“Booked for 2 days; Ended up staying for 2 weeks” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Manila Grand Opera Hotel

You added Manila Grand Opera Hotel to your Saves list
Manila Grand Opera Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   #925 Rizal Avenue corner Doroteo Jose Sts. | Sta. Cruz, Manila, Luzon 1003, Philippines   |
Ranked #42 of 105 Hotels in Manila
Canada
“Booked for 2 days; Ended up staying for 2 weeks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

Quick background about our travel resume: my husband and I are fond of travelling. We travel once or twice a year. We have done All Inclusives, Cruises, Air and Hotel Packages.

When it comes to hotel rooms, we have 3 criteria: (1) our own bathroom with good running water with a clear separation between the shower and the toilet (2) if it is a humid country like Manila, a working air-conditioned is a must (3) lastly, a comfortable bed. The rest are extras and when I say, extra -- having a WIFI in my room is a big deciding factor. I never leave home without my laptop. This hotel has a free WIFI in the room.

The price of this hotel is quite reasonable for the amenities and services it offers and it aims to provide excellent value for your money and even beyond.

This hotel has a reasonable sized outdoor swimming pool and outdoor Jacuzzi with powerful jets, a nice Sauna and change room at par to most prime hotels in Manila. The pool is surrounded by lounge chairs and tables. The hotel also has a service bus to the Mall of Asia and SM San Lazaro (big malls). It has a direct access to the LRT (Doroteo Jose) which, I thought, is a big plus and surely made everything convenient for us. It has a Business Centre and the lobby is certainly grand for its location.

My husband and I stayed in the Majestic Room. Coffee Maker is provided plus a small freezer. Two bottles of water are also provided everyday. Bed is comfortable and the bathroom is functional and clean.

Buffet Breakfast is included in the room rate and my husband who is quite selective in his food habits found the breakfast acceptable. He will always find something he likes. Buffet includes coffee, 2 types of juices, 2 types of cereal, bacon, eggs can be cooked to your preference, sausages, steamed rice or sometimes, fried rice, congee, bread to be toasted and heated to your request. Once again, it is not an array of endless table of breakfast buffet but the food is quite sufficient and will fill a stomach to start a day of travelling.

The main outlet offers a Filipino version of `Snack Hours` which they call `Merienda Buffet`. For $5.00 Canadian Dollars, you will be able to taste a good selection of Filipino delicacies. I have tried this buffet a few times during my stay and certainly something I look forward to as a snack.

As a frequent traveller, I have come to believe that we create our own experience where ever we go and I personally found the staff at the hotel very helpful. Every breakfast time, my husband and I made it a point to leave a tip (even though it is a buffet and the breakfast is included in the room rate). Showing appreciation to the staffs` effort do come a long way. After all, everyone likes to be appreciated including you and me.

Overall, Manila Grand Opera Hotel is an above average budget hotel. I would certainly stay in this hotel again and would recommend the hotel to everyone who believes in getting good value for your money.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Nanaimo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011

A two night stay was not disappointing in any way. The rooms were a bit small but nice enough. Nice, clean swimming pool. Even though it's in a busy part of town it was not noisy. The breakfast buffet was really good. Staff were very courteous and helpful. Next to an interesting street market. Short cab to Rizel Park. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: A few extra peso for a window :-)
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

We stayed in a Majestic Superior room but there wasn't room to swing a cat. There was a large curtain but when we opened it to admire the view, there was no window, just a wall! Breakfast was very limited if you were looking for western-style. Service was ok although the staff were unable to help very much with any travel queries. They couldn't change Australian dollars either. Rooms were modern but not to the standard you'd expect from other hotels like this. We had a pleasant stay without being overwhelmed.

Room Tip: Don't expect a spacious room!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2011

Three years in a row, I have stayed in this hotel in the heart of downtown Manila. Great service with very professional employees. Haven't had any issue at all and will continue to stay at this hotel everytime I visit Manila. Much more, it is affordable. Free breakfast is okay since I take light breakfast anyhow. Employees are very friendly specially at the front desks. Overall, I am very happy staying at MGO Hotel.

At one time, the A/C in my room was not working. After I reported, a replacement A/C was installed within 15 minutes.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Eastern Shore of Virginia, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

Although it bills itself as five-star, it is not anything close to this. While the prices are great for a facility with a pool (2000 peso NET/Night), expect mediocre facilities in a section of Manila that is off the beaten path and very depressed. If the real third world disturbs you (i.e. many sleeping on the streets and mounds of garbage on the side walks), this is not for you.

My reservation was for a non-smoking room, but I was given a smoking floor. The stench was overwhelming as the hotel caters to Korean and Chinese clientele. Many fellow travelers left their doors open to smoke and the rooms and hallways smelled awful. Twice I encountered hallway waste baskets smoking profusely from cigarette butts discarded on trash. Within seconds, these would have ignited had I not put out the fire. I told the staff after the first incident, but apparently nothing was done. It is a true fire hazard of the highest concern.

There is a pool and it is the lowest cost I am aware of for a facility with this in Manila. Unfortunately, the pool tile is slick and many small children and adult nearly fell walking around the pool area.

Don't get your hopes up for a buffet breakfast on par with other five star facilities in Manila. It is a scant selection of congee and eggs with a few other hot dishes. Very mediocre in every way.

I was appreciative that they staff made amends at check out by not charging me an extra half day due to the smoking room fiasco, but I doubt I would ever stay here again despite the appealing price and pool. It is far from the nightlife and the airport.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Quezon City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2010

Never heard of Manila Grand Opera Hotel until I came across its billboard in Airport Road, advertising its claim to be the only “5 star hotel in Chinatown” but with an affordable tariff. My curiosity led me to google the hotel and was glad that it had its own website so I can check its amenities and room as well. I was initially impressed with the pics of the room and rates of each type. I actually had no plans of staying in a hotel located at Manila but my fiancée insisted since she hasn’t been to downtown Manila. Made my reservation last Nov. 27, 2010 at almost 11 pm. but the receptionist didn’t mind the time of the call and accommodated my queries and eventual reservation. She even suggested Majestic room which has a view of the hotel’s swimming pool instead of my first choice -Premiere.

M.G.O.H is centrally located that we decided to take the transit system in going to Doroteo Jose as I was afraid that it might not have adequate parking but I was wrong since it has ample space in the 2nd floor and at Rizal Avenue near the pool area. The first thing that will strike you is the lobby of the hotel. It was elegant and classy yet it doesn’t intimidate you. The front office was accommodating enough to process my reservation though I arrived 2 hours late from the standard check-in time. To enter the room, you have to tap in the key, which also serves as a tool to turn-on the electricity. The room is spacious with built-in cabinet, refrigerator, flat-screen TV, dresser, thick high-grade mattress, crisp white cotton sheets, and plush-down feather pillows. The bathroom is clean and tidy with freshly cleaned towels (bath and hand). It also has a foot towel which I expect from a “5-star hotel”. Water pressure was unexpectedly strong given its location and didn’t encounter a problem with the heater. The air-conditioning is powered by a window type unit which was quiet enough not to disturb our sleep after having dinner in Rob. Ermita (that’s the advantage of the hotel since it is a ride away from Pedro Gil).

If you want to enjoy your time with your special someone then I would suggest this hotel. My only regret is I failed to bring my trunks to take advantage of the pool, which was nicely lit at night though am not sure if they would have allowed us to take a dip.

My only complaints are the color of the room was red which in my opinion is not fit for a “5-star hotel”, the plush-down feather pillows (prefer the thicker ones) and the lack of a shower curtain or sliding door to prevent water from seeping out (kinda vain about it).

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Puerto Princesa City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2010

the place was clean and new, the rate is very affordable.

the shower water pressure is high, the B&T is big enough.

the hallway is abit narrow and their decor lights for painting is hot which is making the narrow hallway hot but not a bid issue.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo