“Good hotel in great location” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Novotel Kuala Lumpur City Centre
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Jalan Kia Peng, Kuala Lumpur 50450, Malaysia   |
Ranked #62 of 274 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Belgium
“Good hotel in great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2009

It is a good hotel, even though the first time we stayed, they disregarded the request of a view, and also put us on the lower level. The second time we got the higher floor though. In general, the staff is friendly, english speaking and helpful. Rooms are fine, a bit on the dark side, but clean and nice. The location is great, close to everything, so I can recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Liked — the location
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Auckland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2009

Stayed in the Novotel for 3 nights during August 2008. Although the hotel wasn't particularly busy, front desk was abit slow in processing check in even though I had all relevant paperwork ready. Then was asked to swipe my credit card for security? Was a bit anxious that they would charge unauthorised amounts because I had already prepaid, but was assured that it was only if there were damages.

There were 3 or 4 lifts (sorry can't remember) which were quite fast. We were quite high up and had great view of the Pavillion. Room was tidy with usual basic supplies.

Can't comment on the breakfast as it wasn't included in the standard price and we found what they were charging was a bit expensive for KL standards.

We spent alot of time in the Pavillion shopping centre doing our shopping, watching cheap movies and eating at the massive foodcourt. In terms of the location, Novotel was perfect for us as we could browse at our leisure and if we had too much shopping, just come back to hotel to drop them off and back out again!

The tours that we joined easily located our hotel stop so that was great. Another plus is that you can walk to the Twin Towers from the hotel, which is something we did on one of the nights. A relatively easy walk, I'd say no more than 15 minutes. Great way to see the surrounding landscaping.

One thing I wasn't very happy was that on the last day of our stay, the hotel completely ran out of toilet paper. I find it hard to fathom that a major hotel would allow supply to run that low, and it wasn't a special holiday season or anything. When I requested for extra toilet paper, room service came round with a box of facial tissues and said that's all they had. We ended up buying our own from the 7/11 convenience store... but really... toilet paper is an essential and would recommend they manage stock levels better!

• Liked — Location was excellent
  • Disliked — Ran out of toilet paper
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Warsaw
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2009

Very well located, about 45 min from the airport ( same price if you come by taxi or train+taxi at Sentral )

Just 10 min from Petronas Towers, just next to skytrain, nerby shopping centers.

We stayed at this hotel 3-4 times, staff was always helpful even if they dont speak english fluently

Water was quite cold at the pool, but never mind... we will come again

• Liked — location
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2009

A disasppointment from novotel I would say. I Had book 2 superior room via their website & staying with them for 3 nights & i had put special request. appointment arriving at the hotel was told by the front desk that we were give a 5th floor room out of the whole 25th floor hotel & the guy at the front desk total ignore my request. when I question him, are you sure there are not rooms that are higher floor. he say YES! after checking out the room I totally cant accept such a low room floor so i went back & this time was serve by the hotel manager. we were given 15 & 19 floor rooms which is very straight forward that the guy who serve me earlier on was telling a lie! the guy was next to the manager & he is not happy about it after I talk to the manager.

The room given are clean. one of the room had a view of the twin tower & it is a corner room with a rather special semi circle window & the other room had a view of the pavilion shopping mall. the washroom was clean but you can hear water running down from the pipeing system in the washroom, kind of noise esp in the night when u need a good sleep. Was given king sized bed for both room but to my suprise! one of the king size bed was actually combine of 2 single bed but cover up by a king size bed sheet. yes you never hear it wrongly, it was a king size bed room & it was written on my receipt!

The hotel had the worst lift! total there are 3 lift that serve the whole hotel but the lift are small & it stop at every single level. just to get from lvl 15 to the lobby waiting time for the lift can go up to 5 mins or more! if you are taking the lift at the lobby, you need to even queue in line to get into the lift. most reviewer also realise this problem too. to make thing worst, one of the lift is down so left with 2 out of 3 lift.

The breakfast buffet serve was average during my stay. the food are abit different inbetween days. nothing really special.

the gym was good. but the swimming pool was really small. esp the children pool. it was a size of 2 bathtub.

One good thing I can comment on was its wonderful location. other then that I would recommend it. there are better hotel around novotel which is far more new & bigger room, cheaper then novotel but better service. one of them is Impiana klcc & spa which is less then 3 mins walk from novotel.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — Their service
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bangalore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2009

We booked the room thru the Hotel website and stayed at the Hotel for 3 nights. Reservations had goofed up a little..we had specifically mentioned while making the reservation for a higher floor tower facing room having a double bed..however as we reached by 10.30am (check in time was 12 noon) rooms were not available...as a result we did get upgraded to a superior room..but it was not tower facing and neither did it have a double bed...after quite a bit of back and forth negotiations we settled down in the room. The staff were not keen to amend things further for us.
The room was spacious and clean. We had minor problems with the plumbing (the WC faucet was leaking)..also we had a problem with leakage from the ceiling on the 2nd day...with some bits of plaster pealing off. The TV remote was not working and took quite some time to replace..the corridoors of the floors are really narrow..and prompts one to really think how any emergency evacuation procedures may be carried out effectively in such cramped spaces.
The absolutely amazing thing about the hotel is the location..so so very central...just a few steps from the spanking new pavillion mall, a 5-6 minute walk from the back side of the twin towers (dont take a taxi..just walk) and also a similair short walk to the nearest Monorail which can take you across KL...and Jalan Sultan Ismail which has all the popular hangouts of KL.
The hotel also has a great gym to work out in which is open till 9pm..all these plus points really erased away the problems that we had with our room.
The hotel is certainly value for money..and anybody staying here will surely enjoy the benefit of the location.
While visiting the twin towers..do drop in to the basement of the towers and check out a bakery stall called Rotiboy and try out the Rotiboy bun hot from the oven..it just about melts in the mouth...-)-)-) you cant miss it as the fragrance of the bakery stall will just about pull you to it.
As we are from India, we did struggle a bit to find Indian vegetarian food..the hotel had nothing remotely indian or vegetarian....and the food courts reeking of sea food were not very appealing...but somehow we figured some Indian restaurants out after asking a few people.
Bangsar & Masjid India have some good Indian food joints and can be accessed thru the monorail near the hotel and subsequently by the MRT.

• Liked — The location and the gym
  • Disliked — The in room maintainance
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2008

I have stay in Novotel from 21st Dec 08 to 23rd Dec 08. Overall experience is disappointing.

During my check-in, the front desk lady asked for my credit card, as I do not own any credit card, so I use my debit card (master card). She told me that my card will not be charged, they will only hold the deposit.

When I am back from KL, I realised that the amount was not release back to my card. So I sent the first email to them on 26 Dec 08. I did not receive any reply. So I sent a second email on 27 Dec 08. No reply either. I waited till 29 Dec 08 for their reply. However, no reply again. So I sent a third email on 29 Dec 08 and Until today 30 Dec 08, I did not receive any reply from them.

I seriously don't understand why they couldn't reply my email. So, on 29 Dec 08, I called Novotel KL to inform them of my debit card issue. The customer service officer told me that it was their public holiday and he will inform their accounts personnel to call me on the next day which is 30 Dec 08. When I asked him about the email system, he keep changing the topic and asked me about my debit card issue instead. It's like they are hiding from something or what. After waiting for a whole day on 30 dec 08, I did not receive any phone call from them.

During my stay, one of the three lifts broke down, so every time when I use the lift, I would need to wait very long around 15 minutes. And the best part is the lift is packed with passengers especially in the peak period, like breakfast time, and it will stop at almost every level because a lot of other guests are also waiting for the lifts, so it took about another 5 minutes to reach the ground floor

When I was back in my room on first night, the mini-fridge is not working. So I called Housekeeping to inform them about the fridge and the housekeeper said that she will send a technician over. I waited for 45minutes, no one came. So I called again and she said she already sent the technician over and she will check again. I waited for another 1 hour and no one came. So I called again, this time another lady answered, she said she was not aware of the problem and said she will sent a technician over. No one came after another hour. I gave up and went to bed.

When I went down for breakfast the next day, I told the front desk lady about it and she said she will send someone to check. But when I'm back in my room after breakfast, nothing was done. I had to call Housekeeping again. Finally, someone came to change the fridge.

On the first night, I saw a 2cm long cockroach in my bathroom. I did not complain to the hotel because it is not a big one so I decided to let it go. I chose this hotel partly also because I read the reviews on TA and no one mention cockroach. I freak out when I saw the cockroach, luckily my boyfriend killed it for me. And no more cockroach after that. But it still give me creeps when I was using the bathroom after that.

Hotel breakfast was disappointing. The spread was very limited for a 4-star hotel. The pancakes were badly done. It was hard and not even warm.

I feel that the hotel staff are not very helpful when handling customers' complaints.

This is my worst trip ever.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2008

After our flight with Thai Airways from Bangkok ( see our review from the Novotel Suvarnabhumi and the Le Fenix / Mercure Hotel ) to this superb City we came with Taxi from the Central Station to our fine hotel! The check-in was fast, but we had to wait until our room no. 2208 on the 22nd floor was ready. The waiting time we have passed the Spiral Bar here in the hotel where we have enjoyed large glasses filled with ice tea and fresh water melon juice. After around 30 minutes our room was ready to roll, Folks! The first thing we have noticed was the lime green wall behind the bed which suits the room very well we found and then there is the magnificent views! Awesome! Could even see a competitor hotel with the JW Marriott! a few meters away! The room was large in size and offered a modern approach to furniture and colours. Easy on the eye does it! The bed was great, bathroom had a window out into the room which could be closed off, TV had all essential international channels, Minibar was also fully stocked and the bathroom had a bath and shower combination, fully marbled as well, plus all amenities provided like shampoo, towels, bathgel etc. etc. etc. During our two night stay we always enjoyed roomservice when eating in the hotel! The Food was great we liked especially the superb French Toast which was always slightly different presented like one time with peanut butter and the second time with strawberry jam filling! Superb, Folks! One of us had in the evening fine malaysian food for thought! She tells me it was fine! The food we mean! One of us had also enjoyed the Jati Spa at the Novotel ( they have a larger outpost at the Istana Hotel ) which is around 10 min. walking distance away from the Novotel. However the massage treatment was excellent, she tells me right now and she has also enjoyed tea at the Spa before the treatment. There is also a swimming pool on the fourth floor, the same floor as the Spa! The Location of this high-rise hotel is just amazing because literally the whole of KL is within walking distance from the Petronas Twin Towers to the Golden Triangle. Excellent, three days/two night in KL. Then after our stay here it was back to Bangkok once again with Thai Airways and our stay at the Le Fenix! ( also see review from us for you! ) Keep traveling, Folks!

• Liked — Location, room, service, food, the design, bath, TV, the Spa
  • Disliked — absolutely nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel Novotel Kuala Lumpur City Centre? Share your experiences!