“Terrible!! Pew!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Copacabana Apartment - Hotel

You added Copacabana Apartment - Hotel to your Saves list
Copacabana Apartment - Hotel
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   264 EDSA Extension, Manila, Luzon 1300, Philippines   |
Ranked #9 of 59 Specialty Lodging in Manila
Durham, United Kingdom
“Terrible!! Pew!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

After spending too much time browsing online looking for a place to stay in manila before flying back to the UK, me and my husband decided to stay in this hotel against all the negative reviews we have read on here, plus it is cheaper and closer to the airport. The room the gave us was ok and looks clean but smells of cigarette and was right above the very very busy road of edsa. So we phoned the reception and asked them if they can give us another room, at least one not facing the road. They've told us that they have but its plus 40% of the price we've paid for our room which i think is ridiculous considering that we will only stay there for few hours. So we dicided not to transfer rooms and just try our luck hoping we would be able to catch few hours of sleep before our flight. But the noise down the road just keep us awake all night. We phoned them and ask for some earplugs but they dont have any. So we made improvised earplugs out of tissue papers. What a terrible terrible experience!! If anyone reading this, do yourself a BIG favour, DO NOT stay in this hotel! Lift is not working properly as well. There was some repair going on when we were there so one lift was working for the whole building consisting of 11 or 12 floors????

Room Tip: Believe on what you read on reviews. It always help you choosing the right place to stay. Dont be fo...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

Copacabana is a very old hotel and I chose this hotel because I was attending a convention in Manila for a week with a tight budget. This hotel is in Pasay and is very near to Mall of Asia and SMX Convention Center. However, it is not going to be a fun walk so you will still have to take a taxi. The mattresses are bad - no lumbar support and gave me a terrible backache every morning. But since the rooms were cheap, I did not expect fantastic rooms anyway.

Checking-in at the reception was a good experience as the Front Desk allowed me to check in at 7am as I arrived really early in Manila. I am thankful that they allowed me to check in so early without any extra surcharges so that I can catch up with my sleep after a red-eye flight. This hotel is very near the airport.

If you do not have budget constraints, I would advise you to choose Makati Greenbelt areas because Pasay is quite chaotic and messy....

Room Tip: Ask for a non-smoking room as my room was so full of smoke and my clothes stunk like hell for the wh...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Manila
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

My friend needed a place to stay before flying back to the UK. We figured this was our best bet for a place close to the airport because other hotels were double the price, even though they weren’t as seedy. But we were kind of on a tight budget so we went with seedy.

My first thoughts upon entering this hotel were: “that metal parking barrier is high..woops (my friend & I both tripped on it)…haunted..?....hookers…who stays here?” I asked the bellhop how old the hotel was. He said something like 38 years, and it looked like it hadn’t been cleaned since. For what it's worth, it was probably the pollution from the busy road (Edsa) that mostly left the hotel looking pretty grimy & rundown. Our room was on the top floor (11th) & we had to take the stairs from the 10th to the 11th floor. The hallway was kinda creepy.

As it turns out, they did spend money on renovating the hotel’s *rooms*, or at least the room that we got was surprisingly spacious & had a sort of modern-ish red-n-black bachelor’s pad décor (I think someone uploaded a photo of it on here) with polished wood parquet flooring. The room was also surprisingly clean & surprisingly enough, I didn’t find any rats/mice scuffling around. The TV was small (which was OK, at least there was cable) & there was a small fridge. The bed was also big (king size?) & the bathroom was clean. I couldn’t sleep too well at first because I kept thinking the room was haunted. It wasn’t, I think, or the ghosts of the 70's decided to leave us alone (thanks). There was a very wide mirror on the wall facing the bed.

It wasn’t necessarily a bad thing, but there was 1 weird thing about the room: the bathroom basin was *in* the room, not the bathroom, & sat right below the wide mirror. I figured this was for hookers wanting to use mouthwash immediately after…nevermind.

The aircon took a while to cool the room because it was 1 of those manual aircons & the room was big. That was fine. Checkout took a while (maybe 15, 20 minutes). All in all, our stay here was AOK. They also allowed us to print our Agoda voucher for free. No free internet and breakfast though. Next time a friend comes to visit & we need a budget place to stay for the night, we'll probably just get a motel.

Room Tip: On our way out we passed 1 of the rooms & some people left their door ajar while packing their s...
Cebu City, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

We stayed at Copacabana from May 16-20, 2012. The hotel is a nice quality apartel and our room was really big. It not only had one room with a bed and nice bathroom, but also a separate living room/kitchenette. Therefore, we had ample space and it would be perfect if we we planned to stay for a week or longer because we could cook and eat in if we chose to.

LOCATION: The location is very close to the airport and EDSA street, so it can be a little bit loud from all the honking and sometimes hearing the planes nearby. It is located close to the SM Mall of Asia, which has many stores, movies and a lot of little restaurants and bars on the seaside. It's also across the street from "The Firehouse". Even though it's close to this place, I didn't notice a lot of girls of the night roaming in. (don't worry, I felt safe here). Within walking distance, are a few gas stations, 7/11, and a couple restaurants, but mostly you will have to take a taxi to most places you go.

PROS: Big, nice and clean rooms. They appeared newly renovated. Location to airport and SM Mall of Asia. The hotel has a decent pool on the 2nd floor.

CONS: They don't have free internet or a breakfast buffett. You have to buy an internet card for an hourly rate or for 24 hours in a row. 24 hours costs 500Pesos. Breakfast is around 200-300pesos.

OVERALL: I would stay here again because the location is close to the airport, but I'm huge on free internet, so if I was to look for a similar hotel, then I would try to find one with that first.

Eindhoven, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

Manila traffic is terrible. When you want to be close to the airport this is a cheap and clean hotel. We were with 6 adults and 2 children. We had a large appartment on the first floor. Very convenient.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

If you have limited time to get to airport, this is a good location, as traffic in Manila sometimes stretches to an enormous extend, and having your hotel near the airport can save you a lot of time and nerves. Staff is very nice and kind, trying to assist you in any way they can.
Hotel (as every other establishment in Manila) has a 24/7 security personnel, and it is safe and welcome. Rooms are spacious, and fairly clean.

It is also near the huge shopping mall, Mall of Asia, and Taft subway station, not to mention the infamous EDSA entertainment complex right across the street from the hotel.

As for the drawbacks, I have to say, that for its standards, and compared to other Asian distractions, this place is bit overpriced. They are trying to earn extra penny from everything extra. Tips are always expected. Located on the busy avenue, it is also quite noisy for a sensitive sleepers. Elevators, though functional are outdated, and "shaky".

Overall it's a good stay for young people, who don't mind some little inconvenience, but prefer good location and cheerful people.

Room Tip: If you are staying on the top (11th) floor, note, that lifts are available only up to 10th. Then you...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

Pretty near the airport and Mall of Asia. Room is clean, basic and hot shower works like a dream. Air con is ancient; it works albeit noisy. There is only one F&B outlet. The staff is pretty attentive, except for the reception who checked me in who had a dour look because she could not get their credit card machine to work on my credit cards.
Food was decent but there was a hair in the soup i ordered on my second day.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Been to Copacabana Apartment - Hotel? Share your experiences!