“Great value in the heart of Manila” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Bocobo Hotel

You added Casa Bocobo Hotel to your Saves list
Casa Bocobo Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jorge Bocobo St. corner Kalaw Ave. | Ermita, Manila, Luzon 1000, Philippines (Ermita)   |
Ranked #12 of 105 Hotels in Manila
Portland, OR
“Great value in the heart of Manila”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

We booked this hotel based on TripAdvisor reviews and from a write up in the Lonely Planet Guidebook. Overall good value -- you can pay less at other nearby properties and you can also pay more, so what you are getting is pretty good value that is right in the middle of ultra cheap accommodations and luxury.

Location: Great. 10 minute walk to Robinson's Mall (plenty of stores and LOTS of food options) and a 5-minute walk to Rizal Park. A quick cab ride to Fort Santiago and Intramuros. At least 5 cheap massage places within a 5-minute walk (two offered one-hour massages for only 200 pesos) and two barbershops also a 5-minute walk away (100 pesos for a haircut! 100 pesos for a manicure!). Other restaurants just around the corner -- Café French Bakery, ChowKing, Chic-Boy, Max's, McDonalds.

Hotel: on our trip there were a lot of staff members in training. They always greeted us (we felt like we were on a cruise ship with everyone saying "Good morning ma'am") and it seemed like there was pretty good security. A big plus is WiFi available not just in the public area lobby, but extending to the room. Flat screen TV, decent channels. Beds and linens were fine. A/C blew cold air, shower was hot enough and good water pressure. Each room receives shower slippers to use during your stay, as well as bath towels and a small bar of soap and shampoo. Facilities were clean. Didn't hear noise from other rooms, but definitely heard the street scape -- honking, cars driving by, etc. No refrigerator. Enough plugs to recharge electronics. Bedside lamp, check. Our A/C unit wasn't completely sealed from outside elements, which probably explains the multiple mosquito bites I received at night. One mosquito can cause so much damage!! But I don't necessarily blame the hotel, it is the Philippines after all. I might consider bringing my mosquito net next time.

Food: Each guest receives a small breakfast each morning, with choices of a main dish, starch (rice or bread), egg (hard boiled, soft boiled, scrambled or fried) and a drink (coffee, tea or juice). It was ample enough, service was quick in the restaurant. You also get water which I assume is purified since I didn't get sick after I drank it. Didn't try the restaurant food for lunch or dinner.

Overall, a good stay of 3 nights. Area can get a little dodgy late at night (like after 11pm), but we felt safe enough. Another nice part is that when a cab is hailed, the front door man tells the driver where we wanted to go and then he wrote down the cab information, I assume to keep the cabbies honest (of which we had one that took the very long scenic way back to the hotel in order to pad his rate). Based on the location, spartan but functional room, decent breakfast and good service from staff, we definitely recommend the Casa Bocobo Hotel.

Other tip: Watch out for pickpockets, not just in markets!! A ten-year old, who I assumed was begging for money, stealthily unzipped my pant pocket and stole all of my money while I was waiting to cross the street. My guard was down for just a few moments, and that is all that it took. I was prepared for the markets, but not for innocently crossing the street in Ermita!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

stayed in november. the room itself is ok, above average but huge. only a small window and it gets kinda loud in the morning with cars honking (i assume the rooms NOT overlooking the road would be quieter). we reserved a king-sized bed and we walked into a room with 2 twins. the two porters promptly rearranged them so we could have a king-size.

good location. close to rizal park, intramuros, and robinsons place.

what really stands out is the awesome staff. they were very helpful and went out of their way to attend to all our needs. and they never made me feel icky by asking for tips, which can be a problem in the philippines sometimes (e.g. the taxi stand at the airport... grr!)

we checked in after midnight our first night and my bf was suffering some heat exhaustion. i went to the front desk and asked if their restaurant is open or if they have a vending machine so i could get us some bottled water. they said no and that our only option was the 7-11 a block away. my bf was sick in bed and i wasn't too excited about going out at 1am by myself. the front desk guy offered to send the porter to the store and get us some water. i was soooo grateful! i gave the kid P100 and he knocked on our door later with 2 large bottles of water, my change, and the receipt.

the porters are really good about hailing taxis for us AND making sure the drivers used their meter. manila taxi drivers are notoriously dodgy (especially to tourists/foreigners... i'm filipina, but with a white bf) and not having to fight with them over turning on their meter was a plus!

good people here!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Bacolod, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

This is probably one of the best hotel I've stayed..... I booked this hotel because of my medical at St. Lukes and it was pretty near about 1 or 2 minute walk, and 5 min walk to robinson's place..... At the corner or the building you can find McDonald's....
The hotel forgot to pick me up at the airport cause they got a different information about my pickup time..... but anyways, it really doesn't matter at all cause this hotel really pleased me..... Free Wifi, free breakfast and security.... The employees were really helpful and they greet you every time they will see you around... lol The breakfast was really good( you can pre order your breakfast a night before and they will prepare it any time you want) & wifi was actually fast..... I paid 1400 a night for a petite room..... It was clean and spacious for me..... Taxi cost 146 pesos from the hotel to airport and guess what, it is safe because a hotel personnel is the one who will help you get a taxi and taxi's info..... Everything here is absolutely okay...... I'll be back soon ;o)

Room Tip: I stayed in second floor and my room is clean and had a fast wifi connection.....
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Newtownards, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

I stayed for nearly a month at this hotel in Manila. It was well located, with local amenities (within 8min walk) incuding Robinsons Mall(huge), United Nations LRT, Rizal Park, 7/11(x2 convenience store), local and foreign food outlets, Live band/karioke bar/restaurant, Southern Cross Hotel(do stop in), travel agents, hair dresser, laundarette, home-bakery, etc etc. The sea=front was a 25minute walk down through Rizal Park onto the promenade. This is an extremely traffic congested city btw, mad drivers and crazy pedestrians, cycle-buggies nd motorcyclists!
The Hotel itself was clean, tidy and in good repair. I had a room on the ground floor at the front which i would advise people to avoid, it was very noisey with inadequate sound-proofing. Early morning traffic, late night construction, people passing all easily heard. I guess a lot of it was coming through the air-con unit which vented straight onto the street. The room was big but poorly laid out. Only light switch was at the door, a dark walk to the bed every night. The shower was huge with good power and plenty of hot water. The shower door was fitted on the wrong side and the water ran across the floor. A glass shelf was fitted above the sink rendering it almost unusable! The tv picture quality was poor and the sound even worse, no subtitles. There was no kettle available, I did ask, however they did supply a thermos but don't know what boiling water is! nor that you need a cup and spoon to go with it!
The restaurant was nice, efficient, tasty and reasonably priced. They just don't know how to serve a hot breakfast, eggs were always cool, same for the toast, rice, sausage etc.
The room was very well cleaned everyday, and even had mosquito spray when required.
They did not have any tourist brochures, maps, attraction leaflets or tour booking facilities. I asked if i could print my flight ticket but was told it was not possible! The foyer had a pc for free use, did the job ok.
The immediate area has locals sleeping on the streets and beggars everytime you walk, this is usual for this city, only once did i feel threatened when 3-4 crowded round. There is also plenty of street food available, look what the students go for - worth a try ;-)
All-in-all a good place to stay if you avoid the ground floor front rooms.

Room Tip: avoid the ground floor at the front of the building.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

I stayed for 2 nights in one of the standard single rooms.
Overall I would describe the style as "modern spartan".
The bed doubled up as a sofa during the day. The room had a small window overlooking an alley, there was a flat screen TV, free Wi-Fi, the bathroom was quite small but there was lots of hot water. The air conditioner was fairly new and the lighting was surprisingly good.

Everything was very clean and the room was nice to come back to at the end of a day of sight-seeing.
There seemed to be an army of cleaning staff on duty each morning who were extremely polite and helpful.
The hotel faces onto a fairly quiet one-way street. The adjoining restaurant is very convenient and the food is OK. They have a coffee deal of unlimited (?) fill-ups for 60 pesos which is highly recommended. There is a supermarket within a five minute walk if you would rather eat in your room.

A few things to be aware of:
1. There is no safe in the bedroom so you have to leave your passport and electronic gear with the staff at the front desk. They put it into a small storage room behind them. I'm sure it's secure but watching them trying to retrieve it can be tense as they try to find it amongst all the other stuff.
2. At times there may be only one person staffing the front desk, so be prepared for a wait when checking out or wanting information.
3. If you lose the room key, they will charge you 8000 pesos. I recommend you leave it with the front desk whenever you go out.
4. For whatever reason, they are very reluctant to change large bills (e.g. 500 or 1000 pesos notes) into smaller bills. It's too bad as it discourages tipping.
5. The young man on the front door did a great job of getting me a reliable and honest taxi driver to take me to the airport.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Perth Western Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

We stayed 4 nights in a Superior Twin room.
Good size room with small window, flat screen TV, good free Wi-Fi, hot shower, great air conditioner, good lighting, clean room and beds were comfortable.
Staff are very pleasant, efficient and theirs lots off them..!!
Location we thought was great, an easy walk to the UN LRT (Metro Rail), money changers everywhere close by and easy to get to where we wanted.
Breakfast was efficient, and a very good selection of what you could have.
The only thing we didn't like was our room was a fare way from reception/entry.
When back in Manila, we wouldn't hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Blytheville, Arkansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

This is my third or fourth stay here. The most positive thing is the staff. They are very friendly and helpful, restaurant is very good and reasonably priced. The room itself is acceptable. It is clean, but sparsely furnished. I am staying in a standard king, but wish now I had spent a little extra and got the deluxe, however, with that said, I am spending allot of time in my room. If you intend to be out allot, then the couch is probably not a big deal. The air blows very cold. Only real negative for me is there is NO TOP sheet on the bed. Only the bottom sheet and cover. I have asked about it, but am not sure they understand what I am asking. Anyway, definitely worth the price and I'd stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Casa Bocobo Hotel? Share your experiences!