“Almost below average for a Beautiful Island get away” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Le Meridien Barbarons

Save Saved
You added Le Meridien Barbarons to your Saves list
Le Meridien Barbarons
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   P.O. Box 626 | may be temp closed for renovations, Victoria, Mahe Island, Seychelles   |
Ranked #2 of 4 hotels in Victoria
Beckley, West Virginia
“Almost below average for a Beautiful Island get away”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Not a perfect location for a family. The rooms were really nice and spacious. We actually walked up the road at the local market and brought water and snacks in despite the admonition not to. The food was decent, but variety there is NOT. And what food there is was EXPENSIVE! The buffet proved to be about $50 per person, regardless of age; totally not worth it. There is the 2nd place within the compound, but still pricey! Renting a car would have been the best choice which we did for one day and easily drove a lot of the island without issue. There really is no entertainment to speak of... Pool and ocean. Small beach which is nice if the sea is calm. At this time of year that was questionable every day what the sea would be like. The pool is two section of 4ft and 8ft.; hard to play in for smaller child. It's an island and staff are from there. They seem to be fine with mediocre service for representing their country. Life is slow.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
LMBarbarons, Management at Le Meridien Barbarons, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear NurseMama25,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us at Le Meridien Barbarons.

We genuinely value our guest's comments and regret when their expectations are not met, I invite you to personally discuss with a member of our team by writing to guest.service@lemeridien.com

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

598 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Jaipur
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Was here for my honeymoon and enjoyed my stay . The room was very nice and I really enjoyed the island and the whole feel of the place . Food like any meridien hotel was good and so was the service. The best thing to do is to hire a car and drive around

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
LMBarbarons, Management at Le Meridien Barbarons, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Dear Avi_Singh,

I am delighted to read of your wonderful experience and thank you for choosing our resort for your special celebration, it was indeed our pleasure to have you in our care.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

New Delhi, India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

All you need in a vacation is a hotel which welcomes you warmly & treats you so. The hotel has the worst set of people on the front desk who will be least bothered while you check in. The least they can do is to make you feel comfortable & give you a place to sit. If you happen to check in on a day when there are 8-10 people arriving at the same time you'll have a tough time. There is no bell boy to take your luggage, the man sitting on reception (who is a new recruit trainee ) does it.The room was not ready when we entered, there were mosquitoes, curtain was not closing, no water in the room we need to call them to tell that we are thirty the least you can do is keep water. Check in takes so long that we end up not eating our buffet dinner because it is till 10 & who will consider that the staff took 1 hour in giving us a tidy room & the best they do is give a complimentary dinner on last day. A bad start with lot of thrashing from our side to the staff & millions of sorry from staff & management. Since then they were on their toes but is this what one expects from Le meridian stature hotel?

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Suhani_7,

We genuinely value our guest's comments and regret when their expectations are not met, please allow me to personally follow up on these important issues by contacting us on guest.service@lemeridien.com

Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

The first thing that strikes me at this hotel is how mean (UK meaning) they are. You're told first thing in your room that the two complementary bottles of water are all you're getting, and you're not allowed to bring your own in. (so the customer is not always right here!) Guess what, no hotel tells me what I can and can't do - don't jump from the second story I can understand, but shut up on what I can and can't drink! The beach is a bit small. The pool is great but the jacuzzi needs cleaning. The service in the restaurant is way too slow. Now for the best bit- we had a pair of shoes stolen from our room. I guess we locked all the good stuff away, so they had to make do with some second-hand shoes. Pathetic!

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Kapweeng,

I regret to read of the many issues encountered during your stay and regret not having the opportunity to have met with you and help resolve some of the issues raised. Please allow me to follow up on this important issue by contacting us on guest.service@lemeridien.com

We hope to have the opportunity to welcoming you back and ensuring a pleasant Le Meridien discovery.

Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Contrary to the critics, I found the Le Meridien to be a quite pleasant establishment and I was very relaxed enjoying the tucked away feel the resort plays host to.

Was the resort perfect? No, but rare is the hotel that is. I'm always sympathetic to those that frequent a resort like this because a substantial amount of disposable income is on the line or there is a lot of emotional expectation attached. I'd say there were a fair number of honeymoon types during my stay. I'll never fault them for wanting the best and grinding their teeth when something long planned falls some measure of short.

To be fair this hotel is remote and somewhat removed from the beaten path. Miami or Paris this is not and perhaps because of that the standards one should demand of a mainland Le Meridien have to be bit more flexible here.

Pros.
The room was spacious. Yes, it was cool because the air conditioning was running. I like to sleep cold so that didn't bother me much. Then again it's temperate and humid out most of the time so I think the battle with humidity in the rooms won't end. I was a solo traveler, so the open floor plan with bath tub + sort of rain forest shower head didn't jolt my sensibilities at all. Wouldn't see how that type of design would much bother an amorous couple, but I could see the lack of privacy afforded to be an issue in a number of other occupancy scenarios. Otherwise, the room was very spacious. Granted, the weather was spot on so I wasn't in my room much. Still, there is a nice fridge to keep things cool. Things mean the beer you buy at the stores nearby to the hotel will be nice and cool for a nightcap on the porch. The cost of drinks at the hotel, is well, stiff.

The layout of the resort is logical and open. The pool is well situated for all guests. The beach while not overly majestic (there is a better one about 5 mins walk down the path behind the dive shop) does captivate in its own simple way. Swimming is said to be a bit dicey due to wave and tide turbulence, though there is a protected area at the corner of the hotel's beach because of some rocks that form a good barrier. At night though it was very pleasant to stare out into the darkness and take in the ambience of being a long way from home or anything for that matter.

The free wifi in the lodge/common area worked well at all times. I didn't even contemplate paying for the in-room wifi. The pleasant breeze of the mostly open lobby was reason enough to hang out and get out of my room when going online.

Pool staff were very cheerful and helpful with giving me directions to the nearby beach that many guest walk to. Hulda was on duty at the pool cabana and she was just fantastic.

Very quiet in the evening. While I was not at the hotel on a weekend, by the time I sauntered back from the buffet dinner around 10pm, the resort was very quiet. Judging by the guests I would say the hotel does not attract a boisterous crowd.

Another pro is the proximity of some shops that are just past the hotel gate. There you will find plenty of cheap snacks and drinks (alcoholic or otherwise) to bring to your room and thus dodge the sky high food bills of the resort a bit. Plus, it's nice to bring some picnic food when staking out the nearby beach.

Cons.....

Yes, the property does show it's age in places
Example: electrical plugs in the room are not well placed for charging devices. Even ironing required hunting around for an outlet. From a Le Meridien I'd expect some more tech savvy/user friendly interface in the room. An alarm clock with bluetooth connection for enjoying some in-room tunes from the Ipad/smartphone would be thoughtful too.

The light switches in the room look and feel cheap. Like youth hostel grade. No offense meant to youth hostels.

Okay, now onto a pet peeve, the single bar of soap included in the room was tiny. Sure, there are far too many hotels that waste soap, but for the price point a nice size of soap is in the order. I could see an eco-friendly portion if the bath/shower had a dispenser of bath gel, but that was not the case.

Food pricing is very high. I'm sympathetic to a generous point because resort pricing is a bit irrational and one is in the middle of the ocean, but $40 USD for an uninspiring buffet dinner was too much. The service was decent but not attentive. I could go into specifics but the pasta bar was bland and uninspired.

Front desk service was courteous but sort of lacked warmth. I asked if I could exchange USD$$ for the local currency and I was told point blank no local exchange was possible at the time. I expect a bit more from the Le Meridien brand. Surely, an international resort swimming in international travelers can be a bit more proactive with currency of all things. Ironically, the shops up the street are happy to take USD, Euros, and the like so in the end everything worked out.

In total though, I liked the resort. It is far too easy to nitpick and ignore the fact my stay was incredibly relaxing. This was my first visit to the Seychelles so I have nothing to judge the resort against. Would I return? Yes, of course. The location is serene. Having essentially two beaches at my disposal was big plus. Being able to sneak out for cheap snacks and beer was a nice touch too. Lounging by the pool was just that..a blissful chance to kick back.

Look at the big picture and enjoy the island splendor while recognizing unless one is flying in on a private jet and spending a russian oligarch's fortune there are bound to be some glitches along the way.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear RegionalRoadie,

Thank you for reminding us of the tranquility that our resort inspires thus allowing our guest a relaxing and comfortable stay. It is lovely to read of your pleasant experience, as well as your observations. Feedbacks from our guests allows us to constantly improve our service.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back very soon.

Crieff
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Despite recent adverse comments this is a really nice hotel in a beautiful location right on a wide open beach at Grand Anse. Only one small corner of the beach is safe for swimming as rip tides and strong currents affect most of it. Opened in 2005 Le Meridien does show signs of wear and tear but not critically so. Some refurbishment will be required in the next few years. There are 124 rooms and ours was spacious and nicely appointed. The pool area is particularly attractive although there were only seven umbrellas available for guests which is not satisfactory if shade is required. However we were assured new ones were on order.
The range and quality of food was excellent and the majority of the staff were friendly and helpful. Two were rude and quite hostile and several guests commented on their behaviour. Imran Azhar, the general manager, is hugely personable and rapidly responded by moving them to other duties.
We had a splendid holiday in this lovely island and would recommend this hotel unreservedly.
Norman Jarvie, Crieff, Scotland

Room Tip: Two storey buildings. Nice views from upper levels of pool and gardens.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear ndjarvie,

It was indeed a pleasure to have you in our care, I am comforted to read that your issues were addressed during your stay and confident to reassure that these are not reoccuring issues.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Mangalore, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 5 days at the hotel in the course of a conference, and had a great stay. The rooms are large, beautiful and luxurious with the most modern of amenities. The staff are extremely helpful though some were a little drunk on the job!! (One of the staff brought his personal electric adaptors from his home when none was available). The hotel property, pool, attached beach and general ambiance are awesome. The food however was a bit of a let-down. The breakfast and lunch spread were depleted by 5-star standards and the waffles were persistently burnt.
The location of the hotel was idyllic in its beauty and isolation and the beach was truly private. However it came at a price. The centre of activity in Mahe Island was at the other end of the island and, public transport being almost non-existent, you are at the mercy of expensive cabbies. However the hotel helps organise good rental cars for you.
It's definitely a paradise, an awesome paradise, which comes at a rather hefty price tag, even by European standards.

• Stayed July 2012
Dear ChandniVikram,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us and we hope our conference facilities allowed a smooth operation during your business trip.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the comfort of our room. We genuinely value our guest's comments and regret when thier expectations are not entirely met. I invite you to further discuss with a member of our team on guest.services@lemeridien.com

Le Meridien Barbarons

Been to Le Meridien Barbarons? Share your experiences!