“A very nice property, but needs some updating” 3 of 5 stars

Booking.com Travelocity
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   P.O. Box 626, Victoria, Mahe Island, Seychelles   |
Ranked #2 of 4 hotels in Victoria
West Vancouver, Canada
“A very nice property, but needs some updating”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We spent the last night of our 3 week vacation in Sourth Africa and the Seychelles at the Barbarons. It is a beautiful property. Rooms are bright but you need to be a hurdler to make into the shower / bathtub. Rooms were clean but could use an industrial cleaning "in the corners". Food was disappointing, perhaps we were spoiled elsewhere on the trip. Staff was friendly and helpful for the most part.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
LMBarbarons, Management at Le Meridien Barbarons, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear lightening996327,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us at Le Meridien Barbarons.

As part of a management team we share these comments with our team which will aid in our continous effort to exceed our clients expection, however, we invite you should you wish to further discuss your experience with a member of the hotel team, please send an email to guest.service@lemeridien.com so we may address it with you directly.

602 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Norfolk, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

You could describe the rooms on the bottom floor as rustic. Internet is not free in the rooms and did not function for a portion of my stay. There is free wifi in the lobby and business center. It was not fast enough for my browsers or video conferencing most of the time. Beware the paid internet is not for more than one device. They would not refund when I informed the staff of the problem. When I informed the staff of their malfunctioning wifi another night the staff refunded my money. Two days later the daytime staff stopped me at the door to insist I pay them back because their cash drawer was short. I won't find out if I am refunded until I receive my bill. Sometimes getting your coffee in the morning can be an exercise in futility. One day they actually just never returned. Interesting customer service policies. Oh and my room service tray is getting ready to spend day two outside my door. I am tired of typing or I would mention the ants and spiders.

• Stayed September 2012
Dear CLYoder,

I regret not having met with you during the time of your stay to help resolve some of the issues raised. I can assure you that these are not repeating issues and truly does not reflect upon our usual high guest service standard.

Kindly be advised that we only offer complimentary WIFI within the hotel's lobby and business center, as for the rooms, internet cards are purchased at the reception.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back should you ever visit Seychelles again.

Qawra, Malta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I stayed with my wife for 4 days at the Barbarons for our Honeymoon and it was fantastic. The location is ideal a beautiful long and empty beach. The whole hotel is beautiful setup with palm trees at the right places. The pool is dark tiled which makes it very cozy. Rooms where perfect size and had all the expected amenities, what was really good was that one didn’t need an adapter as they were already 2 pin and 3 pin (GB) plugs available and one can connect his laptop via VGA cable (if you bring one with you, like I did) with the flat screen TV, the DVD player was also a plus. Pricing was also reasonable and fair for what you get. For a 4 star hotel you get an exceptionally great service and a fantastic hotel. For those comments here who complained please get a reality check! Big thanks to Waven who gave us a fantastic jungle walk and explained all the great hidden gems. All in all the hotel is exactly what we thought it is and that’s great, great beach, great staff great location. Ohh and for those who complain its so secluded go to a different hotel and get informed before you come, we liked it like this, nice and quiet. Thanks Le Meridien Barbarons we would come always back here to enjoy this lovely hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
LMBarbarons, Management at Le Meridien Barbarons, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear Felix H,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of your recent stay at Le Meridien Barbarons. Secondly, thank you for choosing our hotel for your special celebration.

I am delighted to read of your wonderful experience and that you enjoyed the comfort our room and pool. Thank you for your kind comments which will be shared with our team, they work exceptionally hard to make every guest feel special. It was indeed our pleasure to have taken care of you during your stay.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

As I read reviews about this hotel, I wonder what people come to expect from a 4 star hotel. This hotel is situated in a quiet area, so to those that write there is nothing to do here, I suggest you do ur research before you book a hotel. As for my husband and I that is exactly what we wanted a quiet hotel with lush greenery all around. Staff a really friendly and helpful. We tried all the restaurants and the food was good in all of them. On Sunday they also had some entertainment in the lobby. The hotel has a breathtaking beach, which has a swimming zone as part of it has rocks in the sea. Fantastic for a romantic walk or morning jog. Overall I feel we did the best choice with le meridien barbarons as we wanted a quiet hotel at a good price.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
LMBarbarons, Management at Le Meridien Barbarons, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear Chiara H,

Thank you for your kind comments which will be shared with the team. It was indeed our pleasure to have taken care of you and your husband during your stay and to ensure a wonderful experience.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

After reading some poor reviews on here we thought it could not be that bad and we would make the most of it as we do on any holiday. The rooms were basic, cleaned daily but not great and 4 days we had to call reception for towels. We also had alot of small like ants in our room around the sink, bath,worktop behind the bed and bedside tables. Good iron in the room but my wife said take your own hair dryer. The service was good when eating staff would get you a drink straight away, Only found one or two a bit rude and some do not look happy, plenty of food to choose from but not all good the best bit was the fresh cooked dishes like the pasta.The a la carte restaurant was also nice but this did not always have everything on the menu and it is the same menu everyday including the soup. We did not mind the birds at breakfast time we just did not eat the bread it was the amount of flys in the dinning room that put us off. Drinks really expensive so no-one at the bar and not much atmosphere. Location of the hotel this time of year is not good as you can not got in the sea it was just too rough but we took the local bus down the road and found the sea really calm. We went out 6 days out of 7 as I think most people did the hotel was very quiet during the day. We did not go in the pool as you could not see in it looked very dark you could only see in it at night when the lights were on. We would not go back to this hotel and it is the first time we have ever said this about a hotel.

Dear

I am indeed disappointed to read of the several issues raised during your stay and regret not having had the opportunity to have met with you and help resolve some of the issues raised.

As part of a management team we share these comments with our team, however, we invite you should you wish to further discuss your experience with a member of the hotel team, please send an email to guest.service@lemeridien.com so we may address it with you directly.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Mauritius
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I was in Seychelles for my honeymoon and stayed at Barbarons for one week. It was really worth it!! You can see the magnificent view of the beach from your room itself. The food was just excellent. With differing buffet everynight and with a wide choice of dishes....you definitely going to put on weight:) They also had the chef cooking for u on the spot that was quite nice!!
The staff was adorable! They were so welcoming, polite and so cheerful. The service at the restaurant was excellent! They would even remember where I prefer to sit and the type of tea I prefer for breakfast. As for my room, it was always cleaned properly and I happened to leave valuable things behind but they were always there when I came back! The staff contributed a real lot to making my stay comfortable.

Dear Ruqayyah S,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of your recent stay at Le Meridien Barbarons and secondly, thank you for choosing our resort for your special celebration.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and It was indeed our pleasure to have taken care of you and ensuring a wonderful experience throughout.

Thank you for your kind comments which will be shared to the team.

Colchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I have just returned from this hotel and also stayed there a year ago. I almost did not book again following a bad experience last time, but decided to give the Meridien Barbarons one more go. I was in Seychelles on business.

Every member of staff was exceptionally polite, friendly and seemed to genuinely want to provide good service. Travellers would do well to note that things happen at a much slower pace in Seychelles, and this is true of the service. Everything will be done, but it may take some time.

The room was basic and a little dated and the floor, while it was swept daily, needed a good scrubbing to get it really clean. The air conditioning worked a little too well and was cold for my liking, the controls in the room had no effect on the temperature of the air, just whether or not the system was on or off.

I would have very much appreciated a "Do not disturb" sign for my door, there was not one, and as the chain on my door was broken and missing, there was no way of securing my room once I was inside. I did lock the door, but two members of staff walked in without knocking, it seems the door lock is over-ridden by the handle, so I am not sure of its use.

The buffet food was, at best, average. There was plenty of variety, but food was often cold and not refreshed often enough. The number of flies around the place was a real turn off. They were swarming over everything and it was a mission to keep them from your plate once you sat down to eat. I’m not sure if anything can be done with the fly problem as the dining area is exposed to the outside, but I did not notice a problem with flies anywhere else in Seychelles so the problem seems to be particular to the hotel dining room.

I opted to eat at the a la carte restaurant in the hotel one night, this was a mistake. My main course was supposed to be served with mashed sweet potato. It was replaced with undercooked, lumpy, regular potato with no explanation or apology offered. It was terrible and expensive.

In conclusion, the service is excellent if a little slow, and the staff really do go the extra mile for you, but the hotel needs upgrading and modernising to bring it in line with expectations of a Meridien. Food here is not good at all, especially with the flies around the dining area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the upper floor if you want a balcony, or the lower floor if you prefer a garden t...