“Brand new hotel with some small teething troubles, in heart of red light area” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tune Hotel - Ermita

You added Tune Hotel - Ermita to your Saves list
Tune Hotel - Ermita
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1740 A Mabini Street | Malate, Manila, Luzon, Philippines   |
Ranked #17 of 103 Hotels in Manila
brussels
“Brand new hotel with some small teething troubles, in heart of red light area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

The Philippine Tune hotels seem to be located in red light areas, I am sure that is no coincidence. With the map, I found the hotel easily, but some local shopkeepers 100m away did not know of its existence. It is very walkable from Quirino LRT station, 15 minutes away, that is what I did. You are surprised when you first see it's it is huge, I have seen a large Tune hotel. The entrance is a long corridor passing a 7/11 full of useful items. Eventually you enter the guarded lobby, it is white but very very spartan, no paintings, this will become dirty quickly, I thought. My first impressions were average, not like the wonderful lobby in new Tune Hotel at Hat Yai with the enthusiastic receptionists. The Filipino receptionist scrutinised my passport and reservation far too long, she was overly suspicious and did not smile, I was a presentable foreigner, I hasten to add. I did not really blame her, working in a budget hotel in the red light area of one of the most dangerous cities in Asia warrants it. So she gave me a room on the top floor, when this happens, I usually think of 2 things, penthouse and towering inferno. I think that it was the 20th floor. I checked the fire escape on the floor, the doors were working and it seemed OK. The room was typical Tune, very white and clean, but there was no fan installed yet, so the air conditioning was free, maybe they would have accepted the cash if offered at reception, I am sure. Normally this is an extra. The water pressure was a little low, but I was surprised that it was pressurised and hot. The views were good near the lift of the big bad city. In the surrounding areas there are a few shops, a large Robinson's mall nearby, many clubs. I stayed in my room in the evening. A few small improvements can be made, I feel it was opened a few weeks ahead of the correct date. but staying in a new spick and span new hotel is one of life's pleasures particularly at 100 pesos a night opening offer.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Malaybalay City, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

It's affordable and very clean. Wifi signal is very excellent. Hopefully it would maintain the impression we had on our first stay. Don't forget to bring a map though, cabs are not yet too familiar with the hotel. Malls and restaurants are just around the place. I'm definitely going back :)

Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
manila
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

Filipino receptionists are truly one of the best for their hospitality and warmness. Enjoyed my stay, its relatively near all establishments in Malate ---walking distance to the mall and gimik areas. A highly recommended place to stay. Affordable place to stay.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Bacolod, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

I think 11am is too early to check out. Maybe 12pm is better. I have never payed for having my luggage in the hotel after i have checked out. That must be a part of the service. The staff is friendly and the hotel will be ok when its finished. If i am back in Manila i hope you have vacant room. Overall great experience.

Room Tip: Nice location near churches and mall.