“Stayed here many times over 25 years” 4 of 5 stars

Tropicana Apartment Hotel
1630 L.M. Guerrero St., Manila, Luzon 1004, Philippines (Malate)   |
Ranked #13 of 105 Hotels in Manila
Newcastle, Australia
“Stayed here many times over 25 years”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

We stayed in the one bedroom suite, was very nice. You can see a lot of the rooms are being renovated. Have stayed here for about the 10th time, short walk to all that you need - shops, massages, taxis can be called to the front door of the hotel. I don't recall seeing the pool sign previously that outlines only hotel guests are able to use the pool facilities, not sure if that meant visitors of guests are not able to swim.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Palo Alto, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I have walked by the Tropicana many time over the years but never stayed there. Recommendations from collogues convinced me to stay. I couldn’t have been happier. Yes some of the rooms need some work but they are refurbishing rooms one floor at a time. I was not so concerned the room was old but enjoyed that it was clean, spacious and the bed was confortable. The air conditioner was quiet and didn’t blow directly on the bed as many hotel air conditioners do. The breakfast was good; there are six choices, three European and three local breakfasts. Simple but a good way to start the day. The staff is great and even the manager took me to a place I could get a good haircut for seventy pisos ($1.60 US). Sorry my US hair stylist that now wants $60.00. Tropicana kept my extra luggage while I was away working in Tacloban for 10 pisos per day. What a wonderful help that was. Yes the Wi-Fi is slow but they are working on the problem and seem to solve some of it while I was there. Yes Mac’s and their Wi-Fi don’t seem to like each other.
I spent New Years Eve enjoying a dinner with newfound friends, on the ninth floor patio, that I met at the hotel and was also invited to have lunch with a family from Saudi Arabia. This had never happen to me at any other hotel. The best part is that the hotel is located on a side street away from traffic and the noise. But close to Robinson and right next door to Mr. Poon a wonderful inexpensive place to eat.

Room Tip: Yes I was on the 9th floor but I didn't mind the climb from the 8th to the 9th floor. Good exer...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Hamilton Island, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

Coming to the Philippines every year for holidays we always stay at the Tropicana a few days before going further afield and then for a week or so before we leave To go home
We stayed in March this year and we're very impressed as they gave us an apartment on the newly renovated seventh floor,wow what an improvement,new flat TV,s in lounge and bedroom new split air cons ,all new microwaves and kitchen gadgets.All in all a very big improvement.
They were doing the sixth floor up and there was a slight noise from a drill but only for very short minute or so. As usual the staff are super friendly and helpful.Thank you again To Linda and staff

Room Tip: Try the new renovated rooms I was very happy with these
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

A return visit as we were last here in October 2012.

Not much has changed. It is a good functional hotel. We stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment with a kitchen area, a dining table, a sitting area, two balconies and two bathrooms with showers.

No real negatives - it is an old building but the rooms are kept clean and in good shape. The air conditioners were fine. The showers wee also fine.

There is a good swimming pool.

It is only five minutes walk to Robinsons with all the shops and food outlets.

It is a very busy area with many colleges and universities alongside the business areas.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

For a short-term stay on a budget, or a long-term stay on a budget, the Tropicana Apartment Hotel in Manila's faded but well-located Ermita/Malate district may be the place for you -- if you don't mind a drab environment, albeit one with a very comfortable bed, spacious suite, and excellent service.

For some, the Ermita/Malate area has its charms -- and I'm not immune to the vibrant environs myself, but sadly the district has faded noticeably in recent years, despite the high-rise apartment buildings and Robinson's Mall. Yet, for many, it's an antidote to the artificial Stepford Wives quality of Makati and its glittering shopping arcades.

Tropicana reflects Ermita/Malate's current state of faded glory -- not that Tropicana itself was ever glorious. It's an apartment hotel with spacious one- and two-bedroom suites (living area, dining area, kitchen, bedroom/s) which compensates in size what it lacks in charm. The furnishings are serviceable, no more -- although the bed in my room was admittedly comfortable. The kitchen area is very decent if you like to cook or just want to have the choice of fixing your own breakfast (a preferable choice to the not-so-great breakfast fare at the hotel itself). The bathroom is okay-ish too. There's free wireless for your Internet connectivity, but the coupons have four hours of useage and must be activated within a few hours of your receiving them. The laundry service is excellent -- my shirts were beautifully done.

One major disadvantage is that except for the bedroom, the rest of the suite does NOT have air-conditioning, nor does it have ceiling fans. You could ask for a floor fan for the living room, but that's not really ideal. The air-conditioner in my room was a wall unit that made quite a sound when the thermostat (or whatever you call that thingummyjig) kicked in.

What bugged me a bit were the plethora of ants that scampered around the kitchen countertops. I guess I could have complained about them and asked Housekeeping to call in the pest control folks, but I hated to bother the staff who were unfailingly sweet and helpful. The front desk managers were excellent, the housekeeping staff were meticulous in responding promptly to requests for adapters and such, and they even helped me with currency exchange at a decent rate.

I was in Manila for a long-term stay of a few months, and I thought I'd give the Tropicana a chance given it was so reasonably priced, but I opted after a week to move into the much grander Manila Hotel -- almost twice the price -- for a few weeks of indulgence before finding something that was a happy medium between the two. Strangely, I felt a bit sad leaving the Tropicana despite my own choice to move out of there -- as I got a bit used to it over the space of several days. I wouldn't hesitate in recommending this place for those who want a decent roof over their heads along with a good bed to sleep in. The location is great, and the staff are wonderful.

Still......

Room Tip: Get a high floor facing Guerrero Street, but not the top (9th) floor -- you have to climb from the 8...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

I stayed here on the last part of my trip in the Philippines (Nov-Dec). I've previously stayed here 5 and 8 years ago and would still recommend it to people. It's not even a 5 minute walk to Robinsons Mall and a 5-10 minute walk to the MRT. It is central to everything and easy to get to.
I stayed in the 2 bedroom apartment and it was quite spacious and clean with a lot of room to move around. There was a large dining table, kitchen and fridge which came in handy when we had family stay for dinner or dropped in unexpectedly for lunch. The rooms were also quite large with air-conditioning which made the stay more relaxing. There isn't any air-conditioning in the lounge/dining room but since I stayed in late november it would cool down in the evenings, but if you leave the bedroom doors open it cools the all the rooms down. The gym is small but it has everything you would need for a quick workout. The only negative i had was that the WIFI wasn't as strong on the forth floor and i had to go to the lobby a few times to use it, but after talking with the helpful ladies at reception i found out the WIFI didn't work properly with apple products (made sense as a few other guests with iphones & ipads had the same problem) Overall my stay here has been positive and great! It's not flashy but for the price you pay it is fantastic in value, service and location! Would stay here again in Manila!

Room Tip: If you are using an Iphone or Ipad the WIFI is not as strong on your device. If you have a samsung o...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

We are family of 5 we stayed here last Oct for 16 day's got pick By Joel, Thanks very much Joel!!
My hubby and I travelled extensively with his kind of work and this is not his usual accommodation. He left it to me and making decision as it is our first family holiday in the Phil.. Tropicana was also recommended to me by a friend.. Our room was huge and cleaned everyday..We are very happy and pleased with all the staff, very friendly and helpful when needed.. Keep up the good work Dana.. into Joel his always their when needed thank you so much.. We will comeback.. I highly recommended this apartment to anyone, it maybe old but it's cleaned and well kept, closed to dentist, beauty * hair salon hospital,shopping centre for shopaholic,walking distance to the park, and for health conscious like myself the manila bay is walking distance to take your walk everymorning but if you a gym Tropicana have got one and also Sauna it is also central to everything..The only my hubby didn't like is settling the bills before your check out.. We have stayed in 5 star resort and we always know we pay upon check out.. But nevertheless everything is great!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Been to Tropicana Apartment Hotel? Share your experiences!