“Fabulous for a budget hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Bocobo Hotel

Save Saved
You added Casa Bocobo Hotel to your Saves list
Casa Bocobo Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jorge Bocobo St. corner Kalaw Ave. | Ermita, Manila, Luzon 1000, Philippines (Ermita)   |
Ranked #12 of 103 Hotels in Manila
Helsinki
“Fabulous for a budget hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

We just spent over a week in Manila, had to change travel plans because of flu. This budget hotel made the long stay really easy and comfortable.
We have stayed in two other hotels in Ermita before, both on Mabini street. Mabini Pension was a run down, smelly cheapo with very little service, Gran Prix was an ok place but the rooms feel like cells and there is no wifi other than in the lobby (and their breakfast is a bit poor).
Casa Bocobo was definitely much more value for money, and the attitude and service of the staff made the simple hotel feel nice.
The room was faultlessly cleaned every day (another reviewer commented here that they don't offer room cleaning - well they do, every morning). We first had a room to the noisier street, but the front desk changed us to the quieter side on the second day when we asked. There was still some karaoke noise from other places, but with ear plugs it was ok.
The breakfast is good, with lots of choices, each morning different. You can also ask for eggs and toast, if you like. Wifi worked ok in the room. During our stay they once had a problem with water not running and once with the internet connection, but these did not last long, the staff informed us of them and we felt they were solving them efficiently.
We asked and got a discount for a long stay, first a small discount for a 3 night and then a little bigger for a week. This was by far the best budget hotel in its price range we could find in Ermita, and we looked into many before we chose it. We recommend it totally - it is simple but extremely well taken care of.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
415AD, Officer-in-Charge at Casa Bocobo Hotel, responded to this review, January 18, 2012
Greetings from Casa Bocobo Hotel!

Please allow us to take the opportunity to thank you for taking the time in sharing the details of your stay.

We understand that you met certain difficulties during your stay. Kindly note that we are in the process of taking a closer look on the facility issues mentioned to prevent recurrence and we can assure you that we will use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests.

Nevertheless, it is a delight that you found your stay with us “really easy and comfortable”.

Please do advise us of your return date, we will be more than glad to welcome you again and assist you with your needs.

Your Casa Bocobo Family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

I stayed at CBH for a week in November 2011, then I came back for a weekend in December 2011. CBH is located in a safe and relatively quiet neighborhood in Ermita, just south of Rizal Park. It is located within walking distance of the Robinson Mall (came in handy often), several great museums and restaurants, and one of very few green spots in the city, the Luneta. Its hard to decide what the best thing about CBH was, but by far the most special part of my stay was the people. The front desk staff bent over backwards to be helpful, especially when I really needed it (salamat Miguel at Reymel!) -- eg, when United lost my luggage, I needed to get to Tarlac by bus on short notice, I spilled cough syrup on the bed, or Continental screwed up my return flights. But everyone on the staff, including housekeeping, security, and the restaurant, always gave me a warm greeting and went out of their way to make me feel like the most important guy in the world. Two other things I will mention are the new wing, and the restaurant. On my return visit they had just opened a wing with beautiful new rooms. Soaking tub, kitchenette, fridge, modern furnishings, all brand new, spacious, and very comfortable, for a reasonable price. Ah, the restaurant. First, unlike every other hotel "free breakfast" I have had, the buffet that comes with the room stay is fantastic -- sort of an advertisement to eat in the restaurant during the day. I especially loved the Thai fish soup and the sweet and sour fish in the buffet, and the smoked bangus fish and omelettes from the menu. Why drag all over town for a meal when you can eat well for a very low price in the hotel? I wish someone had told me that earlier! All in all, Manila can be intimidating even for an experienced traveler, but staying at Casa Bocobo really made it easy. Maraming Salamat!

Room Tip: Large variety of rooms available - be sure to look at several at all price points!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
415AD, Officer-in-Charge at Casa Bocobo Hotel, responded to this review, January 16, 2012
Greetings from Casa Bocobo Hotel!

Thank you for the time taken to post your experiences at Casa Bocobo. Your kind words and appreciation have been shared with everyone especially Miguel and Reymel.

It is heart warming to know that you have particularly enjoyed the newly built expansion rooms. Our family from Cafe Bocobo would like to extend their thanks and appreciation for the generous words you have for them.

It is with this that everyone in the family continually strive to further enhance the products and services.

See you again soon.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

I chose Casa Bocobo for my four-day stay in Manila because I wanted to be within walking distance of the main historical sites and it was among the better-reviewed establishments in the Ermita/Malate area. As other reviews collectively indicate, the hotel is a mixed bag so it depends on the purpose for your your trip. The hotel has no qualms about marketing itself as a budget hotel with good service, so it's best to understand what expectations you should have for their price range.

Pros:
- Within walking to distance to main historical sites so you can avoid the headache of dealing with cab drivers (though the Ermita/Malate district is not very friendly or comfortable for tourists)
- Free WiFi and it worked just fine during my stay
- Free breakfast, which was convenient and decent enough; the buffet is probably heavier than what Western tourists are accustomed to for breakfast, but they have made-to-order dishes as well

Cons:
- Very noisy in guest rooms. The hotel has only two floors so all rooms are close to ground level. I was originally assigned a street-facing room. The window pane was an old one that allowed all the noise and draft from the street to stream through. I'm from boisterous New York City and it was still unbearable with earplugs. I appreciated that the staff gladly moved me to a rear-facing room the next day. It was certainly quieter (and equipped with a proper window) but still didn't escape the karaoke music that other reviews consistently mention.

Mixed:
- Generally clean for a budget hotel, but linens had stains and the bathroom still had detergent residue. The towels and bed sheets were definitely freshly laundered, but the hotel continues to use linens that were previously stained instead of discarding them. The bathroom was definitely washed down, but the maids probably do it in haste since there was always a new film of grimy detergent residue on the shower door and fixtures each day.
- There are safety deposit boxes but not inside your room. Instead, they're on the first floor and the hotel manager has to assist you each time you access it. This could be assuring for some, but troublesome for others. I did not ultimately use the boxes but my property remained untouched in my room whenever I was away.
- Friendly and well-intentioned staff, but they had a few a minor missteps--they weren't responsive to e-mails before my arrival asking for a private car from the airport, and they missed the wake up call that I scheduled for the morning I had to fly out early. As with a lot of commercial places in Manila, there were more staff members than seemed necessary; this helped with security but they usually can't assist you directly and must call someone else over if you have any questions or requests. (A simple question about availability of bottled water required them to page a supervisor, who then asked me to go downstairs to inquire with the general manager at the front desk). These were not big issues to me since their attitude was consistently positive, but others might grow impatient under similar circumstances.
- I didn't see an elevator. Perhaps it was in another part of the building(?)

Overall, Casa Bocobo delivered what it was supposed to for its rate. Ermita/Malate is not the most friendly or comfortable district for tourists, but if you choose to stay there, then Casa Bocobo is probably among the best options to consider. Even chain hotels in the area did not appear to be as clean or well-serviced.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
415AD, Officer-in-Charge at Casa Bocobo Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2012
Greetings from Casa Bocobo Hotel!

Thank you for the time and effort you exerted to detail your experience with Casa Bocobo Hotel. It is a pleasure reading through your points and your constructive criticism are well noted and are very well looked into.

As a budget hotel, we constantly strive to excel in providing guests their basic needs and a little more. It is most especially gratifying to read from your review that we have met that in some ways. It gives everyone a boost of energy to excel further.

Nevertheless, we are gratified that you found your stay pleasurable. We highly appreciate and value the kind words. This will surely be shared to everyone in the family. Rest assured that we shall continue to improve ourselves to be of better service to you.

Please contact us should you need further assistance on your next stay here in Manila and we will be more than glad to help.

Makati, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

The hotel is well located and has a McD's, 7 Eleven and a pharmacy all a short walk away. The staff are friendly and helpful and it seems to be very well managed. We had a small room with the bed at a funny angle but the room was clean and modern with a great line up on the TV and a clean small bathroom.
My only problem with the hotel is the noise outside which in a city like Manila with all the car horn honking and karaoke can't be avoided without secondarily glazing. The other noise was from the corridor as the doors have small gaps at the bottom and the corridor echos every person walking and every door closing, this could be solved with some carpet in this area or even some rugs and a few pieces of furniture to absorb the sound.
I would say if your a light sleeper avoid if not go for it you won't find anywhere so clean and well run for the price.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Greetings from Casa Bocobo Hotel!

Thank you for sharing your experience with us during your stay.

We have taken note of your insights as they are of high value to us. We will do all that we can in finding ways to improve satisfaction for all our guests. Rest assured, we are in the process of taking a closer look on the facility issues mentioned to prevent recurrence.

Nevertheless, we are gratified that you found your stay pleasurable. We look forward to welcoming you again on your next stay.

Cebu City, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

Booked through www.asiatravel.com. Paid PHP 2,200- per night total including breakfast.
Breakfast is good for a Filipino, but with few or no western choices. Fairly new hotel.
Clean, safe and fresh with friendly smiling staff. 2 free internet stations in lobby.
Nice room with small window. Not disable friendly due to stairs.
10 meters from Mc Donald's corner Bocobo St. and Rizal Park. Same distance to
the corner U.N. Nations St./Bocobo St. which is an easier drop off point by taxi.
(Bocobo St. is a one-way street going north to south.) Close to Intramuros, SuperFerry
Terminal, Ocean Park. Nearest mall is Robinson Place followed by Mall of Asia.
The hotel needs to put up more art work on the walls upstairs in hallways and rooms as
it is pretty spartan looking at the moment. Very poorly lit sidewalk between hotel and Mc
Donald's.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011 via mobile

Nice and clean but no windows so you can't tell anything about the weather without going outside the hotel. the front desk is vey friendly but can't help you with most problems. I wanted to know about the Superferry, so they told me to go online. The printer didn't work for two days. No brochures or travel info posted anywhere in the hotel. It was safe but my card key never worked. They only cleaned the room if you were gone all day. only recommend for safety and price and cleanliness.

• Stayed December 2011
Birmingham, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

This hotel is located right near Rizal park. The rooms are very clean and of a good size. The staff are all very friendly and welcoming. The LCD TV in the room had an excellent choice of English television channels on.

The only thing that let this hotel down was the poor laundry service. I had to make several phone calls to the front desk and was always told that they would ring me straight back to inquire with the house keeping team how long it would take for my laundry to be returned. I was told several times that they would ring me back but they never did and I had to keep on calling them only to be told the same thing.

It had taken over 36 hours+ for my laundry to be returned to me. It would have been quicker for me to have gone to one of the nearby laundrette to have got it done myself. Hopefully this is something that the hotel can improve on.

Although breakfast is included in the price, the selection is poor for Western standards. I therefore skipped the breakfast on the 2nd and 3rd morning of my stay.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Been to Casa Bocobo Hotel? Share your experiences!