“expensive restaurant” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel H2O

Save Saved
You added Hotel H2O to your Saves list
Hotel H2O
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Luneta (Behind the Quirino Grandstand), Manila, Luzon 1000, Philippines   |
Special Offer
Family Diamond Package!
Ranked #9 of 103 hotels in Manila
London
“expensive restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

The attraction of staying in this hotel is of course their aqua room, where instead of a window you have a wall-sized aquarium with fishes swimming from one room to another. This is a nice experience both for children and adults. As other reviewers have already said, they turn off the aquarium lights at night - but you can still see the fish. I was a bit bothered that the toilet in our aqua room had a see-through glass door from the bedroom - you don't get any privacy.

We also stayed in a bay view room - which was a lot bigger than the aqua room where we stayed on the first day. There is a bath tub (just a shower in the aqua room) and two toilets and showers (the glass doors to the toilets are frosted and thus provide pricavy), plus a separate living area with a sofa.

The problem with this hotel is the food. My son had room service, and he said it was not good. In fact he tried to look for another restaurant downstairs (there are several, although they are closed by 9pm, probably even earlier). He ordered chicken wings, and he said it tasted like adobo. The buffet breakfast is not worth the amount they charge for it (if you don't get free breakfast buffet with your room). There are very few choices - on our first breakfast, we only had a choice of breaded fish fillet (not good), sausage (not even longganisa), fried ham, beef with pepper and chicken adobo. I had the chicken adobo and was extremely disappointed - one would think the chef/s would have perfected this national dish but I could make better adobo using commercially available adobo mix (it was that bad). The hot chocolate drink had too much water. Their lemonade was all right, but it was not available on our second day in the hotel.

We had lunch and dinner also at the hotel restaurant and I felt we paid too much for a so-so meal. If you have a choice, you'd be better off having your meals at the restaurant chains downstairs. The wait staff were extremely courteous, probably trying to make up for the below average food.

I treated my sister to a body massage at the spa, and she said it was not good at all. They also have a weird way of soliciting for tips (optional) for their masseuse: they ask you to write your name on a form, your comments, and the amount you would like to give as tip. Other spas give you an envelope which you turn over to reception if you want to leave a tip - which I think is a better system than the one this hotel uses.

If you want to go to Ocean Park, you can buy your tickets at the hotel reception (same rate as in the ticketing booth). Beware though that they might not give you the correct time for the show you want to see. My friends bought tickets for the stingray encounter and were told that they have to be there at 7.45am. When they arrived at the gate, only the guard was there and they were told that it actually starts at 8.30 or thereabouts.

I will probably not be coming back to this hotel.

Room Tip: choose the aqua rooms for the experience
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
H2O-Manila, General Manager at Hotel H2O, responded to this review, November 9, 2013
Thank you for taking time to post a review.

I would like to apologize for the disappointing experience you had on our Food and Beverage. I will share your feedback to our F&B team as it will help us to improve the quality of our service and products.

With regards to your comment regarding hotel reception and Spa, this has been shared with the concern Department Heads to avoid similar incident in the future. We value your comments as it allows us to recognize the needs of our guests and to improve our service.

We look forward that you would give us opportunity to be of service to you in the future.

532 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Makati, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Before I booked this hotel, I just feel the "aqua rooms" is overrated. And the Park View after the first instance you have seen the Musical Fountain Show will just irritate you for the nth time you have to endure the laser lights.

Bay View room is the best option. Watching the sunset inside your room is definitely an amazing experience in itself. Though, don't expect the water to be clear or even wish for a balcony. Manila Bay stink and that is a fact.

Likes: The suite is clean. I like the layout of the room. Towels smell and look fresh. Comfy bed

Suggestions: They should have removed the stain in the carpet. The glass doors tend to bang loudly (and a lock maybe?) The in-house movie is a bit of a rip-off. And power outlet pls near the corner tables.

In all, a great experience.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking to post a review. We appreciate & truly value your comments as these help us to improve.

We regret to hear that you experience was not to your expectation and we would like to express our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience caused.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed other aspects of our hotel.

It is also appreciated that you gave us inputs on the areas we can improve on. I have taken note of your comments. Rest assured that we will always look at improving the service we provide to our valued guests.

We still look forward to your next visit in the near future.
Oahu, Hawaii
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

When I booked at the time, I didn't realize that the hotel sits on an unlit area, very poor lighting around this property at night. I was nervous coming and in out of the hotel. We stayed here for a whole week with my family. The hype about this hotel was having an aquarium inside your room. But in reality, it wasn't all that! Trying to make a boutique style hotel, doesn't compare to what I've seen in my travels.

The last couple nights here were terrible. We encountered a scare for our lives, when an alarm goes off inside our room and no one (staffs) seems to know why? They can't even figure out how to turn it off the darn thing! Mind you, getting woken up in the middle of the night with an alarm blaring while you are inside the room, is enough to give someone a heart attack. Prior to that event, was the constant knocking on our door, but no one was there once opened? I was livid that night! After all these shenanigans. Finally a guy came to our room with a ladder, yanked the cable off the alarm to stop it. And so we went back to bed that night with a wire hanging down from the ceiling, with no alarm when a real fire comes. Go figure!
The next morning, I kept waiting for some respond to what the hell had happened that night? But no one come around, not even an apology from a manager for that matter? Once I checked out and mentioned it to the front desk, she pretended nothing had happened in that bloody night.Seriously! I knew I had to write review about this, I wish I'd done it sooner. I will never stay here again ever and make sure that my friends and family won't have to either. Most wasted time of my travel, not to mentioned the money I spent here. Ugh! What a waste.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
H2O-Manila, General Manager at Hotel H2O, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Thank you for taking time to post a review. We truly apologize for all the inconvenience you experienced during your stay. What transpired is not standard of our service.

We have taken note of the concerns you raised and will ensure that proper action is done right away to avoid similar incident in the future.

We will continue to strive at improving our guest experience to exceed your expectations as we sincerely hope you will give us the chance to be of service to you once again in the future.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

Chose this hotel since it's near the us embassy and had promo rates being offered during our scheduled trip. The aquarium inside the room makes it different from other hotel. Nice experience for kids. But for me, this is all the hotel could offer. Location wise.. not advisable if you dont have an impt thing to do near luneta or the us embassy.
It's also difficult to get a cab and drivers ask for extra charge. Service at the front desk was ok but the staff in the pool area did not even care after getting our coupon..... poor service. They cannor provide anything we requested like floaters, lifejacket, and towels. Not worth it especially if you pay their published rate.

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for taking time to write a constructive review for Hotel H2O.

We regret to hear that your experience was not to your expectation and we would like to express our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience caused. We appreciate & truly value your comments as these help us to improve. Your comments have been forwarded to the Department concerned. Rest assured that necessary measures will be taken accordingly.

We hope that you will still give us opportunity to be service to you once again in the future.
Mandaluyong, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

This is by far the best hotel for family with kids we've been to. We went there last December 2012 and initially wanted a mid-priced room (cause its pricey) but for some reason they upgraded it to a premiere suite (seaside view) and jacuzzi =) The room is so cozy!
We initially did able to turn-on the jacuzzi but staff are friendly enough to assist us.

The pool though is OK, but do not expect for privacy. Looks like the pool is part of the water park where they stage water shows in the evening, so spectators (yes!) staring at you while you are swimming.

This hotel is part of the Manila's Ocean Park, so its an added treats for the kids!

Room Tip: Don't mind the swimming pool
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
H2O-Manila, General Manager at Hotel H2O, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Thank you for taking time to post a review. We are very delighted to hear that you truly enjoyed your stay.

Our entire team appreciates that you enjoyed our facilities. Indeed, our location is also a major plus because it gives our guests easy access to Manila Ocean Park attractions, amongst others.

We truly appreciate that you found Hotel H2O as best hotel for family with kids.

We look forward to welcome you back. Once again, thank you very much.
Belleville, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Loved the Hotel, close proximity to just about everything. Hotel was extremily good, had a couple minor problems with room, like batteries died on remote control, also AC went out on our room. Maintenace came out fast, could not repair AC unit in timely manner so they moved us into another Aqua room, all within an hour of intial contact from us. It was a little irritating to have to move so a compt upgraded room would have been nice given our long stay but none was available. That was the only disappointing moment. But Staff was excellent, service excellent.
Makan Makan on site restuarant was excellent, their staff remembers you and has everything ready for you every morning just the way we liked it.
Really made us feel like royalty there.
One downside, purchasing tours is quite expensive through Hotel, you can easily do it online for much cheaper.

Room Tip: Aqua, definatly Aqua is a must. Loved waking up to that enormous fishtank, great way to wake up and...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking time to share a feedback about Hotel H2O.

I would like to apologize for the unpleasant experiences due to the malfunctioned of air-condition in our guestroom. Our Engineering Department ensures the regular check of air-condition is being done. We have taken note of this issue as an area that requires improvement.

I am happy to note that you were satisfied with the service that was provided by our staff. Truly one of our strongest asset is our manpower. Thank you for your appreciation.

We look forward on your next visit.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I stayed at the start and end of my trip, few nights in a Park view room and Aqua Room.

Both were very clean, nice and modern, with good facilities. Staff were very friendly and helpful.

Airport pick up was all ok and got through the Manila "whacky racers traffic" safely.

The Aqua Room is nice for the novelty as the fish swim past and it has an electric blind for night time if you like - keeps the children entertained if there is nothing on TV and nice to wake up and watch the fish swim about - didn't see any of the lobsters they must have been hanging out in another room. Would probably recommend the deluxe version for the bit more space and bath if staying again.

Park view room had nice views of the Manila sky line, swimming pool and water show, but they were being refurbished when I was there. Would be ideal for families as the novelty of the fish in the aqua room wears off after a while and there are no windows.

Having the shops and Deep Sea world on the ground floor is good for a day out and the park across the road is nice for a stole at night and lets children run about in safety.

The restaurants, meeting area were all very professional looking and clean.

Didn't use the spa, but it looked good if your into that.

The LTR train is within walking distance too and Robinsons Mall is a 15 min walk.

Will be trying a Bay View room on my next visit as the views across the bay from the breakfast area are lovely and the harbour area is quite busy so lots to see and do.

Only criticism would be the check in procedure seems to take an age with a few weird questions which isn't really what your after a long flight and extra beds for children didn't seem to be an option so not ideal if you have older children.

But over all a nice hotel, still got the free slippers as they are rather comfy.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
We sincerely appreciate that you took time to share your recent stay experience at Hotel H2O.

I wish to thank you for acknowledging our Parkview Room and Aqua Room and the friendliness of our hotel staff. Indeed, our location is also a major plus because it gives our guests easy access to LRT train and malls.

Thank you as well for giving inputs on the areas we can improve on. I have taken note of your comments regarding check in procedures. Rest assured that we will always look at improving the services we provide to our valued guests.

We also look forward to your next visit in the near future.

Been to Hotel H2O? Share your experiences!