“A Strange Little Place....” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #53 of 766 Restaurants in Manila
Cuisines: German
Nelson, NZ
“A Strange Little Place....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

This is a strange little place which could be a gem if things were done right. I've now been there twice and had a similar experience both times. The food varies between OK and very good. Vienna schnitzel was fine but the Hungarian Goulash, whilst tasting great had only four chunks of meat in a rather large bowl - very disappointing. The German sausages were "mini" and looked as though they had been over-cooked on a BBQ. Smoked pork loin was tough. The dumpling soup was excellent.

Whilst the food was a mixture the service was not - it was extremely poor on both occasions. It was if the inmates had taken over the asylum.... There is a staff table at the back of the restaurant where the staff gather to eat and watch the local soap operas, and they are hard to move from this favoured spot. On our second visit I ordered Vienna schnitzel which never arrived. When I inquired I got a grunt from the waitress who then departed back to the staff table - no meal arrived.

When paying the bill on both visits it was difficult to catch the attention of the staff so I clapped my hands. The second visit the staff all jumped up and ran around clapping their hands and laughing - I couldn't imagine a better strategy to antagonize customers. We will not be returning.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Manila, Philippines
“Good Selection”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Excellent menu. frequented by tourists and expats of German decent. Excellent German food. have eaten there many times.

Visited May 2013
Kidapawan
“Wish I was close”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

It's been 10 years since I could just walk down the block to enjoy a superb meal, at a very good price too. My live-in at that time never refused in favor of anywhere else. Sadly, we built our house far outside metro Manila, and then subsequently .. .well ... new life, new wife, new family and babies. Still, many scrumptious visits commuting into Ermita until 2012, then ... new province, way way too far away now.

In perspective, even if I _could_ source the ingredients within two-days commute of where I sit now (and I *do* know how to make everything thanks to my grandmother years ago), I would be oh-so-happy to just walk up the street if I was still around there and enjoy jaeger scnitzel, or goulash, with spaetzel and/or kneodel with extra gravy on request.

Otherwise, Munchen is at the top of my list whenever I might be back anywhere close to the corner of Padre Faura and Mabini, and I hope they'll still be there too, 2 steps down from street level and well worth finding the door.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
“A little bit of Muenchen (Munich) in Manila”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Enjoyed the steak and potatoes, the small German pub feel, and the service fine.

Barely finished my meal as the portions were on the large side.

It made me feel like I was still eating at a favorite bar in Germany.

Visited February 2013
Kidapawan
“oh yes, absolutely!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

about 3 doors down Mabini from the corner of Padre Faura.
Always perfect authentic German food, and they are very accomodating to special requests. They've obviously been there many years and I hope they're there next time I'm in Malate.
Excellent value for a superb meal. You will not leave hungry!
Many many visits between 2002-2011