“Backpacker Hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of U Pac Hotel

You added U Pac Hotel to your Saves list
U Pac Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   151, Batu 2, Jalan Sungai Besi, Kuala Lumpur 57100, Malaysia   |
Ranked #20 of 274 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Medan, Indonesia
“Backpacker Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Nice Hotel, Near from central of KL and their food so legit...its suitable for family vacation. We stay for 3 nights in two rooms. All staff in hotel very friendly. They given all information about destination of Malaysia must be visited.... Its wonderful for family holiday.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
YunOn W, Owner at U Pac Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us when in Kuala Lumpur.

We are glad to note that you and your family had a pleasant stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best regards.

Y O Wong

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Mackay, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

We stayed here for 6 nights in two adjoining rooms. The cleanliness of the rooms, halls, lobby, linen was impeccable. The best of the hotels we stayed in malaysia and Bali during our journey. Breakfasts were varied and buffet, and had sufficient variety for us vegetarians to be satisfied. Staff were friendly and super helpful in our use of the public transport system. Could see kl tower and petronas towers from our first floor room, but some street noise at night. Short walk to Chan sow Lin train station, even shorter walk to bus stop. Corner stores close by for fruit and grocery items.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
YunOn W, Owner at U Pac Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us when in Kuala Lumpur.

We are delighted to know that you and your family have enjoyed your stay with us and would like to express our appreciation for your kind compliments.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Kuala Lumpur.

Best regards,

Johor Bahru, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

I like the environment of the hotel, the attitude & service that provided by the counter staff & security guard.

The counter staffs are very friendly & patient to customer. During my check in, I saw one of the elder staff (I think should be manager or supervisor) is quite helpful & do his best to satisfy customer needs. It surprising me as most of the staff will not provide extra service to customer.

And the security guard, he still willing to open the locked door for me at the lobby when I back to the hotel around 4-5 am. Even he know that I have the room card to open it myself. It surpricing me once again.

The promotion price is cheap, so I expect the hotel & room is like normal budget hotel initially. But I'm shocked when I reach the hotel, it is quite new & the room is quite clean & big, And I'm so glad that I can use wifi in my room instead of sitting at the lobby, some of the 3 - 4 star hotel even not provide wifi.

I feel that I spent a budget price but stayed in a non budget hotel. It is really value for money. 7-11 is another add-on benefit for people like me who always feel hungry in the mid of the night & wants to take some food & drink.

The only bad thing is it is a little bit far from the shopping mall but I don't mind to spend about RM10-15 to take a taxi instead of staying near the shopping mall but poor hygiene & service.

For those who spends little money but expect for 5 star service, perhaps you should stay at your home as U pac hotel is really one of the best budget hotel I've ever stayed. Once you experience the worst in Kuala Lumpur, you will know it. Please do understand that what you pay is what you get. I will still consider this hotel for my next visit to Kuala Lumpur & will highly recommend to my friends & family.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
YunOn W, Owner at U Pac Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Dear Ken,

On behalf of our Team we would like to thank you for your review. We are delighted to know that you have enjoyed your stay with U Pac Hotel and will strive to enhance our services as we move forward to our 2nd year of operation.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Happy New Year!

Executive Director.
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights. Spacious lobby with comfortable deco. Receptionists were warm, friendly and provided directions on how to go around. On our first trip to the city centre we wanted to try the LRT and were lucky because the hotel just introduced a free shuttle service! The next day the staff helped us get a taxi to KLCC which was a 15 mins ride away.

The room was very clean and comfortable. Breakfast was sufficient with several varieties of continental and local dishes.
We liked the 7-11 store just next door as well as the several restaurants around.

Checkout was fast with the Manager bidding us goodbye.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
YunOn W, Owner at U Pac Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Dear Tingting,

Thank you for taking time in providing us with your feedback. Our Team deeply appreciates your encouraging comments and will work towards further enhancing our services.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the near future.

Best regards and 'Gong Xi Fa Cai'

Executive Director.
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

August 2013 - terrible location for hotel.

PROS:
-room was bug-free
-room was clean
-cheap rate
-staff were generally nice
-owner/manager was very kind
-friendly manager tried to explain the walk to the train station (but honestly, it was a confusing set of directions so we had to take a cab, which was cheap $3 US).

CONS:
-location was TERRIBLE
-NO cab drivers know where this hotel is located so we were rudely passed around from cabbie to cabbie trying to figure this out (also, cabbies are rather rude and perverted towards young women so trying to figure out this location with cabbies was a horrific experience).
-during the day, we felt safe walking around this neighborhood, however at night, we were hollered at by creepy men, so we didnt feel safe even when walking to the convenient store next door
-we continued to hear the hoots and howls from local men on the street all through the night while we were in our room trying to sleep
-very very noisy hallways (I didnt get to sleep for a few hours after getting into bed because the hallways were so noisy - not sure if there were guests or cleaners?)
-our room's window panel had a 1 inch gap that led to the open air, and although there were no bugs coming in, there was A LOT of street noise (men shouting and laughing, fire crackers and fireworks - we thought these were gunshots at first!)
-even though the hotel has a security guard, which is good, I felt rather unsafe trying to sleep at night (this is probably because creepy men right outside the hotel had made some perverted comments to us earlier).

All in all, this hotel is fine if you want a cheap stay, but we ended up leaving after 1 night based on the location and how noisy things were.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I chose this hotel based on the favourable reviews on Tripadvisor and Booking.com and I'm afraid it was disappointing. The place was hard to find to begin with - so do contact the hotel and ask them for specific directions before getting there. We asked a few locals along the way and they had no idea where this place was. It is a good 10 minutes walk from the nearest LRT station (Chan Sow Lin) and the best route is not at all obvious. It is a fair hike from central KL in a southern suburb - be warned.

The room we booked had no windows - it did feel a bit claustrophobic to begin with, but after a while, well, I got used to it. After all, I was there simply to sleep rather than spend time in the room. The TV had very limited local channels - so if you're after something in English, you may be out of luck. But otherwise, yes the room was clean, the facilities were new, the air-con works well and there was a water dispenser in the corridor. We arrived a little early before the check in time but was able to check in anyway. There is a 24 hour convenience store just next door for those late night ice cream runs. There is a security guard on the door all the time, so you do feel quite safe in this place. All the staff do speak very good English for international travelers and there are free newspapers as well in the lobby.

Here are the cons: the place is noisy. I tried taking an afternoon nap and was rudely awoken by others walking down the corridor, slamming doors and talking noisily. If you are a light sleeper, you'll be in trouble in this place. The Wifi worked off and on whilst we were there and the staff did apologize about it. There is a computer in the lobby for guest to use if the Wifi isn't working, but I found it rather slow.

Here's the incident that upset me though. I had looked up on the internet that I should get a bus from BTS (Bandar Tasik Selatan) to go to Melaka (my next destination) but thought I'd confirm that with the owner of the hotel just to double check with a local. He told me, "no don't go there, go to Pudu Raya instead" and he was very specific about which desk I should go to, which bus company I should travel with to get to Melaka. I thought, okay, I'll trust the local who runs a hotel - we got to Pudu Raya and was told, "south-bound buses leave from BTS, not Pudu Raya. You're at the wrong bus station." Great. Pudu Raya is miles away from BTS and I had to get a train from Pudu to BTS. So I wasted time and money going to the wrong bus station on the bad advice of the owner of the hotel - this kind of thing should never happen! Even if he wasn't sure, he should have looked it up on the internet rather than just send me to the wrong bus station. This is why I am upset.

I paid 80 RM a night for this room, but whilst walking around central KL, I saw rooms advertised for as little as 60 RM - so I think you may be able to get bargains in a more central location. Be warned that the price they quote you usually does not include other local taxes, so read the small print. Do look around before settling for U Pac hotel (okay, stay here as a last resort, it is a decent option) - but the location is inconvenient. If you are a single traveler, I wouldn't feel that safe walking around this neighbourhood at night. No, I wouldn't stay here again on my next trip to KL - sorry guys, but you have to do better than that.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the end of a corridor to reduce noise (ie. noisy people walking down the corridor...