“Was worried due to the recent bad reviews but turned out to be perfect!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gran Prix Hotel and Suites Manila

You added Gran Prix Hotel and Suites Manila to your Saves list
Gran Prix Hotel and Suites Manila
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Tesoro Building, 1325 Mabini Street, Ermita, Manila, Luzon 589, Philippines (Malate)   |
Ranked #57 of 104 Hotels in Manila
Bandar Seri Begawan
“Was worried due to the recent bad reviews but turned out to be perfect!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

I booked this hotel online in a rush as i had to fly out the next day to Manila to attend a friends wedding in San Agustine Church in Intramuros, this hotel was located within the general area and more importantly to me was it was within my meagre budget. Without wasting anymore time i confirmed and paid for the hotel for the whole 4 days i was to be in Manila.
The day i was about to leave i decided to do a little research on the hotel and to my horror 80% of the reviews were bad. The one that got me was when this guy wrote " If i knew it was this bad i would have slept in Rizal Park".
I panicked and it was too late to cancel by then so i resigned myself to blowing my budget and booking in to another hotel the moment i reached Manila but i would give it a shot and at least look at the place before i decided.
When i got to Manila and took the taxi to the hotel it was a little difficult to locate at first, as i had never been to this part of Manila and from the look of the streets we were heading on i thought it was gonna be one of those Hotel...Motel...Inn...1 hour room rentals for a quickie kinda place....all sorts of visions were going through my mind after all it was only Ph$1400 per night including tax and breakfast. For the amount charged I wasn't expecting much just let the beds be clean, have a working air-conditioner and breathable air not stuffy or mouldy and i would be a happy camper.
When the taxi driver finally found the Hotel and we stopped in front of the entrance i was pleasantly surprised to have two security guards helping us out of the taxi and guiding us to the main entrance, when we entered the lobby it was a bit of mixed emotions as the lobby itself looked grander than i had imagined but apparently the air-conditioner wasn't working and it was swelteringly hot. I asked the receptionist if the air-con had been out a long time trying to get a jest of the maintenance situation but she answered it was only just that they had to shut it down. Things were looking up, i was getting anxious to see the rooms. I remember reading one of the reviewers tipping off to request for a room with a window when registering and that was what i did.
After a long while waiting in the sweltering lobby the receptionist finally advised we were on the 6th floor....uh oh i thought as i did not see an elevator when i walked in and the thought of climbing stairs to the 6th floor made me glossy eyed again. But lo and behold there was a large elevator behind a glass door at the rear of the receptionist counter....Fantastic!
The receptionist gave us a key card for the room we were assigned and this was great assurance as it couldn't be that bad if the hotel had invested in electronic door lock mechanisms for their rooms....could it? I was right.... when we got to the room it blew away my expectations. It was clean, the bed, floor, and bathroom were spotless. The room was standard sized and not small compared to the other budget places i had stayed at before....very comfortably sized. We had two of each towels, soaps, shampoo and even toothbrushes. There was a small LCD type television with more than enough channels to keep you entertained, the air-conditioner was excellently positioned at the side of the bed making sure you got a cool breeze constantly over you all the time (really needed with the extreme heat and humidity you get in Manila). The bathroom was well equipped with working hot and cold shower and faucet and the toilet even had a bidet wash pipe attached. The bed and pillows had to be one of the better ones i had slept on....very supportive without any hard spots you could feel when you got up in the morning. To top it all of there was freaking WiFi available in the rooms (though the internet availability stopped the last two days i was there but i didn't bother to mention it to the staff) There were a couple of minor things if you wanted to scrutinize like yes the walls and doors were on the thin side whereby it is noticeable to hear other tenants in the hall opening and closing their doors but it didn't bother me. It would have been nice to have a couple of cups and fresh drinking water and slippers provided as well as per most budget hotels i had been to.
Overall i thought it was perfect for the price paid...oh and did i forgot to mention this included a very nice daily breakfast of local Filipino dishes at their very nicely decorated in-house restaurant and all the staff were very pleasant with always a smile and a warm greeting.
I never write reviews but i felt i had to do justice to the bad reviews given previously to this establishment that gave me so much grief and i wanted others to hear of an honest first hand experience. I hope this will help someone out there make their decisions based on honest reviews and expectations. Thanks for reading.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Lausanne, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

I come from Switzerland and I visited four hotels in Manilla with the same budget 2'500 pesos in February 2012. The Gran Prix was the worse experience in my life. Unfortunetly I paid directly for two nights. When I discover the price, I try to translate whit my smartphone but I discover that is not possible to have wifi because it's broken. After I heard that the breakfast is fish with rice and nothing else. Well, with the price I've normally a safety case but when I discover the room, nothing. The guy who works seem very ennoyed to keep me one safety case. But this is nothing, the worse come later. I was disapointed by the bad smell of the room. Impossible for open the window. The bed was not clean. When I open the fridge, nothing to drink. A stayed in 6 or 7 floor and there is a kind of restaurant which become a disco in the night because of the big loud of music. In addition, the concert in the street don't stop. So it is absolutely impossible to sleep with all the noise in the room. At 01:30 the telephone rings. At 14:30 somebody try to enter in my room, I was so affraid. I wake up to try to ask but nothing. I don't sleep all the night, when I tell my experience in the reception, they don't care. Financially, I lost one night because I searched a new hotel for the second night. So don't go in this hotel because it's expensive without securtiy, quiet and confort.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

I stayed in this hotel on November 26, 2011 and I do not recommend anyone to stay in this hotel. Rooms are extremely small. There are no windows. There isn't even a space to put your luggage. Service was terrible. No towels. In general, with this price, you can get so many different hotels in the same area that are much better than this one.

Room Tip: Don't book at this hotel at all.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Zamboanga City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

Stayed here as a final pit stop for honeymoon with my husband. Well, it was not really a honeymoon material hotel, but we managed. The room, typical of a Gran Prix franchise, was small, no windows, no view. Relatively clean, nothing special. Walls were paper thin so you could hear the noise from the people passing along the corridor, sometimes even the 'happening' on the opposite room. What I love about this place is the price and the location. The place is absolutely accessible to anywhere and the rates are super affordable. My husband loves the breakfast they're serving at the rooftop restaurant, he digs the tocilog, and i do to. What scared me when I first got here was that it was in line with hotels and pubs in a red light district. It feels like, since it was a relatively cheap hotel, chances are, people who might check in here, are not really tourists per se, but just merely anyone getting a room to enjoy for a night and leave their juices on the sheets. Hope they could maintain or improve their cleanliness so they would not shoo away wholesome tourists, especially those who might check in with kids, and discover something peculiarly nasty on the sheets or towels.

Room Tip: Never get a room that is one floor below their rooftop restaurant. Chances are, if there are events...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Bradford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

My Fiance and i stayed at the Grand prix for 2 weeks in september 2011, it is in a perfect spot, 7/11 and laundry service just round the corner, a great bar next door "Bar 28". Just round the corner from robinsons mall. You are about 30mins drive from all airport terminals so around 250 to 600 pesos in taxi, the rooms are around 1300 pesos for a basic double bed, t.v and shower with a complimentary breakfast, that is also very nice. We will be staying there again in May 2012 before we have our embassy visit in order to marry. I would recommend the Grand Prix to anyone, its all you need at a very reasonable rate, the staff are very helpful and friendly too. Also free internet in reception. Nice rooftop restaurant, good at night, although music can be a little loud.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a window, as some of the windowless rooms can feel a little boxed in
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

booking a superior room, very small, no window, poor furniture. The day I arrive the staff accept a sooner check in without surcharge; but no water in bathroom for shower, need to wait the truck which delevery the water, it was at 3pm...... hotel very very noisy, its an hotel for filipinos, not for foreigner..... breakfast is included, yes, but only local breakfast; otherwise you pay 100 php extra... staff service is from average to good, but I never return to this hotel

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
ILOILO
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

room very small and the very disappointing part is that i lost my necklace there! i just left my necklace at my bag and after a day when i check it, it was gone! i complained it but no help at all! calles two weeks ago they told me thay'll call me but none, when i called them just this moment they told me i maybe lost is somewhere else, but im sure i put it in my bag! then ill ask them why they didnt call me, they answered me that they are just busy?! what? for 2 weeks? no time just to give me a call to tell me about their investigation?!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Gran Prix Hotel and Suites Manila? Share your experiences!