“Hotel H2O - Good Experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel H2O

Save Saved
You added Hotel H2O to your Saves list
Hotel H2O
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Luneta (Behind the Quirino Grandstand), Manila, Luzon 1000, Philippines   |
Offers & Announcements
Family Trick or Treat!
Ranked #9 of 103 Hotels in Manila
Quezon City, Philippines
“Hotel H2O - Good Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

Hotel H2O is the first hotel in the Philippines with the unique concept of aquatic themed rooms...an interesting experience how it feels living in a posh aquarium lined with luxury and style.

The hotel is conveniently located in the country's capital, Manila City. The hotel is literally beside the Manila sea port, so it should be no problem if you're coming from a holiday yacht cruise or inter island ferry boats. Drive from the airport should be 45 mins tops. About 15-20 mins taxi ride from the provincial bus stations in Lawton and Pasay. 10 mins walk or 5 mins by taxi ride to the nearest city train station (LRT UN Avenue station). Taxi cabs also ply the area.

Hotel H20 is in the premises of the Manila Ocean Park, within the complex of Rizal Park (Luneta Park) South East Asia's largest national urban park. As such, there are plenty of tourist attracts that abound you. Going around the ocean park itself for the marine wildlife shows and activities can sure get the little kids and adults going. The attractions don't stop there, step outside and you're in for more sites such as the monument of Jose Rizal, Light and Sound complex, relief map boardwalk, the Intramuros (historic walled city of Manila) and for a few minutes drive you're at the country's biggest shopping mall - the SM Mall of Asia.

The rooms are spacious and stylish with very clean bath rooms, rain head showers and jacuzzi bath tubs for selected rooms, basic bath amenities, mini bar and digital cable tv. Rooms also have WiFi access. However getting the password can be quite inconvenient as each device will be assigned with its own user name and password for the internet access good for 24 hours. The fitness center has basic work out facilities as well.

Housekeeping staff are polite and efficient. Room service may take a while even for simple orders like sandwiches so its better to order in advance or allow for preparation and delivery time. The concierge/bellmen staff are polite. Front desk people can be quite busy and sometimes forget to ask if you need luggage assistance, nevertheless they are still accommodating and polite.

Food choices are plenty at the ocean park premises but to have more local feel and experience try the local restaurants in Roxas boulevard, Remedios circle or at the Mall of Asia.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Darmstadt, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

I booked this hotel on Agoda with the "crazy rate". Acutally they don't tell you which hotel you are booking, but I could easily find out in internet, that it is the H2O. So I got a room for only 65 US Dollar per night. Overall the hotel is awesome, even the rooms are a little bit small. The only problem was to find the reception. The taxi brought us to a small building, where we left our luggage and waited for around 20 minutes until a staff told us, that this is not the reception and that we need to go inside the water park. There we got lost again, but found later the entrance to the hotel. The reception is in the 3rd floor, the rooms are below.
We had a nice few on the show and we could see sea lions from our room. I guess the rooms facing the ocean are even greater. The room was very clean. The first evening we walked outside to find any restaurant, that we found after a long walk. So it is a little bit apart of everything. But going back with a taxi it took us only few minutes.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Cavite City, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

I saw in the internet the rate of H2O that's why when my tourist asked for a new hotel I recommended this hotel. Unfortunately I didn't know that they charge higher to walk in customers and I really regret that I brought him there. The room was really small compared to the one we had at Dusit just a night before and to think that we paid double for this small room is very regretful. Unfortunately we checked in Monday so they have no jazz music, no musical show, the other stores aren't open so there's not much to see when we went there. We tried to stand by at the white moon bar but the drinks are also expensive and they don't give free finger foods too. But in fairness for fish lovers the view of the aquarium is really nice the mirrored wall made the room look larger and the aircon is really cold. So far when we left I asked my tourist to rate it and he said he's not satisfied. Another comment is they don't give free shuttle to the airport unlike other hotels that we got. The staff got a metered taxi to take us to the airport and I left one of my bags which has all my important documents in it. The hotel never gave us that paper which records the plate number and contact number of the driver so when I found out I left my bag in the car I tied to hire another taxi to follow it but in vain, good thing the driver returned it to the hotel after a few hours and the hotel informed me that it was already there. One good thing about the staff is they called me right away and reported the things inside my bag making sure everything is there and nothing got lost.

Room Tip: Actually I want all who could read this to know that next time you want to check in here make sure y...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Batangas City, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

Hotel H2O sits right on the Manila Ocean Park complex. Our room actually was a Park View Room, which had a view of the marine show stage. The hotel, room and furnishings were still relatively new. My wife, 2 kids and I were in a twin bedded room and while my sons are admittedly already at the age (8 and 10) where at home they occupy their own room, I still found the beds a bit too small and soft for my own comfort. There wasn't so much as a bathroom but instead the shower and water closet stall were in the room itself and only separated by glass partitions, the lower part of which was frosted to afford an amount (albeit very limited) of privacy. The lavatory was likewise in the room itself and right alongside one of the beds. The glass partitions did not seal quite right so much so that when my younger son took a shower, the water splashing led to quite a bit of water leaking into the room area.

Service was passable though a few questionable practices in my view. For the check-in, I was expecting to go swiftly as we were local residents on a prepaid reservation. Still took a good 10 minutes or so to fill in the various forms as well as provide my credit card for guarantee purposes. An hour or so before we checked out, I also received a call on the room phone reminding me to check-out at 12PM. I understand it's the appointed check out time but I didn't exactly think they were fully booked so while I was not looking for a late check out arrangement, the reminder to check out at 12PM was not really appreciated.

Breakfast at Makan Makan was surprisingly adequate. Usually smaller type hotels don't offer anything nearly as varied as the spread they had. Perhaps the other plus point was that WiFi was free not to mention they allowed a couple of devices on which to log-on to. So no issues with me logging on simultaneously on my notebook and iphone.

At the time of our stay, there was quite a bit of construction work going on at the driveways leading to and from the the park and hotel complex making the walk to Quirino Grandstand and Rizal Park a rather dusty affair.

Our intention was really to use the hotel as base for our park visit but the park had a no reentry policy, which sort of defeated the purpose of having a hotel adjacent to or within the park in the first place. Perhaps another point to improve as to me it was the biggest selling point of the hotel.

The rate we got for the room was fairly reasonable though it was a 14-day advance purchase on a reservation website. Altogether still quite good value but definitely nothing to shout home about. As mentioned above, the hotel should really capitalise on its location beside the theme park. It would possibly attract more guests if such guests were free to shuttle between the park and the hotel

Pasig, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

We booked the hotel via Ensogo (discounted rate of 5,800 for overnight with set meal and fountain show) to celebrate my parents wedding anniversary. We booked 2 Aqua Rooms for one night (each room is good for 2 adults and 2 kids below 11 - one king size bed in the room). It was a chance for family bonding, a relaxing stay and to experience a unique room.

Here's the review.
Pro's:
* The room is unique: The aqua room is a 30+ sqm room with the back wall as a huge aquarium. The aquarium is about waste to ceiling high with blue background, lighted top, man made coral and lots of fish. The aquarium spans more than one room, so the fish get to swim from one side to another side. It really surprised us the first time that the school of fish swam by. There are atleast 10-20 types of fish of various sizes, colors and shapes.
The aquarium was a great way just to relax and enjoy the ambiance of an aquarium that is 100x bigger than anything i've ever seen. If you are like me and have spent time sitting infront of your aquarium at home, you'll love this.
The kids really enjoyed the the aquarium and counting and watching the fish. (my kids are 4 and 7 yrs old).
* The bed was great. Big, soft and just under the aquarium where you could just lay there gazing at the fish.
* Location: The hotel is right beside and is part of Manila Ocean park, so its fun to stay and then spend the day in the oceanarium.
* Food was good. Not great, but good. The restaurants on the 2nd floor, but they do deliver to the rooms for an additional 30% of the food charge. (The siopao in room service was P80 or P90 but in the resaurant itself was just P60)
* Hot Rain shower! This was great way to relax.
* Cool aircon: always a plus in the Philippines (note though our aircon was shut off at 1am and we had to call the front desk 3 times for them to fix it, it was eventually fixed at about 1;30 after constant follow-up, but I did loose the continuity of sleep that I wanted)

Cons: There are more cons than pros, but most of these can be over looked for the "unique" experience
* Entrance: Similar to other posts, the entrance of the hotel was too far from the street. The hotel entrance is beside the oceanarium entrance so is about 200m from the street and about 400m from the nearest parking. There is a receiving area where they will pick up your bags for you, but its still far from the hotel itself.
* Cost: We got the promo, and i'm still not quite satisfied with what we paid for. And can't imagine paying the regular rate for the room. (promo advertized it as Pay 5800 instead of P14,830.oo http://www.ensogo.com.ph/manila/hotel-h20-aqua.html) Plus the regular bookings get buffet breakfast while the promo got set meals.
* Service: The front desk team were friendly as well as the porters. But for a hotel that is located within the ocean park itself, they lack service. You cannot book the oceanarium or any of the activities from the hotel itself, you had to go to the regular booking lines outside. This is an extreme hassle with trying to stay at the hotel and see the oceanarium at the same time.
Check in is at 2pm onwards. Considering a 30min to 1hrs to get to the room, you'll be in the room by 3pm.
The Oceanarium closes at 7-8pm. So if you choose to see the oceanarium during this time you'll only have a few hours to walk around (you'll feel rushed to see everything, especially if there are lots of people especially student tours in the park, it can get quite full)
The fountain show is at 7pm and is a must (regular rate of P300 for the show, P150 for kids) if not covered in your room.
Basically the fountain show is the only thing you can do on your first day there.
TIP: Be sure to buy the tickets for the shows early in the afternoon as the ticket office will open at 10am the next day, when the oceanarium opens.
There is a 9am sealion show but if you haven't bought your tickets the day ahead you can't watch it, as the ticket booth opens at 10am.

Cons: Quality of the room. It was spacious, but the quality just wasn't up to the standard that you expected for the price that you were paying. Noting especially the floor in the bathroom and the sinks that were leaky. The glass door on the shower area didn't close all the way, which left the floor outside wet after a good shower.

Summary:
The visit was worth it. The kids loved it, they enjoyed the stay, and it was a comfortable stay.
Will we stay there again, i heavily doubt it. Once was enough, one night was enough to enjoy the uniqueness of the place.

Room Tip: Get the room on promo rate if possible.
Shenzhen, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

The rooms although fairly small are comfortable. The staff was very pleasant and accommodating. Stayed 2 nights in a bay view room and really enjoyed being right on the water and watching the sunset. It's a bit out of the way but they have a little air conditioned area near the parking lot (about 100 meters from the hotel entrance) where they will get you a cab. It's not real convenient to walk anywhere from the hotel. All said I'd stay here again if in Manila for a few days.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Guangzhou, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

Stayed there one night only. When we arrived, we learnt that only with an upgrade the 'booked' kingsize bed would be available, so we had to accept this upgrade to a bayview room which was then ready after another 25 minutes waiting.

The whole facility is totally new (whereas the surrounding area is under construction) and rooms are pretty nice equipped with nice bath & bed and bayview.

The Spa service was really good and they do offer relaxing massage for reasonable prices in a nice facility as well.

For the ordered food to the room, we had to ask again the room service after 30 minutes regarding our order.

Overall a nice facility, but for sure with higher expectations on the service level for higher classified hotel there is still some way to improve on that part.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel H2O? Share your experiences!