“Very nice inside, a bit of a zoo outside” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Manila Grand Opera Hotel

You added Manila Grand Opera Hotel to your Saves list
Manila Grand Opera Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   #925 Rizal Avenue corner Doroteo Jose Sts. | Sta. Cruz, Manila, Luzon 1003, Philippines   |
Ranked #37 of 104 Hotels in Manila
Montreal, Canada
“Very nice inside, a bit of a zoo outside”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

There is a nice area of Manila and a less-nice area--this hotel is definitely in the less-nice area but once you get inside the hotel is done up well. It seems they do strive to give good service, however they did not let me check in early when I showed up early--they didn't even check to see if a room was available and I found that a bit odd for a hotel that wants to put service first.
The room was very clean, nice selection of TV and a good place to relax after sightseeing for a day. You can walk to Intramuros from the hotel, even though the concierge made it sound like a long trip. I took the metro to Intramuros, and when I saw how close it was I decided to return on foot it took maybe 15 or 20 minutes; it would have taken me longer on the metro.

I would stay here again for sure.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

Ill admit, like others who questioned the area, my arrival and advice from a seemingly nice cab driver gave me a lousy first impression of the neighborhood. After my second day of exploring the area I have completely changed my mind. At the corner of the hotel property is Rizal street which is intimidating, but an incredible experience. Block after block of street stalls and food, selling everything from electronics including cell phones, ipads, high end dj equipment, and just about ahything else you need, to shoes and clothing, to sex toys to, oddly enough, wheels (which must be in high demand because there's a few, you can find just about anything. A few blocks away I believe it is a train stop and there are dozens of pedicabs waiting that will take you anywhere. I tried, and luckily DIDNT find Chinatown, yet, and wandered down Recto ave west around 5 blocks, just over a crossway that goes over the street intersection which you cant miss and found an INCREDIBLE market. Crammed packed with stalls and tons of people, it has everything imaginable. It is VERY crowded, but at least a few blocks long taking over both sides of the street (no through traffic). It is worth the walk, I live in New York and it puts Canal street (known for cheap fake items) to shame. GIVE IT A CHANCE!

I cant say enough about the staff. I am a 24 year old male solo traveler on my first independent trip and in my first stop of a 10 week trip through southeast Asia. I planned on buying a cell phone and local Sim card instead of paying for an international plan and was in way over my head. My first day I cautiously walked around looking for help and found almost none. When I went back and talked to the concierge, the gentleman (who I wish I had his name because he deserves a mention) and a few others told me where to go, what phone to buy, and how much I should pay for it. After I did that I brought it back and showed them and they proceeded to set me up with a sim card and a local and international calling card (sold at the hotel). To top it off, he took the phone, installed the Sim card, and called the calling card numbers to set up my phone and handed me back a working cell phone. First class service.

Room is just what I need, very clean, comfortable bed, complimentary water and coffee, free wifi, plenty of Tv channels, my own air conditioner. Only negatives, view isn't great, not much to see, small window, and shower isn't completely inclosed. Nothing that's a deal breaker.

Pool is beautiful, locker rooms with sauna.

7-11 across the street.

Negatives, although they truly add to the culture. Not a place you want to show off money. I didn't have an bad experiences or anything, but I was also cautious not to flaunt money. Disappointingly I did not feel safe enough to openly take pictures at will. Not a tourist area, felt like the only foreigner. Prostitution is an active and rather large part of the culture by evidence of all of the cheap "short time" hotels. Was propositioned to walking on the streets during day hours.

The more I walked around the more comfortable I feel. Its too unique of a place not to give it a try. Also noted, it was a short stay on a long trip so I didn't mind missing it, didn't stray too far from the hotel at night, but again, I'm alone. Quick tip, pedicab drivers took me anywhere, but ran into 2 different cabs going back to the hotel who didn't know the hotel and location by name. Possibly just bad luck. I grabbed a business card from the front desk with the address, problem solved.

This place is wonderful inside, and outside overflowing with culture. "

• Stayed June 2012
Manila, Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

I stayed here a few years ago (around 2008) for 5 days. It was relatively new at the time, looks promising but definitely cannot be compared to a 5-star hotel. The basic room was P1500 (US$40) per night which has a king sized bed, CR, TV, small ref, window type aircon and a small window overviewing the parking lot (which I think is now a swimming pool). They have recently built a swimming pool which can be used by guests. US$40 is really cheap for this kind of hotel, I would definitely stay here again.

The hotel is promising. However, the location is just wrong. Built within the slum area (not to mention snatchers, robbers and drug addicts), no matter how much the hotel improves it's facilities and services, there will always be guests who will be freaked out once they stepped outside the hotel at night.

I rate this hotel 4-star because of the clean room and excellent service. Not to mention the affordable price (US$40/night) which includes breakfast for 2.
If it weren't for it's location, I'd like to believe the rooms here will be priced at US$60/night the least.

PS: there's parking lot at the back(pass through Rizal Ave.). There's a swimming pool too. No gym or sauna though :-)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

When you enter the hotel it looks really nice...But then when you saw the room that starts the PROBLEM....
Room: is so small even you pay their most expensive room still small compare to the price they ask..
very noisy..you have hear the people in the other room...you can hear the chair all night long,once you close your t.v. you will hear the t.v. in the other room...all rooms suppose to be sound proof..
the bed is dirty and very itchy...when i go to the bathroom while i was washing my face i saw a COCKROACH...(my God how can a hotel have a insect like that..) the shampoo,lotion and bath gel is been used by the previous guest and didn't change it..
BREAKFAST: is worst...pride rice is so sweet,EGG is floating in water..the worst about it is the corned beef when i try to get some of it i saw a small curly dark hair..so gross that i keep thinking where it came from..under arm???IWWWWWW....its really sucks...
the only thing i like in that hotel is the pool...that's all..

Almost forgot..this is the only hotel i know that charge you for a bucket of ice...
plus they ask for a 1000pesos deposit even if you already paid the room..

Probably will never want to come back...

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

Manila Grand Opera Hotel is superb inside! I say "inside" because once inside the hotel, you are like transformed from the stressful road activities outside the hotel to the neatness of the inside of the hotel. Amenities associated with 5-star hotels (casino, pool, restaurants, coffee shops, conference rooms) are available. The downside is its location: it is located along the blights of the city of Manila; not really attractive for someone who wants to enjoy the scenery of what's immediately outside the hotel. But if location becomes secondary since what you want is simply to relax and enjoy the amenities inside the hotel, then this is a place to consider. The hotel is located just a walking distance from the LRT station, which may be a faster way of moving around the metro.

On the 7th floor, 12-hour and 24-hour accommodation can be availed. It is a decent and reasonable alternative to motels for people who just want to relax overnight after a stressful week.

Room Tip: Ask to view the room before checking in.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
yigo, guam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

Good value. Excellent service with nice rooms. Surprised to see such a nice hotel located in downtown china town area. Area didn't bother me, I rather enjoyed it. I am adventurous and enjoying exploring new areas. Would not be for everybody just because of the area. I will stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Lipa City, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

The Maila Grand Opera Hotel is quite a good place to stay in downtown Manila. It's actually located outside the Chinatown area (which is in Binondo district of Manila). The hotel is in Recto-Rizal Avenues area of Sta. Cruz district and, yes, shares its immediate vicinity with some kind of Manila's unpleasantries.

The hotel's ambiance is quite good, though, from the lobby to the room we stayed in. By the time me and my wife arrived, the lobby air is filled with piano music which is a good welcoming delight. On checking in I was surprised that we needed to pay an extra Php1000 as a "deposit-to-be-returned-on-the-check-out" aside from the actual payment they asked to be paid right there before our check-in, we agreed though.

The room we stayed in is good enough; spacious enough for two and clean, has a fridge and a cable tv and a good aircondition unit with remote control. A complimentary coffee and tea sachets is ready on the room's table, we just needed to request for hot water. The bathroom is spacious enough and clean. The hot shower seems not working, it's not hot enough to warm your body.

When we went down late night to go night swimming, a live acoustic band is playing at the lobby. The pool is open for guests 24 hours with a steam bath at the men's shower room.

We had a good night sleep after all.

The next morning, we availed the complimentary buffet breakfast and it's very good. My wife especially liked the toasted loaf with butter and jam.

Just a piece of History: The lot where this hotel is standing is where the Manila Grand Opera House was, hence the hotel's name. It is one of the famous theatres in the mid-20th century Manila where famous Filipino artists perform. (You can even see these artists' portraits decorating the now hotel's restaurant walls)

Room Tip: If you're planning to check in to this hotel, you better avoid going outside the hotel at night...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Manila Grand Opera Hotel? Share your experiences!