“The best birthday celebration ever!” 5 of 5 stars

Ascott Kuala Lumpur
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No 9 Jalan Pinang, Kuala Lumpur 50450, Malaysia   |
Ranked #15 of 274 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Shah Alam, Malaysia
“The best birthday celebration ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

I saw the hotel from booking.com because I wanted to have a special day for my husband's birthday. I booked the hotel two days before. And the hotel emailed me right away after the booking was done and trying to fulfill my requested including to provide a free birthday cake for my husband. I was suprised and feel very grateful for their generosity. When we arrived, the staff Nur Anissa was being so sweet and friendly. She upgrade our room from 4th floor to 14th floor. The room is nicely decorated, clean and comfortable and the view from the room and swimming pool are so breathtaking. I love the fact that it was less than 5 mins walking distance from the hotel to KLCC. My son and my husband had so much fun. We definitely recommend this hotel to families who travel from all over the world, or even has own place in Klang Valley like us but just to have a one night experience in KL. Ascott is the best! thank you!

Room Tip: I requested for room with twin towers view and also at any high level. They provided us at room leve...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Munwar_Basha, Manager at Ascott Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
Dear ElissaHelmi

Thank you for your very kind comments. My colleagues and I are happy that your family and you had a good stay and your husband had a good birthday celebration at our residence. We hope to host you and yor family again soon at Ascott Kuala Lumpur.

Best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Arabic first
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

I stayed in Ascott KL in April 3-10 2014. First, they said that their renovations are already 'completed'. However, when I arrived there, they were still renovating half the hotel. Their front desk staff is halfway helpful and mostly because they were told to, not because they enjoyed helping guests. One of the worst incidents that happened during my stay was when I was trying to wave down a taxi. I saw one of the security/bellboy, standing doing nothing outside the hotel. I asked him politely to help me wave down a taxi. He seemed reluctant to help and he was murmuring to himself and to his buddy who works as a driver in Tujo restaurant. He assumed that I couldn’t speak or understand Malay so he said to his buddy, "Kurang Ajar" which means "Rude" while I was standing right there in hearing proximity. Unfortunately for him, I am born and raised Malaysian; I understood every word he said. While I was getting into the taxi, I said “Terima kasih” and he said “wow you speak good Malay ah?” I asked the hotel management if it is actually considered “rude” to ask to wave a taxi down. I filed a complaint with the hotel. They tried to sweep it under the carpet and said oh he was just talking to the taxi driver whom he was taking down information for me. However, when I was there, he wasn't talking to the cab driver or to any other taxi drivers. Another thing, if you are looking for a relaxing spa experience, I wouldn't recommend going to their spa, Kamboja spa. I actually tried one of their massage treatments, and some crazy Filipino massage therapist, think her name was Cathy, was actually jumping on the table and literally beating me up. I had bruises all over my body for 2 weeks. I asked the hotel front desk and showed them the bruises and all they can say is oh you need to go and talk to the spa person and ask for an ointment. I told her that isn't going to help at all. I have physical bruises and they didn't seem to be bothered at all. Also, their keycard to the room and to the elevators doesn’t work at all. If you are at the 22nd floor to do laundry or the gym and if you need to go back to your room or even to the lobby, good luck because the keycard never works and you will be stuck in the elevator the entire time and you won’t even be able to get back even to the lobby. Their laundry facility was very disappointing, all are top loaders and very old and clunky. Oh also, they charge RM40.00 for every wash and drying time. Very disappointing because the Ascott in Singapore had 100 times better customer service and they were on top of matters unlike this branch is. If you are looking to use their TV as your monitor, forget it if you don't have a HDMI cable. The Ascott Singapore has put more thought into this and provides a wall outlet for you to connect to the TV and audio to your PC. Also, bathroom shower was not designed well because the water keeps on overflowing into the main bathroom. The location is horrid too. Most taxis hate driving to Jalan Pinang because of all the heavy traffic all day all night. This is my first and last time I will be staying with them. I don't think I will be returning to this hotel if I ever came back to Malaysia.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Dear US_Avid_Travellor

Thank you for your feedback. You have raised many issues regarding your stay with us and I would appreciate it if you could allow me to clarify some of the issues you had raised.

Our renovations have indeed been completed. All our rooms have been renovated over 18 months and the last renovated rooms have been put on sale in October 2013. During your stay, we were repainting the porch area, Jacuzzi area and also the lounge on level 22. This is part of our continuous upgrading process to improve our guests’ facilities which is now completed.

With regard to the rude security guard, we have already addressed this issue during your stay. You are absolutely right that such a comment, if directed at you, is uncalled for as you only asked him to hail a taxi for you. As explained to you by our Security Manager, the comment, which should not have been uttered at all in the first place, was directed at the taxi touts along the road who were trying to attract our hotel guests from the road as we do not welcome taxi drivers who refused to use their taxi meters to come to our driveway. Nevertheless, the security guard had also apologized to you for the misunderstanding.

The Kemboja Spa, is managed by a third party operator. We are in constant communication with the Spa Manager and have provided the feedback about the particular masseuse that you had mentioned. We were informed that she is no longer in their employment.

The keycards issued to you are new ones which we have just acquired this year. The keycard readers in the elevators are also newly installed just in March 2014. We rarely have problems with these cards and the readers but with technology, there are bound to be some problems from time to time. But we will always assist our guests and issue new cards when necessary.

As for the laundry facilities, I would like to clarify that the cost per wash is RM10 and drying is RM10. Hence the total cost for one wash and dry is RM20.

Thank you for your feedback on the HDMI cables. We will procure a few pieces for loan to our guests who require them.

On the shower, we have, since your comments adjusted the angle of the shower head in the room you occupied to point downwards and not towards the shower door. This way the water will not splash outside the shower area.

Finally, Ascott Kuala Lumpur is located in one of the most popular areas in Kuala Lumpur. It is within walking distance to the famous Twin Towers, Shopping district of Bukit Bintang, major offices and also public transport. But as in any big cities, the most popular places are also always most congested during peak hours.

We are sorry that we could not meet all your expectations during your stay with us. We hope that we shall be able to host you again soon so that we can serve you better.

Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

I stayed in a 1 bed serviced apartment for 1 month. Although smaller than some I have stayed in in KL the space is still adequate. The bed was very comfortable and the larger than normal bath was a plus.
Being a 2 minute walk to KLCC with all its shops and resuaurants and Petronas Towers the location could not be better.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear GeorgeSeator

Thank you for your kind comments. My colleagues and I are happy to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us. With regard to the size of the apartment, we have apartments of various sizes and also with different number of bedrooms. Please contact us in advance in the future so that we can try our best to find the apartment that suits you best. We look forward to hosting you again at Ascott Kuala Lumpur soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014 via mobile

After a long flight to KL we were warmly welcomed by the concierge and front desk staff of the Ascott. No request was an inconvenience, and were always happy to assist. Value for money, with spacious, comfortable rooms. Would return again and definitely recommend for couples and families alike.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear SLFS73

Thank you for your kind comments. My colleagues and I are pleased to hear that your enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you again soon at Ascott Kuala Lumpur.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Being a frequent visitor to KL & having many choices to choose for my accommodation within the area I find no reasons not to again choose to stay at the Ascott, since my 1st visit 2 years ago they had not only maintained but had been improving their services. For my recent visits beside the usual friendly reception from the staff, the rooms upgrading was also tastefully done without losing the" home feel" which attracted our likeness for the place. For the above reasons I'm making inquire on Ascott at other parts of the world for my travels as what I had experienced here is a proven statement of excellent services without doubts.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dea Gary22022

Thank you for your very kind comments. My colleagues and I are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and are now a 'fan' of Ascott properties around the world. We look forward to hosting you again at Ascott Kuala Lumpur soon.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

I have stayed here many times over the past year for periods of 1-5 weeks. Rooms have nice living rooms, walk in closets, and well supplied kitchens. The location is excellent (across the street from KLCC and Petronas Towers), the service is very good, and the rooms are spacious, immaculate, with good views. There is also very nice rooftop pool that has great views and they have a serviceable indoor workout room. The valets in front always get taxis quickly.

Check in can be a little slow at certain times. The downstairs restaurant is not part of the hotel, but is not very good. There are plenty of good places to eat very nearby, however.

It is a great, convenient place to stay in KL with very good service. I enjoy my stays there and always go back.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear Greg C

Thank you for your kind comments. It was certainly a pleasure for us to host you. We appreciate your feedback which helps us to continuously improve our products and services for our guests. We look forward to hosting you again soon at Ascott Kuala Lumpur.

Warwick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

We went to KL for our 10 year anniversary (with 2 children in tow)........We were welcomed by Shezami who was friendly and understanding that we had just finished a 16 hour trip, he upgraded us to the Executive suite on the 31st Floor (Thank you, you lead on all hotels just for this).

When we get to the apartment it was massive each bedroom had its own en suite and the kitchen had a full size fridge and microwave and cooker oven etc and all cutlery is provided.

The apartment was very clean and everything was ordered neatly and organized well

When we requested a crib for our little one, as you would normally expect a travel cot to be provided but in this case a full proper wooden cot was provided (again thank you)

Each room all had full flat screen TV's with alot of english channels.

All the staff inc front of house and porters and cleaners were all fantastic very very friendley. The cleaner even took of her shoes outside when our apartment was being cleaned (thank you)

Breakfast was at the Tujo Restaurant right next to the entrance of the Ascott .........it wasnt brilliant but certainly the food was palatable although limited (all Halal BTW)

The apartahotel is 5 mins away from KLCC Suria shopping mall and the petronas twoin towers (thats if you have a leisurely walk) and 5 minutes to the air conditioned walk way that joins KLCC to Bukit Bintang

Would i stay here again??.............absolutley I have already recommended this apartahotel to friends and family.

A big thank you to our staff who made our anniversary very memorable (so much so that our elder child who did not want to leave the Ascott)......All those small touches made the overall experience of staying at the Ascott brilliant and this has now become our families number 1 Apartahotel

Room Tip: The view can be mixed so ask for the KLCC Park view or the KL Tower view
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Munwar_Basha, Manager at Ascott Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Dear Shauqat

Thank you for your very kind comments about your stay at Ascott Kuala Lumpur. My colleagues and I are happy to hear that your family and you had a good stay. I have conveyed your compliments to Syazami and he was happy that he was able to aissit to make your 10th anniversary celebration a memorable one. We look forwadr to hosting your family and you again at Ascott Kuala Lumpur.

Been to Ascott Kuala Lumpur? Share your experiences!