television at different times. I also liked the completely block-out curtains for sleeping. We were lucky enough to have a suite that looked out on Manila Bay, which was a superb view. (Suggest you ask for one of these.) The sunsets from the balcony were magnificent. The pool was large and had shallower areas for children and adults who were less confident in the water, but there was still plenty of deeper areas of the pool for us to swim. Staff brought free nibbles around the pool area, which was a nice touch. We also made use of the Club Milliesime, which meant that we were able to have private check in and check out, as well as breakfast and cocktails in a club-like atmosphere. We met some really interesting other guests there. If you have not yet availed yourself of the Club facilities at the Sofitel, I highly recommend this one. I have been to a couple of other Club facilities at other hotels, but found this one to be superb. The Spiral restaurant, which serves authentic food from every part of the world, was spectacular. If you are there on a weekend, try to get to the Sunday brunch, which seems to be a local Manila favourite, and starts at noon. It serves as much food and wine (including Moet champagne) for as much as you can eat or drink. The array to choose from, including for me the sweets and desserts, were fantastic.

Room Tip: Try to get a suite which faces onto Manila Bay. Watching the sunsets and the shipping is amazing.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Bonjour Mabuhay!

What a great pleasure to receive such a wonderful and detailed feedback. We appreciate that you took the time to share this with us and the TripAdvisor community.

We are very much delighted to hear that you really enjoyed your experience at our hotel, particularly the impeccable service provided by our Ambassadors and also the guestrooms and its amenities. Club Millesime offers in-room check in, breakfast, afternoon tea and snacks, cocktails and a lot more; we are glad that you were able to enjoy this experience. Spiral offers a variety of dishes from different parts of the world and is freshly prepared daily for our guests to enjoy. We recommend that reservations be done prior to arrival to avoid the hassle of long lines as it is quite busy during Sunday brunch.

We look forward to welcome you back as we would love to have the pleasure of having you as one of our regular guests.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Everything you expect from a Sofitel - well trained and efficient staff, good sized and very comfortable rooms with in room cable internet connection that worked well (you have to pay for connection for either 3 or 24 hours), well fitted out bathrooms with good quality soap/shampoo and a very comfortable nights sleep.
Unfortunately I didn't get to try the outdoor pool which snakes its way in a loop and also has slides, nor some of the numerous other bars and restaurants within the hotel, but the buffet at the Spirals restaurant is truly memorable - both at breakfast and lunch time where the choice is huge and the quality of food excellent - foods from almost every part of the world are on offer and when a buffet divides foods from North and South India, you know it's going to be a great experience. Location wise the hotel is right on the waterfront and whilst you can walk along the sea wall in the evenings, you can't walk too far before reaching the edges of the property which are guarded by security.
I stayed here just two nights on a business trip, but would have happily stayed longer and if I return to Manila for a holiday I would certainly give serious thought to staying here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Bonjour Mabuhay!

Thank you very much for taking the time to share such a wonderful and detailed feedback with us and with the TripAdvisor travellers.

It is very pleasing to know that you had an excellent overall experience at our hotel and particularly enjoyed comfortable rooms and the vast choices of food at Spiral. Spiral is an interactive dining restaurant which has 21 dining ateliers wherein every single dish is prepared right in front of each guest.

We are humbled by your compliments. Rest assured that these will be shared with all of our Ambassadors as I am certain that this will motivate them to continue on striving harder for excellence.

We look forward to welcome you back as we would love to have you experience the other facilities and services of our hotel.

Director of Quality
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manila
Malate
Manila Hotel
Manila Hotel
#3 of 106 in Manila
4.0 of 5 stars 773 reviews

Been to Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila? Share your experiences!