“Shabby” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #153 of 278 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Ipoh, Malaysia
“Shabby”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2015

I chose the hotel because I want to be near KLCC with not a lot of money. That is only the good thing I can think of about the hotel.

The lift was tiny. Room was shabby with leaking AC, water is all over the floor by the time I wake up in the morning. One of the bedside lamp came off when I tried to adjust it. Found out it was not screwed properly to the wall. Water pressure was not good in the shower.

As with the other review, you need to figure out how to find the hotel as Waze and Google Map will not be able to route you to the hotel correctly.

As of March 2015, the view out of the window is a construction site. It also a bit noisy because of this.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Kuantan, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2015

Entrance to the hotel is kinda tricky. We had lost few times, Waze and Google Map said we arrived even we saw the building but no hotel signboard. (The entrance: Menara Atlan)

The elevator is kinda old and small. But room is spacious with seperated living room. The living room had musty smell. I guess it comes from the old couch however its gone with lower aircond temperature.

Toilet is spacious, including bath tub with outdoor view. The bad thing is, hair dryer is not working (with smell like something is burn inside the hair dryer)

Buffet breakfast has lots of choices. Food is so-so. In room dining is costly but Pelita Nasi Kandar is nearby, can be reached by walking.

Very near to KLCC Mosque. Around 20 minutes walking to KL Convention Centre. It can be lesser if the construction is finished.

I enjoy my stay! I am not fussy by the way.

Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
Bangkok, Thailand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2015

This place is the most filthy, nasty place I have ever set my feet in. I am ashamed of myself to say I have booked this place. I went by good reviews on here and Agoda and was SHOCKED! The reality is this:

Entrance is not obvious
Looks like a chimney
Building almost falling down
Terrible customer service
Not for international customers - mainly large groups of one nationality
The scent in the building and rooms is stifling!
All furniture and kitchen appliances need to be thrown out
Lifts often don't stop at every floor when you request it
Phones in room don't work (some)

We arrived minutes after 11pm and could not get another hotel, so we used towels to cover chairs and slept sitting up. That is after we complained and was told no other room was available. Housekeeping was promised, we waited 30 minutes and called back. Oh, on the way. A young guy turned up with bottle of lysol and sprayed, then we were able to breathe.

Just a nasty place! Stay away and book other places.

Room Tip: NONE! Stay away
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Buckingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2015 via mobile

Great hotel, big rooms with separate living room area and bathroom. The reception has a really loud fountain which makes it difficult to communicate with the receptionists. When booking taxis, find your own! When you ask they insist on their own; which is more expensive than the meter taxis...! Nearly missed my flight because they were messing around getting their own taxi rather than calling in like I asked...!

• Stayed February 2015
Macao
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2015

This is sooo true!
I chose this hotel due to its location, close to the Petronas Twin Towers, the family room/apartment and the price.
LOCATION:
Location is really, really good because it is a 10 minute walk to the twin towers, even with the big constructions sites all around the area, but the good things ends there!
The hotel is hard to find, even the taxi driver had some difficulty finding it. It was after midnight when we arrived, the hotel’s logo/name lights were already off, even when the driver asked some security guards in a building nearby, they had no idea where Zon was. After 10 minutes of driving around the area, with assistance of a GPS smartphone, the taxi driver found it.
The hotel is really old and extremely outdated. Just by looking at the reception area I had the feeling we should leave. But it was after midnight and everyone was tired.
Check in was done without any problem, got the key, took the narrow old lift and went up to the room/ apartment (2005) on floor 20.

ROOM/APARTMENT:
When we opened the door and switch on the lights, I had a feeling that we travelled back to the 70’s. Everything was old!
Living room/ dining area: It is a big and long room with a division between the living area and the dining area. It didn’t look clean and I didn’t use the sofas as it was made of fabric and old. It has an old desk, a dining table with 4 chairs and a cupboard. You could see the twin towers if you looked to the right.
Kitchen is also old… there was some washed cutlery in the dish drainer, like it was left there by previous users. It had a refrigerator, a microwave, a stove and an electric kettle.
Master room was very big with one big bed, a closet and a TV that was broken, it also did not have an electricity plug adaptor for the wall socket (it means, you cannot use the TV). Everything was very old, the carpet was not clean, even the bed’s headboard was covered with dust and spider webs! I had to clean it so we could sleep, and also shake bed linens…
Kids’ room had 2 very old beds, headboards were also dirty and bed sheets had stains.
Bathroom: Both rooms have a private bathroom, old, with mold, and a very used toilet seats… It had one set of amenities in each bathroom and an information label stated that for any additional set on request would cost RM2.50. Only bath towel, no hand towel, very used but looked clean…
Air con was ok but not working very well, a lot of mold on the ceiling above the AC unit.

It was so bad that I checked prices for other nights on a nearby hotel but we needed to advise 24 hours before to cancel without losing money, and it was just to sleep so we decided to stay… 5 nights… should have left.

Wifi: Works well in the room, but doesn’t work on the breakfast restaurant
Breakfast: restaurant was very old (what’s new?!) and very limited food choice.
Egg station was ok, bread was dry, if you want Chinese soup noodles then you need to cook it by yourself (first time I saw!), there was some pastry, not good, some yogurt and some local dishes, spicy as well as some pasta or noodles. One of the days had French toast, the worst I’ve tried; it was so dry and tasteless that even with honey it had no taste…
Swimming pool: It is completely different from the photo and much smaller than it looks on the photo. We just took a look and it was also old and does not look clean.
Staff: On the check-in they were nice, and when we asked them to call a taxi to go to a nearby place it was ok, they just turned on the flashing light at the entrance gate and a taxi would come in. The strange thing was that whenever we asked for a taxi to go to places far away they always disappear and come back to tell us a very high price… I didn’t understand why they didn’t just call a taxi from the streets. On the departure day I found out why!

On the day of departure, after the check out, I asked for a taxi to take us to the airport and they said they would call a taxi, but they didn’t and a guy came to talk to us saying that the fare to airport was RM120 and we just said “not interested” but he insisted and asked if we would pay RM100. I said I wanted a normal taxi that I didn’t pay that much from airport to hotel so why should I pay more the opposite way? But they still didn’t turn on the light for a taxi and they just call some friend that arrived there and that I turned away asking, already not happy, for them to call a “normal”/ meter taxi to take us to the airport and the front staff was telling me that not every taxi could go to the airport (which I found is not true! Any taxi can take you to the airport!) They also said that there was too much traffic because it was a working day… I even left the hotel with my bags already talking yelling that I didn’t want to deal with their friends when the security guard called a taxi. We waited a few minutes and a taxi came in and agreed to take us to airport by meter, plus extras fixed by law (extra RM12.00 for airport and toll fee- RM7.00). That is a small hotel and most probably they receive commission from the taxi drivers that have agreements with them and that are the ones they call when tourists go to places farther away. Just tell them you need a taxi to a nearby place and then ask the taxi driver after you are out of the hotel where you want to go.

I will not return to this hotel for sure and will advise everybody not to go there. It needs a full refurbishment and more professional staff that doesn’t try to trick tourists!

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2015

1) We had a great room on Chinese New year weekend getaway (21st Feb 2015) with my family. Separate from room and living hall room 303. Receptions of all channels are good. Everything is working fine.
2) Booked with breakfast via asiawebdirect.com with 5% promo discount but unfortunately this time the breakfast was only so so.
3)Request late check out 1pm but only got until 12.30pm.
4)During checkout the lift is a disaster. Small and slow. We have to wait almost 10 mins to get down.
5) Wifi was quite slow at times.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
Kuala Belait, Brunei Darussalam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2015

The hotel very close to the shopping center,it just few minute walking. The staff very polite and well training. I was stay at 2 bedroom accompany with 3 of my friend. There some facility inside the room need to be repair or change. Especially the living room window need to be repair because can't be open. And the toilet seat to change. and kindly put for hanger wet cloths at the empty room........the rest is perfect...like to come back to this hotel and see the changes of the that need to be change and repair

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends

Been to ZON All Suites Residences? Share your experiences!