“Prepare to be frustrated and inconvenienced” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Gran Prix Hotel and Suites Manila

You added Gran Prix Hotel and Suites Manila to your Saves list
Gran Prix Hotel and Suites Manila
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Tesoro Building, 1325 Mabini Street, Ermita, Manila, Luzon 589, Philippines (Malate)   |
Ranked #67 of 104 Hotels in Manila
Manila, Philippines
“Prepare to be frustrated and inconvenienced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times over the past six months, and was always pleased with it, considering it excellent value for the money, and one of the best deals in Ermita for budget hotels. The rooms are clean and the staff are pleasant and do their best, though they have been working under difficult circumstances recently owing to the policies of the new management, which insists that guests not check in before 2:00 PM in the afteroon.

This policy is what the title of this review is referencing. On my latest visit, I flew in from Bangkok, arriving at 7 AM in the morning. I was at the hotel by 8 AM, my prebooked room was empty, and waiting for its weary and exhausted traveller (little sleep on the flight), but due to "policy," despite my repeated entreaties, I was not permitted to occupy my room, even though it was empty and ready for its next guest. As a result, I had to kill time in shabby Ermita until 2:00 PM, even though I was dog-tired at the time.

This is an insane policy. Next door at the CityState, I have arrived at all hours of the day, including the early morning, and if the room is available, I am able to occupy it. Not so at the Gran Prix. Worse, at 2:00 PM, the lobby was filled with travellers like myself who had been turned away until 2:00 PM. They were forced to wait, sitting on their luggage, while the slow and tedious check-in process was underway. Talk about frustration and inconvenience - all because of "policy." The managment is tone-deaf on this issue, and needs to take a course in customer relations. But this is the Philippines, remember, whose national travel slogan is (or should be) "It's more FRUSTRATING in the Philippines." And it surely is at the Gran Prix.

Whether or not you can put up with the other frustrations that you may well encounter staying in the Grand Prix (or booking a room online) will depend somewhat on your temperament as a traveller. The front desk attempted to charge me 500 pesos for an extra room key, which was required to access a bathroom across the hallway from my room; without it, the occupant would be required to use the restroom in the dark, if you can imagine that. Again, this was "policy," and totally idiotic and stupid. In addition, once I gained access to the bathroom, the toilet didn't work and maintenance had to be summoned to fix it.

In my previous stays at the Grand Prix, I would have praised this hotel, but looking at the many negative reviews of the hotel, I can see that my latest experience is not unique. To those considering this hotel, I would say that it is still a good choice, but time your arrival for later in the afternoon if you can, and be prepared to deal with any issues that crop up with bemused detachment. If you can do so, you will probably have a good experience in the hotel. It is definitely good value for one's money, so one can't go wrong in that regard. You may be a lucky one, and have a good experience in the Grand Prix, though you may also be an unlucky one, and have a stay that is bedevilled by frustration and inconvenience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Leeds, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

In the Ermita area which I heard afterwards was kind of a prostitute place.
I hadn't booked a hotel before I arrived in Manila so it was through a fault of my own that I ended up here. It cost PHP 800 for one night in an easy bed room. A room that is about 1.5 metres by 2.5 metres with a television and aircon. The air-con and tv were the only pleasantries. The shared shower and toilet room were clean as well. I didn't feel like it was worth the money but in comparison the hotels on the same street it is cheap. I wish I had found a different area to stay.

No window and thin walls.

Wouldn't recommend this place, it did the job for me because I was tired, alone and needed somewhere to sleep without splashing out lots of money on a hotel.

Restaurant upstairs is expensiveish depending on what time of traveler you are.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
nantes
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

I've been there once, the room is small with a bed for 1,5 person. No window. There's a table and a chair. The bathroom is ok. It's quite clean. Wall are very thin so it can be very noisy depending on your neighbors...

Staff is helpfull.

There's a restaurant on the roof terrace with a nice view.

It's cheap so you get what you pay for !

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Westlake, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

The negatives:
1) Room wasn't ready when I arrived at 2pm
2) I learned from my experience in Manila that a standard room probably means no windows so I booked a superior. The first room they booked me into was a closet with no window. So depressing. After some pleading, they booked me into another superior room which was far better (how could these rooms be the same class and price). It had a window and was 2x as big. I think they were lying to me and put me in a standard room to start out with.
3) The bed is plastic, which reminded me of a cover you put on for your little child during his bed-wetting episodes.
4) Room is dull and pretty depressing.
5) It was raining so hard I decided to eat at the restaurant on the top floor. After ordering, the waitress forgot to put in the order. After waiting for forty minutes, I asked her where my food was. She said that I only ordered water which was a blatant lie. Even if I didn't order any food, what restaurant lets their patrons sit at a table for forty minutes without asking what they want to eat. Obviously, very bad customer service!
The positives:
1) Internet is free but spotty. The hotel next door, City State hotel, you have to pay which is ridicuous.
2) The staff was friendly
3) Pretty cheap place to stay
4) Robinson's mall is close, and since I take Si-Kat, a shuttle to Puerto Galera, in the morning that leaves from City State, this is a better option than City State Hotel.

Overall, I would pay more and stay at a better place.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Shanghai, China
1,796 helpful votes 1,796 helpful votes
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

This hotel is located in Ermita, a short walk from Robinsons Plaza.

Don't be foolled by the nice looking lobby. This place is a dump. From the slippery, rubber mattresses to the paper thin walls.

In addition, it is very noisy, most rooms are window-less, and surrounding area has been going downhill for years.

Pay about 500-700 peseos more for something better. It will be money well spent.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

While the hotel is well located, the value you get for what you pay is practically none. The deluxe room did not even have a fridge. The check-in process took too long. I arrived at 8:30 pm and they did not even have a clean room available, so I had to wait until they cleaned one. Staying on the 6th floor I was bombarded until early morning with the music from the 7th floor club. The last day they did not even clean up my room. This hotel is definitely NOT recommended.

Room Tip: IF you have to stay here for any reason, stay in as low a floor as possible
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Bandar Seri Begawan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

I booked this hotel online in a rush as i had to fly out the next day to Manila to attend a friends wedding in San Agustine Church in Intramuros, this hotel was located within the general area and more importantly to me was it was within my meagre budget. Without wasting anymore time i confirmed and paid for the hotel for the whole 4 days i was to be in Manila.
The day i was about to leave i decided to do a little research on the hotel and to my horror 80% of the reviews were bad. The one that got me was when this guy wrote " If i knew it was this bad i would have slept in Rizal Park".
I panicked and it was too late to cancel by then so i resigned myself to blowing my budget and booking in to another hotel the moment i reached Manila but i would give it a shot and at least look at the place before i decided.
When i got to Manila and took the taxi to the hotel it was a little difficult to locate at first, as i had never been to this part of Manila and from the look of the streets we were heading on i thought it was gonna be one of those Hotel...Motel...Inn...1 hour room rentals for a quickie kinda place....all sorts of visions were going through my mind after all it was only Ph$1400 per night including tax and breakfast. For the amount charged I wasn't expecting much just let the beds be clean, have a working air-conditioner and breathable air not stuffy or mouldy and i would be a happy camper.
When the taxi driver finally found the Hotel and we stopped in front of the entrance i was pleasantly surprised to have two security guards helping us out of the taxi and guiding us to the main entrance, when we entered the lobby it was a bit of mixed emotions as the lobby itself looked grander than i had imagined but apparently the air-conditioner wasn't working and it was swelteringly hot. I asked the receptionist if the air-con had been out a long time trying to get a jest of the maintenance situation but she answered it was only just that they had to shut it down. Things were looking up, i was getting anxious to see the rooms. I remember reading one of the reviewers tipping off to request for a room with a window when registering and that was what i did.
After a long while waiting in the sweltering lobby the receptionist finally advised we were on the 6th floor....uh oh i thought as i did not see an elevator when i walked in and the thought of climbing stairs to the 6th floor made me glossy eyed again. But lo and behold there was a large elevator behind a glass door at the rear of the receptionist counter....Fantastic!
The receptionist gave us a key card for the room we were assigned and this was great assurance as it couldn't be that bad if the hotel had invested in electronic door lock mechanisms for their rooms....could it? I was right.... when we got to the room it blew away my expectations. It was clean, the bed, floor, and bathroom were spotless. The room was standard sized and not small compared to the other budget places i had stayed at before....very comfortably sized. We had two of each towels, soaps, shampoo and even toothbrushes. There was a small LCD type television with more than enough channels to keep you entertained, the air-conditioner was excellently positioned at the side of the bed making sure you got a cool breeze constantly over you all the time (really needed with the extreme heat and humidity you get in Manila). The bathroom was well equipped with working hot and cold shower and faucet and the toilet even had a bidet wash pipe attached. The bed and pillows had to be one of the better ones i had slept on....very supportive without any hard spots you could feel when you got up in the morning. To top it all of there was freaking WiFi available in the rooms (though the internet availability stopped the last two days i was there but i didn't bother to mention it to the staff) There were a couple of minor things if you wanted to scrutinize like yes the walls and doors were on the thin side whereby it is noticeable to hear other tenants in the hall opening and closing their doors but it didn't bother me. It would have been nice to have a couple of cups and fresh drinking water and slippers provided as well as per most budget hotels i had been to.
Overall i thought it was perfect for the price paid...oh and did i forgot to mention this included a very nice daily breakfast of local Filipino dishes at their very nicely decorated in-house restaurant and all the staff were very pleasant with always a smile and a warm greeting.
I never write reviews but i felt i had to do justice to the bad reviews given previously to this establishment that gave me so much grief and i wanted others to hear of an honest first hand experience. I hope this will help someone out there make their decisions based on honest reviews and expectations. Thanks for reading.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Gran Prix Hotel and Suites Manila? Share your experiences!