“Excellent value hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cititel Express

You added Cititel Express to your Saves list
Cititel Express
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No. 449, Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman, Kuala Lumpur 50100, Malaysia   |
Ranked #161 of 274 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
New Zealand
“Excellent value hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

Stayed in this hotel for a total of 5 nights over 3 different periods march april this year. as i have previously stayed here knew what to expect. The 3 rooms i used ranged from the standard express to superior with breakfast included each day. all rooms used comfortable, with of course the level of comfot depending on room type and price paid, the standard room had a great view of the twin towers and the superior room a great view of KL city. all rooms clean and tidy and a big thankyou to the cleaning staff for this. the breakfast served is good and provides enough selection for a hotel of this class, also had one dinner at the hotel restaurant and found it very good. The area the hotel is in Chow Kit is not the most pleasent area of KL but at no time did i feel unsafe, close to monorail station and plenty nof markets in the area will some good bargins. this hotel is priced in the budget range and as such provides excellent value and would stay again without any hesitation next time i require a budget hotel in kl.

To sum up enjoyed the stay, a big thanks to the staff, keep up the good work, and thankyou for providing good comfortable accommodation in KL at a good price

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
CEKL, Manager at Cititel Express, responded to this review, September 23, 2011
Dear Value guest

Thank you for your comment in the trip advisor

hope to welcome you in future

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

I have just retured from KL where I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights. I'll start with a negative and that is the area of Chow kit. It's not the most pleasent area. It smells and it's dirty. But don't let that put you off. Across the road is the night market which I think was jsut as good as the Chinatown night market and down the street is the Chow kit bazaar which sell everything from souviners to clothes to bags and all at ridicuously cheap prices. I spent far too much time at both of these markets.

Having said taht, the Chow Kit monorail station is a 5 minute walk away and it'll get you to KL Sentral in less that 20 minutes. If you go to the Chinatown markets, the train and monorail will get you bac k to the hotel within 15 minutes.

I'll comment on the things otheres have said about this hotel and give my views of it as a recent guest.

The rooms were clean and staff were very friendly. I arrived on the 5:00 am flight to KL and got to the hotel around 7 which was too early to check in. The fellow at the door offered to put my bags in the office while I went away until it was time to check in. I arrived back around 11:30 and he saw me and gave me my bags. The checkin process was quick and easy.

Breakfast was OK but nothing spectacular but neither should you expect it to be. It has a variety of western and asian food (leaning more to asian than western). Since it's in asia then live a little and eat a different breakfast other than bacon and eggs. There was scrambled eggs and toast and cereal on most days. On a few days there was pastries as well. They may have had them every day but I didn't notice them.

The cafe food is also pretty good. I had dinner there most nights and can recomment the chicken rice. At RM 12.90 it's bang on for a good meal that'll fill you up and you even get a drink and fruit for desert.

The bed was hard but not so much that it was impossible to sleep. No bugs that I could find. Linen was clean and looked fairly new. I took my own towel so can't comment on the towels but they looked OK to me and not worn at all.

Air-conditioning worked very well and cooled the room down to a pleasent 24C. The electricity in the room works when you put your door card in the little holder. I think this might be the reason that the fridge struggles to work efficiently. I was out from 10:00am to 11:00pm most days so there was no power to the fridge.Again, its a budget hotel so don't expect everything to be perfect. To be honest it really didn't bother me as I didn't use the fridge except to cool water over night.

All in all, this hotel exceeded my expectations. It's a budget hotel so don't expect the Hilton because it's not. The area is not so nice but during my time there I never felt unsafe even wandering around the markets at night. If you keep your wits about you and be conscious of your surroundings you'll have a great time in the night markets (the annoyacne of the old guys trying to offer their young girls fro massage is annoying but hey everyone has to make a living). I'd say give it a go and if its not for you then go to a different hotel.

Tip: ask for a room that faces Petronas. The view at night is spectacular! The KLCC and Petronas shine and it is just beautiful to see.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces Petronas.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
CEKL, Manager at Cititel Express, responded to this review, May 31, 2011
Dear Brisbane, Australia First of all we thank you for posting your comments on the TripAdvisor. we do appreciate your comments made

Regards
Management
Luzon, Philippines
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2011

been here last March 29-30, 2011 with my family and the moment we arrived at the hotel, we were welcomed by the stinky smell of the hotel's fontage. Then we weren't greeted warmly by the receptionist, keeps on frowning, and didn't help us with our queries...so rude..better enroll them first on custumer service seminar, it's a turn-off for patrons.Beds are hard, sheets are not that clean..
It might be a 3 star hotel but hey, there are smaller hotels whose front desk are so accommodating and friendly...the only thing that pacify me is the location, very near twin towers

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
CEKL, Manager at Cititel Express, responded to this review, May 31, 2011
Dear Luzon ,Philippines. First of all we thank you for posting your comments on the TripAdvisor. we do appreciate any comments made on the platform in order for us to ensure our products and/or services are well taken care off. We truly feel remorse of such encounters you had experience while staying with us.We do appreciate your comments and we shall be looking forward to improve our products as well as services in order to ensure that our guests feel comfortable while staying here.

The management
Colombo, Sri Lanka
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

I traveled to KL with my family including an infant. We found that A/C wasn't dropping the temperature less than 26 degrees. We had to wait at least 1/2 hr or 1 hr to get the room cold after a hot day of walks around KL. And in our triple room one AC wasn't working at all. Wall papers were peeling off and walls were not clean. We didn't have soap in the bathroom and very old towels with strings hanging from them. Wash basin was filling up from water as soon as the tap is opened and the bidet shower was broken. I just can't believe that this hotel actually is a three star without having the basics not being working. Especially with an infant it was frustrating to call housekeeping and room service all the time get things done. And their service is extremely slow. It was such an awful location and not suitable for a family at all. Lots of junk around the area plus we had to take a taxi to get to the prominent shopping centers in KL. There is no value for the money we paid as it was too much of a hassle with a 10 months old baby. I totally blame our travel agent mitway travels for changing our itinerary and hotels on the day of the departure which highly unacceptable. If we could have gone to starpoint as it was in the itinerary before, at least we could have got a better location.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
CEKL, Manager at Cititel Express, responded to this review, April 5, 2011
Dear KashmiNanayakkara,

We truly feel remorse of such encounters you had experience while staying with us. We do appreciate your comments and we shall be looking forward to improve our products as well as services in order to ensure that our guests feel comfortable while staying here.

We are gradually replacing our towels as well as wallpapers in all our rooms as we do notice our towels and our wallpapers are getting seasoned. As for the aircond, we do notice that the aircond does not working well due to poor ducting and that also will be replaced soon.

As for the area, we do have mix comments made on the TripAdvisor as well as other comment platforms and I do believe it lies on the eye of the beholder. Some people do appreciate this area as it is actually part and parcel of Kuala Lumpur which was and still be the heartbeat of Malaysia's capital city where the quaintessence and the modern lifestyle met.

As for the service, we shall be looking towards improving our quality and rest assured that we are constantly sending our staff for trainings to improve not only for the hotel but also for themselves.

We once again thank you for your comments and hope that this would not be your last trip to Malaysia and that we invite you once again to our hotel and experience the changes we shall make at the hotel level.

brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2011

only grip would be no western breakfast but aside from that hotel and room were good great view of the twin towers. close to monorail and markets across the road all up good value.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
CEKL, Manager at Cititel Express, responded to this review, March 31, 2011
Dear motorking,
We thank you for your comments posted in Trip Advisor and surely value any comments made by our guests on the net.
We also thank you for your short and humble comments and we do hope that your stay with us was an enjoyable and memorable.

We sincerely hope to be receiving you in the future.

Thanks you,
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2011

Travelled with some friends for business opportunities. Hotel is better than most 3* hotels that I've stayed. Reason for choosing the hotel is due to its location which is just across the street to the wholesale centres we were going.

Booked two rooms of twin beds. The overall room is above average is very satisfying. Got the view of KLCC from the window... very nice. Rooms complete with coffee making facilities and bathroom is very clean and shower is good.

Excellent front desk.

Hiccups. Room 1. The kettle to make the hot water was not working. Called the housekeeping and waited for over an hour and only showed up after making a 2nd call.

Hiccups. Room 2. Both beds were infected with bed mites. Both guess were bitten and were not able to sleep properly.

But overall, the hotel is good and highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
CEKL, Manager at Cititel Express, responded to this review, March 17, 2011
Dear Saifulbahar,
We hope this reply response find you well and we thank you for staying with us and writing a valuable comment on the Trip Advisor.

We wish to convey our greatest regret of such encounter you had while staying with us. We will ensure that our service staff are to respond immediately to the guests upon receiving any requests.

As for the bed bugs, the hotel does have monthly pest control services completed on the entire building which includes bed bugs, termites, ants, rates, as well as flies. For your information, we are staggeredly changing all our mattresses and hope to complete all rooms in a very short time.

Dear Saifulbahar,
We thank you once again for staying with and hope to be receiving you back soon.

Kota Kinabalu, Sabah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

I love this hotel very much even though it is located at Chow Kit. I never think it is unsafe, just that we have to be careful everywhere we are in KL or big city. In terms of the room, I am quite satisfied with the cleanliness and room size/type. If you happen to request for a standard or superior room, make sure you also request for a room facing KLCC as you will have a superb view of the KLCC tower with such low room rate and it's worth the value.
However, same as the other customers, I dislike the attitude of some of the ground staffs especially the receptionists. They should be a bit more polite to the customers, not to show a sour face and ignore the queries from us.

I will keep staying at this hotel and hope to see some improvement in terms of the human resource management and quality control of the staffs.

Keep the good works up and improve for the negative part.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
CEKL, Manager at Cititel Express, responded to this review, February 27, 2011
Dear Scruffy1980,
Hope that this reply finds you well and we thank you for your valuable comments posted Trip Advisor and for choosing to stay with us.
I do concur with your advice that each guests are to be extra careful in anywhere they go. As for the most hotels, we have taken the liberty to ensure that our guests are safe while they are in the hotel.
We surely regret to be hearing your comments on our staff which we certainly will take the necessary actions to improve our staff performance especially at the reception counter.

We hope that the above would not deter you to be staying with us and we really value any valuable comments from you and/or any other guests on the next stay to better serve our guests.

Azlan Azwan Tahir

Been to Cititel Express? Share your experiences!