“Same staff been there for years and always look out for you” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Slouch Hat Inn and Pub

Slouch Hat Inn and Pub
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Manila
Slouch Hat Inn and Pub
1112 - 1116 M.h. del Pilar St. | Ermita, Manila, Luzon 1000, Philippines   |
Ranked #10 of 60 Manila B&B and Inns
Broome, Australia
“Same staff been there for years and always look out for you”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

I have stayed at slouch Hat 4 times in the last 3 years. Staff know you by name . Non intrusive environment. You have to walk through the restaurant and bar to get to your room which is great because you are welcomed every time .Nice, Always someone to chat to. Cheap place to eat. Not very busy at night after 8pm in the busy night life of Manila so it is a good safe place to come back to. Ask for a room away from the street,

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

23 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
bangkok
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

I checked inn because all of my favourite hotels and inn`s was fully booked,the staff was very friendly maybe a little too friendly.I was shown 2 different room,one With no window as i can remeber and one with window straigth into the noisy Del pilar street,with a first hand view off glue sniffing kids fighting another nearby gang of glue sniffing kids,a turf war,where stones where hurdled and slingshots in juse.I did not need the tv(1950`) that night.I also had some fun watching a eldery freshman beg on his knees to a bakla(transvetite) thinking this was the dream girl of his life,to the amuzment of doormen/bypassers and streetkids.probably a serious caise of beer Googles.
Anyway the room with no windows,nope,as there is blackouts all the time in this area its a bad and traumatic experience.
And the room i got was old but the strangest thing was the ceiling,I had to crunch into the room,this room was defintly not made for people 180cm+ more likely should it been a part of the hobbit house Group further up the street.never seen anything like it.I think must have been some weird desicion by some owner too squese in one extra room,in the height.walking around,it felt like the floor will give away anytime.
The room ok if your are lying in your beed,everything seemed very thiny here,going to toilet was like being part of a acrobatic troup.This is a Aussie Place like most of the BB in this area and phillipines generaly.
They normaly have good live bands a few times a week,ok meny,but so overprized.
And after my GF arrived i stopped getting service from the most friendly staff in the world,they turned almost hostile.This is a place to check in if everything else is fully booked,and your a hobbit.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I have stayed there several times. Very nice bar area with an Aussie flavour. Rooms are ok if u don't get the budget rooms at 800 pesos. The location is very handy to other Aussie bars in the area, Southern Cross, Duck Inn, Swagman as well as other bars and night spots A short walk to Robinson Mall, also close to the park if you like to take a walk. Food is quite reasonable and staff are friendly and helpful. I have never had anything taken from my room, the rooms have a safe and I use that, I'm not dumb enough to leave things laying around. If you bring back a girl chances are you will wake up minus a few peso but the staff wont let them go without first checking with you which is very helpful.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stayed there 2 years ago and they stole our belongings - would never stay there again or recommend this place to anyone. The owner even accused us lying. If you do stay there which I wouldnt recommend dont let your bags out of your sight.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Guam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I have stayed here twice, with the most recent visit in February 2013. I like the ambience, it's an Aussie place and these kinds of places are always very friendly and jovial. It is in a good location, across the street from the Southern Cross, and a block or so away from Padre Faura and within a short walk to Robinson's Mall. I decided to overnight here on the fly, so I walked in and inquired about the rooms. The very nice bar manager/manager lady (I think she is married to the Aussie owner?) allowed me to look at some rooms before I paid, and I selected the room that had the P1400 rate (I believe that was the rate) because the room was appealing. They have very inexpensive fan rooms (with no windows) which are very small for only P800 a night; I got one of these a few years back. Anyway, the room I selected was clean and had good television and a soft bed (not always the case in budget motels in Manila). Aircon worked fine, bathroom was kind of on the older side but clean. Tall folks might have had an issue with the room, I think the ceiling was about 6 feet high by the door. Not much of a view outside the window, but I always kept the curtain closed. I have never had a good window view in any Manila budget inn, it is not in their nature I have concluded. See definition of budget.

The bar area really is complementary to the establishment. Friendly staff, and a large assortment of Australian license plates on the bar wall. Good menu selection also. A fun place to grab a bite to eat and have a few beers before going out for exploration.

My philosophy is never to leave anything of value in a lodging room that you can not live without if it is stolen. I have read the postings for this place from folks who apparently had items/cash taken from their room. But I also understand that you cannot carry around on the street everything of value that you bring to Manila. I guess if you left stuff in your room, and never had any visitors in your room, and had missing items, then something is definitely going on. Anyway, sounds like this may be an issue for the place but in all fairness nothing happened to me so I shouldn't comment further on the matter.

Overall, I had good experiences with this establishment, the staff was very friendly, the filipina manager with the bit of an Aussie accent was very helpful and pleasant, and the staff appear to go out of their way to assist you and make your stay enjoyable. Like I said, nice ambience, decent and clean room, great little bar and restaurant...what more could you ask for in a budget inn? I recommend this place.

Room Tip: Ask to look at rooms before you select one.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

People were very nice, the price was just right, and I felt like it was a good value. I was happy to have working wifi! Didn't spend any time at the bar, but people seem to like it! Location is very central and near a lot of cool things to see.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I have stayed in the slouch hat several times,last time was only a few months ago and with me were my wife and daughter,we ate well,slept well and thoroughly enjoyed our stay,the food was good,staff were friendly,the hotel is close to every thing and well priced,and every time that I visit the philippines I lok forward to my stay in the pub,especially because it is so close to every thing from the bay to the airport..

Room Tip: we chose the budget rooms and were very comfortable we enjoyed...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Slouch Hat Inn and Pub? Share your experiences!