“Clean and comfortable” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Bocobo Hotel

You added Casa Bocobo Hotel to your Saves list
Casa Bocobo Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jorge Bocobo St. corner Kalaw Ave. | Ermita, Manila, Luzon 1000, Philippines (Ermita)   |
Ranked #12 of 104 Hotels in Manila
Planet_Earth
“Clean and comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Casa Bocobo for three days in April. It was my first stay and her second. It really is a very clean and comfortable hotel for short stays in Manila. It is also a great value for your money. Breakfast is simple with lots of choices for both Western and Filipino guests. The location is also a plus. There is a park not far from the hotel if you want to take a nice walk. There is also a casino nearby if you get the urge to do some gambling.
Booking the hotel directly from their website was very easy. That is a huge plus for me as I travel a lot and calling around to try to book is a hassle. Casa Bocobo’s website is easy to navigate and very user friendly. The hotel accepted our credit card payment without any additional charges which some hotels in Manila like to charge.
The staff at the hotel is honestly amazing. They were super friendly and very helpful. They were very quick to help us with our luggage and got us checked into our room within ten minutes of arrival. I will be staying at Casa Bocobo again if I need to stay in Manila for more than one night.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Hong Kong, China
3,122 reviews 3,122 reviews
8,054 helpful votes 8,054 helpful votes
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

This was a second stay at Casa Bocobo Hotel and we found it to be as good as our past visit.

Pros
Reservation and Check-In: Made reservations online 24 hours before we stayed at Casa Bocobo Hotel, they responded to our reservation questions within 1 hour of our making contact with them. Check-in was quick, payment balance was settled upon arrival.

Staff: Like our past stay, it seems you are met with a hundred smiles from staff at Casa Bocobo Hotel. They have many staff watching the hallways for guests and at the front desk and Cafe Bocobo restaurant that operates on the ground floor of the hotel grounds. They are always very friendly, smiling and saying 'good morning'! We like that about Casa Bocobo Hotel!

Room: Our twin room was standard in size with closet and adequate storage, flat screen TV with cable channels and good speed wifi. Room quality was the same since our last stay here. A/C worked very well, cooling the room quickly after our entry, very important during the heat of the day.

Bed: We slept quite comfortably during our recent stay. The beds were soft but firm enough to support backs and still worked well for sleeping on your sides.

Bathroom: Standard fixtures with working toilet and shower. Shower pressure was fine and there was a steady stream of warm water.

Breakfast: Breakfast is no longer a buffet style arrangement. Instead you receive a meal order sheet, make your selections and give them to staff in the Bocobo Cafe. They will bring your meal selections shortly after. We both enjoyed our breakfasts. Bangus (milkfish) was smoked very well and the Longanisa was also pretty good.

Cons
No Safe: For rooms that cost US$50 per room, it is somewhat of an expectation of ours that they include an in room safe. Unfortunately, this is a noticeable shortcoming of Casa Bococo Hotel, something we wish they would address.

Location: While we don't mind the Malate neighbourhood, one can't help but notice that it seems more dilapidated as the years pass. This could be an issue for travellers who require nicer locations. If so, probably best to look at Makati based hotels. Others will have no qualms with the location of this hotel.

Overall, this was a second good stop at Casa Bocobo Hotel where the pros far outweighed the cons, making this a continued hotel of recommendation for those seeking to stay in the Malate hotel at a good value for money accommodation option.

On the basis of a second good stay at Casa Bocobo Hotel, I will probably stay here again when seeking a hotel in the Malate area.

Room Tip: Wifi is much stronger in the room than in the Cafe Bocobo dining area, a separate password is requir...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

this was my 1st stay in Manila and a 19 day trip.
so i booked just a few days to see how this casa really was. i was in a standard dbl twin room.
it was great - so i booked on longer. breakfast was great "garlic rice?" huh?
hey I had that garlic rice every day. :) i loved the stuff. and the sausage? yumm yumm
coffee? :D tea? and the juice? two thumbs up! for breakfast had a variety for each day.
those guys can cook eggs so great. and hot cakes? oh yeah. banana, berries
ok the french toast was done right in the tradition of stale bread [yup i know that's the way]
but i like it fresh and that was my only non repeat breakfast side

at the end of the trip the room type was booked full - so i upgraded to the dbl twin deluxe on the 3rd floor - yeah very nice. :D
fridge, coffee maker, mic wave, dvd player a couch - this was like a suite to me.
and yeah the street noise is loud - Rizal park is just across the street. the street is always alive with ppl - just get over it and enter the party. [ok i put in ear plugs and slept] lol
an elevator or a more direct walking route would be my suggestion - here we are in luxury and have to hike the length of the hotel on the 2nd floor to get out to breakfast or the street?
yeah there is room service and the staff were fantastic. but I wanna go out and taste the culture - enjoy the Philippine food, walk in Robinsons mall and be trampled by the herds of ppl that are everywhere! :O
holy cow there are so many ppl! and they all seem to know where they are going!?!

Oh Rizal park? that is just across the street and a close walk - go there and enjoy the light shows on the water - wow - free? yeah!
and little kids running everywhere having such a fun time. families together? picnics on blankets like it is the fifties in the old USA country town park. :) go enjoy it - day and night i went.
ok i am a bit taller than some there [6'6"] and ppl noticed me. but i fit in. lol

the lobby of the casa was nice too - Wifi worked fine everywhere I was. [yup im an email nerd]
gotta game and fb my buds - the casa WiFi worked fine. and yes in the suite was a plug in for a little better connection to surf and say hi to the ppl back home.

Room Tip: the guys there were the very best at room cleaning - the guys scrubbed the floors. the girl maids...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Cebu City, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed in this hotel barely 12hours only since i just had to stay overnight in Manila and comeback to Cebu the next morning after my trip from Singapore. Our travel agency in Cebu booked me on this hotel due to its competitive room rates and the most important thing for me, breakfast is included.

Overall, It was a pleasant surprise for me and i was not disappointed. The staff on my arrival are courteous, front desk is very fast to check in. Room is organized, no frills, room with good airconditioning, flat screen tv with cable , hot and cold shower. Breakfast offered are Filipino set breakfast (wc is my favorite). What surprise me the most was when i checked out, and about to hail taxi to the airport, one of their room staff was running towards me and asked if i was staying on the room he just checked, when i said yes, he handed to me a couple of bills (about a thousand peso) he said i forgot from the drawer. It was a real pleasant surprise to me that i wasnt able to react but said a simple 'thank you' to this guy. Well, i commend this hotel for having pleasant and honest staff. I will definitely comeback on my next trip to Manila and stay in this hotel and forget about staying in more expensive hotels in Manila with poor customer service.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Santa Monica, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

If you're looking for a hotel close by the US Embassy or St Luke's Medical Center this is not a bad choice.
St Luke's is about two blocks away 3-5 minutes walking time and they do line up around 5:00 am which there are several guards there.
If going to US Embassy for your 6:15am appointment you can leave the hotel by 5:00am and take a taxi there. It should cost about 47 paso for the ride. During the day you can walk back to the hotel which should take about 15 minutes.
The Robinson's mall is about a 10-15 minute walk from the hotel. Many shop and places to eat there.
As for the hotel, all rooms are on the second floor and have free wi-fi. We were lucky to be close to the modem and have full bars for our tablet and laptop.
There is an employee at the top of the stairs to assist you if needed.
As for the rooms As for the rooms, we had a king size bed with the mattresses turn sideways which the edge was right in the middle of my back. We had to sleep sideways in the bed.
with no mini bar we bought a cheap ice chest to hold our beer and soda, which we left there.
The bathroom (CR) was clean and had a drawer for our supplies. The shower had plenty of hot water and had room inside.
The toilet had a bigot to use if needed.
In the morning you get a free breakfast served after 6:00 am to 10: 00 am. The service was slow and asking for a second cup of coffee took for ever. If you have an early appointment don't waste your money by buying a breakfast to go, not worth it.
NOTE: there is a con man that hangs out there and will follow you to the mall and try to get money from you, call security right away. This guy will walk into the hotel and restaurant and greet you, pure set up.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

Good location. Close to Intramuros, Rizal Park, and Fort Santiago. Close to many restaurants and stores.
Fairly safe location (as far as Ermita goes).
Nice small, clean rooms with great air conditioning.
Decent restaurant with room service and drinks.

The only problem I had was getting an airport shuttle. Their website says they have one for about $16 US, but the front desk was not able to help me at all. I did end up getting an airport ride, but it was one of the outside employees that set it up for us (for $25).

All in all, it was a good place to stay and we are likely to stay there the next time we are in Manila.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I've stayed at Casa Bocobo Hotel my last 2 visits to Manila, and each time I am more impressed with it. The an older building it is immaculate. It is extremely conveniently located Close embassies, Jose Rizal Park, and shopping. As, for the staff, they could match or exceed the politeness and efficiency of any 5 star hotel. All this and more at a bargain price. Definitely " my home" and choice to stay, in Manila. My personal thank you to every staff member!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Casa Bocobo Hotel? Share your experiences!