“Citrus Hotel - a bitter experience or a tangy taste in your Malaysian experience?” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Citrus Hotel

You added Citrus Hotel to your Saves list
Citrus Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   51 Jalan Tiong Nam | Off Jalan Raja Laut, Kuala Lumpur 50350, Malaysia   |
Ranked #131 of 274 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

I stayed at the Citrus Hotel from February 2 to February 6. I scored an early bird booking price which purported to be 58 per cent cheaper than the normal price. The condition of the room indicated that the early bird price was in fact a fair normal price for the standard of the room. The price quoted on the hotel’s webpage was much cheaper than the one quoted on Lastminute (I will not recommend Lastminute. Expedia is far better). Since I was arriving very early I booked a taxi in the hope of being swiftly transferred to the hotel. The taxi did not show up. A complete stranger helped me contact the Hotel and only then the taxi showed up an hour late. No explanation was given for the delay. I arrived at the hotel which is a tired old building in the midst of a shanty town. The reception clerk was talking to a guest about a broken toilet. This was not a good omen after the failed taxi service. The check in process was a bit cumbersome and the fact that the clerk could barely speak English did not help. Eventually got to my room. The allocated room was 804 facing the rear of the hotel and overlooking a row of overcrowded squatter settlements. The room was basic and scruffy looking. It had an air conditioning unit which worked fine, the table tops looked dirty but was not actually dirty. The carpet was dirty. The toilet was presentable but did not always satisfactorily flush. Wifi worked flawlessly. The windows were ill fitting into the frame of the building thus allowing a lot of noise from the streets to invade the privacy and quiet of the room. The drag racing in the middle of the night made it a lot worse. The shower did not have a curtain which meant every time I showered water splashed on the toilet seats and floor requiring me to use one towel to soak up the water. I am sure shower curtains would help prevent any damage to the tiling and flooring in the long term. The hot water was fantastic. The little bar fridge did not work properly. The room safe did not work properly either. I got it fixed once and when it played up a second time I decided to not use it. The breakfast buffet can be a delight for an adventurer’s person but for the conservative eater it can be a bit daunting and disappointing. Does this all mean the hotel is a no go zone?? Far from it. The manager, Manendra, is a very proactive and a hands-on type of guy. I was extremely pleased with the steps he took to resolve the issue with my pickup (He found out about the incident from me. Nobody else thought it important to mention it to him) . Then there are staff members like Angie and Dimple. Angie was an honest person who gave you the best information to suit your needs. Dimple was very well informed about the locality and about the nearby attractions and knew the short cuts. This hotel is not five star and does not claim to be. However, it is very suitable for anyone not wanting to waste a fortune on a grand hotel. It is very well suited for families, couples and singles alike. Having seen the guests I can only assume that Citrus Hotel is a popular destination with my types of travelers. Will I be using the hotel again??? Yes, on the proviso I get a room that is not facing the drag racing streets. And it would help so much if more staff spoke English.

Room Tip: ask for rooms away from the main roads.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
ManendraSharma, General Manager at Citrus Hotel, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Citrus KL!

At the onset I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you during your recent stay with us. I wish to convey that the anomalies experienced by yourself are definitely not our norm. I have taken serious note of your feedback & shared with my team.

We have taken up with our transport vendor on the delay of pick up to ensure that our esteemed guests like yourself do not face any inconvenience.

I am happy to learn that you liked customer service of our team & shall share your inspiring words with the individuals.

We are a mid market hotel & committed towards providing value for money to our guests.

I hope that you would continue patronizing us & look forward to welcome you back at Citrus soon.

Manendra Sharma

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

Really enjoyed this hotel mainly because the staff were friendly, the rooms were clean, we had free breakfast every morning and the prices were fantastic!
What people need to realise is it is not a 5 star hotel, it's just a simple hotel that provides everything you need for a great price!
Rooms were cleaned well every day and the staff were always helpful!
Not the best location, but why not explore less mainstream areas of KL and come visit Chow Kit! There's a great Pakistani food court/restaurant just a few steps away from the hotel, and if you are into spicy food, I highly recommend you go there as it is delicious and their chilli is insanely hot!
If you don't want to spend much, and want a clean, spacious hotel with everything you need, I would definitely recommend you come here!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
ManendraSharma, General Manager at Citrus Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2014

Greetings from Citrus Kuala Lumpur!

I thank you for your patronage & your candid feedback on our hotel & services. We are a mid market hotel committed to provide value for money to our esteemed guests.

Our proximity to Chowkit area attracts many travellers who want to explore the local Malaysian market and at the same time the hotel is very near to Sultan Ismail LRT & Medan Tuanku monorail station, providing excellent connectivity to all the major tourist spots of Kuala Lumpur.

I thank you on behalf of my team & look forward to welcome you back at Citrus KL!

Luzon, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

It was far from the city center, but you'd definitely get a Malay experience from its surroundings. I got the chance to taste local food, been misunderstood, got lost, and received help. All from the mixed cultures found within the hotel's area. Going to the center is easy by taking a cab, but going back to the hotel was a hassle because not all drivers know this place. It's not even in the main road. The room we got was spacious enough for a family, however, it was just simple and looks dirty from the carpet to the window curtains. Good thing the bedding looks and smells clean, as well as the bathroom. The complimentary buffet breakfast was good as it gives a lot of choices. Hotel is good for the price we paid.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
ManendraSharma, General Manager at Citrus Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Citrus KL!

We thank you for your candid feedback for your recent stay with us. I am happy to learn that we met your expectations in terms of our breakfast service, hotel bedding & cleanliness in rooms. Our hotel rooms are fully appointed to cater to the needs of our hotel guests. Will definitely review the carpet & heavy upholstery as per your feedback along with my housekeeping team.

We are located near Chowkit area which is located in the City Centre of the Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur City. Some of the major attractions & tourist areas are like Masjid Jamek, PWTC, Central Market, Maju Junction, SOGO Mall, Sultan Abdul Samad Building are within walking distance from the hotel. Our proximity to Sultan Ismail LRT & Medan Tuanku monorail station makes it very convenient to visit KLCC, Bukit Bintang, China Town & other places of interest in the city center which are all located in around 5-6 kms radius from the hotel.

I hope that you will give us an opportunity to serve you again in case you happen to visit Kuala Lumpur in future.

Looking forward to welcome you back at Citrus Hotel Kuala Lumpur.

Cluj-Napoca, Romania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

We spent 7 night in the hotel. The rooms are small but clean, so are the toilets. The staff is helpful, but not everybody speak/understand English. The doorcards fail to work on daily basis and needs replacement. The pool is at 2nd level, clean but not much space to sit around; the sunbeds are overused anyway. The sun reaches the poolside at 1 PM (February). The breakfast is a standard but poor buffet, the a la carte lunch is not impressive either. The monorail station is at 5-7 min walk, it helps a lot, but the area is dirty, rats running at night and seems not to be safe.

Room Tip: The odd numbered rooms of the higher floors has a view of the Pertronas Towers. Both sides has a slu...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
ManendraSharma, General Manager at Citrus Hotel, responded to this review, February 3, 2014

Greetings from Citrus Kuala Lumpur!

I apologize for the inconvenience caused during your recent stay with us. I wish to mention that we have taken a serious note on the feedback on door locks and we have already started the process of upgrading the hotel door locks at Citrus KL to avoid any inconvenience to our esteemed guests.

We do offer a variety of local & international dishes on our menu and we also run few food promotions along with our regular menu. I am sorry to learn that we fell short of impressing you on the variety of food we offer at our Cafe. I will definitely discuss with our chef & review in case we need to do some amendments in our current offerings.

Our hotel is centrally located & our proximity to Medan Tuanku monorail & Sultan Ismail LRT stations makes it very convenient for our guests to travel to any part of the city.

I hope that you will give us an opportunity to serve you again in future.

Looking forward to welcome you back at Citrus Hotel KL.

kuala lumpur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights, sevice was excellent for a 3 star hotel, you pay for what you get....staff at reception roland was very efficient during c.in, ensured room ready upon arrival...dont expect 5 star service for the price you pay.....overall good stay, rooms are clean and tidy but room ac not cold in the hot afternoon. Bravo!

• Stayed January 2014
ManendraSharma, General Manager at Citrus Hotel, responded to this review, February 2, 2014
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Citrus Hotel KL!

I thank you for your candid feedback. We believe in delivering value for money to our guests & am happy to learn that you liked our hotel.

We have taken note on your feedback on the air conditioning. All hotel rooms are centrally air conditioned & it works 24 X 7 with a default setting at 22 degree Celsius, there is a thermostat control in the hotel rooms for our guests to adjust the temperature as per their preference.

I will again review the default temperature settings in our guest rooms to avoid such inconvenience to any of our guests.

I look forward to welcome you back at Citrus Hotel KL soon.

Kochi (Cochin), India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

Rooms are simple and spacious .Toilets are clean and hygienic. The breakfast menu has variety .
Right place for business and stay with family.
Swimming pool is quite big and well maintained.
More television channel options to suit International visitors

Room Tip: Choose swimming pool side rooms from between 5th -7th floor
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
ManendraSharma, General Manager at Citrus Hotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2014

Greetings from Citrus Kuala Lumpur!

I thank you for your candid feedback & hope that you had a good time during your stay with us.

At Citrus we endeavor to make our guest's stay a memorable one.

I hope to welcome you back at Citrus Hotel KL in case you happen to visit Malaysia in future.

Blackwood, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

I cannot believe our travel agent booked us in this hotel. Firstly the website photos definitely do not match this hotel. I am not one to complain about hotels but feel the need to let people know that it is in an unsafe area which our taxi man reminded us and even when we were on the hop on hop off bus tour we noticed we were travelling along the road next to our hotel and decided to get off at the next stop instead of going back in the centre and getting a taxi back. As we went to get off the bus the lady commentator stopped us and told us not to get off there as very unsafe area and when we told her our hotel was there, she looked concerned for us. The hotel door men, bellboys and restaurant staff were pleasant and helpful but the reception staff were miserable and when I put our booking confirmation on the desk he looked at me and held his hand out until I picked the form up and actually put it in his hand. How rude.

We had two rooms and both overlooking a shanti town, it was a horrible sight. Rooms were smelly and hair on bathroom floor and sink. The swimming pool and loungers were disgraceful. They needed a good scrub, full of insects on the tables and around the pool.

We stayed here 4 days but I wanted to leave as soon as I walked up the road. The cafes were filthy and a dead rat was on the path 2 foot from the chef cooking for two days without being moved. A man was led on the path every day we were there in the same place. Could have been dead for all we knew. It was a long walk to the train station and we passed lots of dodgy people staring at us, so we never walked again always got taxi. KL centre though is magnificent and the PETRONAS towers were a sight you could look at all day with fantastic shopping centre, so please visit but make sure your hotel is inside the wall surrounding the city centre. People should be warned about the area the hotel is in.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
ManendraSharma, General Manager at Citrus Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2014

Greetings from Citrus Kuala Lumpur!

I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you during your recent stay with us. I will personally take up with our front desk team on your experience. I would like to mention that at Citrus we take pride in serving our guests & your experience is definitely not a norm at Citrus.

The hotel has 24X7 security & also CCTV surveillance for enhanced safety & security of our guests during their stay with us. We are located in the City Center area with close proximity & connectivity to major tourist attractions at Kuala Lumpur.

Like many parts of the world even Kuala Lumpur has many road side eateries but we do not encourage our guests to patronize them due to hygiene issues. We have a full day restaurant inhouse which serves all three major meals on the premises.

I hope that you would continue patronizing Citrus KL & I look forward to welcome you back.

Manendra Sharma

Been to Citrus Hotel? Share your experiences!