“Terrible!!..” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel H2O

Save Saved
You added Hotel H2O to your Saves list
Hotel H2O
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Luneta (Behind the Quirino Grandstand), Manila, Luzon 1000, Philippines   |
Special Offer
Family Diamond Package!
Ranked #12 of 104 hotels in Manila
Manila, Philippines
“Terrible!!..”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are good but the service and staff really sucks. Pathetic service quality for a four star hotel rating. Everything went down south immediately upon arriving. Nobody was at the drop off when we arrived. Nobody even bothered to help us bring our bags to the third floor hotel lobby. Too many bad experiences. The only thing they offer is the oceanarium. Would not recommend staying here. Would suggest rather to stay in manila hotel. Just a walk away.

• Stayed February 2013

515 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We stayed in the Aqua Supreme room with a huge aquarium wall that ran along the one side of the hotel. My daughter was so fascinated watching big schools of colorful fishes bustling across from one wall and escaping through the other wall. The room is spacious with comfy king- size bed, 32inch lcd tv, complimentary soda, bottled water and chips. Breakfast buffet is good and the waitstaff were prompt and accommodating.

However, there are some down side:
the bathroom is quite unusual. The shower and toilet area not separated so after taking a shower the entire floor gets wet. The sink and bath tub are just a few steps away from the bed and there was nothing to keep the water from flowing into the carpeted area.

the swimming pool lacks privacy and not exclusive for hotel guests because it is open for the general public for a fee. It is situated outside the hotel premises, across the entrance of Manila Ocean Park and worst it is an extension of the fountain and sea-lion show so a lot of people are watching while you are swimming.

the hotel and Manila Ocean Park shares the same entrance so you have to pass by the long lines of people going to several park's attraction before reaching the lobby/reception at the 3rd level. Expect noise from the crowd during field trips and events.

the reception staffs were generally approachable and would help with requests, although they were also unlikely to go the extra mile and offer favors that were not requested for. They should be more warm and welcoming to their guests.

Overall, the hotel is very unique for it has marine life theme and an ideal place to stay if you have children or if you want to experience underwater world. I hope the management would look into the above-mentioned issues because i believe it will go a long way if given the proper attention.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

A different setting for a hotel because there is an aquarium on one side of your wall. This is the only main attraction here. I expect the room is aquarium themed, but it is only for one side and the rest are just normal. A very expensive room but not satisfied with it. The staff is not friendly. They did not accompany us to the right entrance. Seems that they aren't welcoming any of the guests properly. So we got lost. Asked so many people until we get to the right place. They did not tell us what is complimentary in the room. The wi-fi has a password for a single gadget only occupying the room. Not good value for money. A place where we won't come back again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

The entrance is shared with the water park, so is very busy. But once in the hotel it is worth it for the view.
We arrived early so had to wait to check in, was not a problem as we went out for a couple of hours. But the staff on the front desk were not very friendly. We were the subsequently asked four times what our room number was, but we had not been given a key or room as it was not time to check in, it gave me a feeling they were a bit unorganised and not communicating between the staff.

There was loud music that went on until midnight. If I had stayed longer I would have complained about this, but we were only there for one night.

If you want to go to a hypermarket there is one at Mall of Asia which is only 10 minutes away in a taxi.

Rooms are nice, bathroom is a bit weird with the sink in the room, but the one thing that made our stay was the view over the bay, the sunset was beautiful. You only get this with a bay view room, the other rooms have fish tanks, which looked quite cool, so depends on your preferences.

Breakfast is very limited if you want western food, if you like Asian breakfasts then their are lots of choices. I didn't fancy chicken feet for breakfast.

Room Tip: Bay view to watch the sunset over the bay.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Balestier, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

We stayed at the 'Room With Aquarium View' for 2 nights and the following were our experiences :
Pro :
a) Unique 'Room With Aquarium View' to experience. The room is simple with Queen Bed, minimal furnishing and very clean. Bed is comfortable with 4 pillows. Shower is very good. No bathtub.
b) Hotel faces Manila Bay with good view in the morning and dusk.
c) Staff is very courteous and proficient in English.
d) Hotel cafe (Makan Makan Restaurant) has very good and delicious morning buffet and very good service.
e) Adjacent to the Manila Ocean Park. Easy access and convenient to visit the Ocean Park.
Con :
a) Difficult to locate the first time especially in the dark. We arrived at 6.00am and the surrounding area was deserted. The hotel signboard was not lighted.
b)The hotel is off the main areas. There is no convenience store nearby. The nearest convenience store (7-eleven) is about 15-20min. walk away by cutting across Rizal Park (dangerous to walk night when the park is deserted).
c) Very difficult to get a taxi after 9.00pm (after the Ocean Park has closed) and the whole area is almost deserted after 10.00pm. Not good to return late at night. Closest LRT is the UN Avenue station on LRT 1 (Yellow Line) about 30 min. walk away (not safe to walk after dark).
d) Only Queen Bed available. No Twin Bed room.

We would recommend this hotel to others to try as a 'one off experience'. However, we will not be staying in the hotel again because it is better to experience other hotels in Manila.

Room Tip: There are 3 types of rooms, i.e. 'Aquarium Room', 'Manila Bay View Room' and 'Oc...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Henderson, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

First of all I am from the USA so my comparisons may not be fair. I and my fiance' stayed at Hotel H20 for 10 nights, in the Aqua room.

The good - I was delayed 10 hours and the staff was very friendly they had someone waiting at the airport to pick me up (900 peso), as I let them know of my delay. I did not find the entire 3rd floor for check in a problem like others that have commented here. Upon entry to the Aqua room my fears from reading the past reviews were put to rest - the room was very nice, did not have low ceilings as others have stated and did not feel claustrophobic. Everything was the way it was supposed to be.

The Great - Makan Makan - Carlos in paticular - Carlos took care of us right from the first day (complimentary breakfast) to the last day (10 total), being from Las Vegas I know the difference between good and great service and Carlos should be at a top 5 star restaurant. He did a superb job in both everything we asked for and a lot that we did not ask for - Hopefully management see's that in his work as well. The rest of the staff there was very pleasent as well.

Not So Great - If you are looking for a lot of entertainment and are here for more than a couple days you may be dissapointed. We went to Ocean Park, Star City, Mall of Asia (several times). Ocean Park about 10% of what Seaworld is. Star City - 5% of what 6 Flags is. The mall is real nice if thats your thing and has many nice restaurants as well as fast food.

Bad - The pool really is not good, if you like laying by the pool and hanging out for drinks I would choose another destination. I wont go into the problems with the pool other then to say it is not conducive to a fun relaxing time.

Also the lounge by the pool and upstairs both which boast live entertainment are basically dead the entire time with the exception of 1 evening that a large group was there. We did have one bad experience upstairs in which we waited over an hour and were not even asked if we wanted something to drink.

Some of the things that are room was to include 2 sodas a day 2 waters a day 2 chips a day and newspaper were not there as promised (except the water), no big deal as we dont drink soda, chips would have been nice. Paper no problem because free copies available at front desk

Overall I would return to Hotel H20 if I had a reason too stay in that area, our previous trip to Boracay was much nicer from a romantic level and many more activities

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Asia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

After reading about Manila having some of the world's largest shopping centres, I decided to ignore the numerous forumers who said Manila was a hole and Manila a visit. So obviously, I needed a place to stay. Went to the usual sites to check opinions like Tripadvisor and Agoda, and decided on H2O.

Overall it was not bad. Let's check out the pro's and cons:

Pro's:
------

- modern new clean decor

- decently sized room and shower/toilet

- generally polite and helpful staff.

- free Wifi.

- I had a room facing Manila Bay. During the day, it was quite boring- none of the few boats seem to move, and the water is not clean or fresh looking. But the scene becomes much nicer when the sun sets (it's a lovely red sun) and at night.

Personally, I'd have preferred a view of the Ocean Park, based on the previous reviews- would have loved to have seen dolphins and what not. One reviewer mentioned about "why would she want to see strangers?", but I think most of us would focus on the ocean park and show, not the individual audience members.

- Next to Manila Ocean Park.

- Never had to wait more than a few minutes for a taxi.

Note that you only have two choices for gettting around- walking or taxi. Be careful of taxi drivers who do not use meter, and ask you for a fixed fare instead. Happened to me 3 times during my 3 day stay. You just tell the driver to pull over and get out and wave down another taxi. This is a problem with Manila taxi drivers, not of the hotel.

- Gym is large and attractively decked out. It has most machines and dumbells a normal gym has, as well as a 40 inch(I think) LCD and it looks welcoming to work out in. When I went, there was a very fit European 25-30 yo son , with his elderly father working out. Nice to see family bonding through exercise!

- Had a good range of cable tv. Watched a channel called "History" quite a bit- it seems similar to Discovery.

- It's close to several tourist attractions, such as Manila Ocean Park (of course!), Ultramurous (a 400 plus yo walled fort), the University of Santo Tomas (402 yo university), and SM Mall Of Asia (though I think this is one of the blander super malls in Manila, even though it's large.

Cons:
-------

- Their laundry service was not to the standard I expected. I sent it out twice, and each time they left me a note saying I was not in at the time they tried to deliver it. My experience at other hotels is they let themselves in and hang the laundry, which I find far more preferable to having to then get in touch with reception and wait 10-20 minutes for them to bring it.

- The Makan Makan place on level 2 has a buffet breakfast which has a decent range of food, but it's not very nice. Food is not tasty, and sometimes dry.

- I caught sight of the rooms with aquariums along the wall. I don't know all the different rooms they have, but I don't think I'd like one of those long term, as there was no window that I saw, so it's quite enclosed.

- Although the reception level, which includes the waiting area and gym, is well maintained and attraxctive, the rest of the place is not. In particular, they seem to have defective chairs and seats.

The seats of the Makan Makan restaurant have peeling armrests and upholstry, and the most of the chairs made of black (stretched bamboo?) in the outdoor bar facing Manila Bay are torn. Even the trendy lime green scooped out chair in my hotel room is tilted forward. They really need to be replaced.

Overall, it's not a bad place, but there is much they need do to make it become a first class hotel.

If you've reached the end of this wordy review, I think you for you time and hope I've helped you!

Room Tip: From the reviews I've read, the room that suits you best depends on your own tastes and if you...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hotel H2O? Share your experiences!