“Worst hotel experience ever!” 1 of 5 stars

You added Vivatel Kuala Lumpur to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No 85 Jalan Loke Yew, Kuala Lumpur 55200, Malaysia   |
Ranked #74 of 278 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Sydney, Australia
“Worst hotel experience ever!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

This is our last stop of our Asia trip, I booked this hotel after reading the good reviews on the website. But it is definitely not what we experienced!!

First of all- good luck if taxi driver knows where this hotel is. 3 out of 4 taxi drivers do not know this hotel. Our driver took almost 20 minutes extra to find the hotel after making 3 phone calls.

We got to the hotel pretty late- around 12.30am. Check in was rather smooth except they literally wrote down our credit card details on their paper for record apart from swiping it thru which is not very secure.

We were given a "water themed" room. My first impression is this hotel is not ready at all, the lighting in the lift is "half hanging off the ceiling which is very dangerous; there are residues/renovation residues on the floor and carpet, some walls are half painted.

When we got to the room, the floor of the room wasnt even clean!!! There were renovation residues and dusts on the floor, the chair in the room was also broken. I asked the bellboy if thats how its meant to be? He told me the room wasnt clean. !!!!! The room was facing the road, while we were waiting in the room to have our room changed, we could hear the noise from the road VERY CLEARLY as if the window wasnt closed. We checked, the window was closed, I guess perhaps the insulator or window glass may also be still under renovation?

We waited for 20 minutes... and it was 1.20am when we got our room changed!!! The second room is at least more ready than the first one, but we can still see fingerprints everywhere on the glass and shower screen, and dust on the floor/outside the room.

Today, we turned on the switch "Clean out room pls" before we went out. When we came back our room was not cleaned. At around 6pm we went out again, and we actually called the reception to request our room to be cleaned. At 7.30 when we came back, our room wasnt clean still!! What made it worse was there was a cockroach in the bathroom!!! We called the second time, and was told they didnt know we had the request??!?!! They said they will send someone immediately. We went out and came back after another 45 minutes, still not done. We then called the third time, and the receptionist said "Sorry we are very busy but I will send someone again now." In a 4 star hotel, you will expect better service than this!!! 15 minutes after, a housekeeping staff came and the first question he asked abruptly was " whats the problem?" There was NO PROBLEM, we just need the room cleaned!!! And he asked us specific area where we would like to be cleaned? Dude, its housekeeping, you just clean as usual...

He spent 10 mins, mainly cleaning the bathroom and changed the towels. Then he asked if we need the bed made or mop the floor. I gave up and asked him not to worry about it. Then when I went to the bathroom... I wonder what had he done? The toilet wasnt cleaned, the shower glassdoor was cleaned on one side but not another. No water was given, and no toilet paper was given/replaced!!! All he did was clean the bin, wipe one side of the shower screen, changed the towel!!!!! Seriously.... !!!! I paid for the whole package not just a ROOM. I couldnt bother to ask for the service anymore, we just went to the supermarket and bought our own toilet paper and water.... My first experience BYO in hotel....

Yes, it is a new hotel. Yes, they are still learning and still under renovation. Yes- its a 4 star hotel and price is not bad. BUT- You rated yourself as 4 star hotels but your service is worse than a 3 star? But if you are not ready, then dont promise what you cant deliver.

This is my worst hotel experience and I will certainly will not come back at all.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Vivatel_KL, General Manager at Vivatel Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, April 15, 2013

Warm Greetings from Vivatel Kuala Lumpur!

Thank you for sparing your time to bring this situation to our attention.

We regret the very embarrassing experience that befell you when you were here. Your comments are duly noted, and we have taken immediate action to improve our staff efficiency and functioning of our hotel.

Once again, please accept our sincere apology on any annoyances and inconveniences that occurred to you, and we hope to be given the opportunity to restore your faith in us.

Vivatel Kuala Lumpur

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed for 2 days at Vivatel KL. We were allowed to checked in early, however upon checked in we noticed the toilets was not cleaned properly. There was dead cockroach in the toilet. The body soap & shampoo was not there and we have to called 6 times before it was given, that was on the next day. No cable TV eventhough it was reflected in the TV selection.
Service was poor, the renovation next to our room was on going when we were asleep on Sunday morning.
Overall it was not a very good stay but the rates are reasonable.

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay experience with us.

Your comments are duly noted, and we have taken necessary actions towards improving our service level.

We apologies for the unpleasant experience that befell you when you were here, and we hope you will consider staying at Vivatel Kuala Lumpur during your next visit.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed 4 nights at this hotel.

After an hour's journey from airport, we finally reached the hotel. When I first reached the hotel, I was stunned by the environment around the hotel. It was not located near any big shopping attraction such as, Pavillion or KLCC. Instead, it is linked to a shopping mall which at the time when we arrived, it looked empty(cos we arrived quite early, shops not opened yet). The surroundings are quiet, the hotel is linked with a shopping mall, in front of a very busy road.

Check in was fast. Glad the staff let us checked in early. We were served with a smile, the gentleman at the conceige was also very courteous. But I was too 'shocked' by the quiet surrounding and was unaware of the convenient location of this hotel, once checked in, I decided to cancel my booking and wanted to change hotel. After much consideration, my husband and I decided to stay on. This is a right decision as later on we found many good things about this hotel.

The room was big, bed was comfortable, except one thing, the room did not provide us toothbrush and toothpaste. We had to go to Giant supermarket next to the hotel to buy. And, during one conversation with the reception then I got to know that the hotel do provide toothbrush and toothpaste but none was supplied after our room being tidy up every day!

Breakfast was okay, in fact quite a wide variety. But one thing is that the fried noodle or fried beehoon or any fried stuffs, they all fried in one way, that is, to fried the noodles or beehoon with leeks. I personally do not like to eat leeks, and most of the people do not like this kind of vege too. Hope the kitchen can consider not to cook with leeks or at least change the style of fried noodles or beehoon instead of every day the same.(I had been staying 4 nights there and imagine I am eating the same kind of taste of fried noodles or beehoon). The curry noodle was nice, so was the curry puffs. But the coffee was not good.

Location wise, the hotel is nearby Miharja LRT station. It was only about 5 to 10mins walk from the hotel. You need to cross an overhead bridge linked to the shopping mall and pass the flats and coffee shops. It was quite a crowded residential area and we enjoyed walking pass the area watching families and residents sitting in the coffee shops chitchatting and taking meals. We also packed some food to hotel for dinner one evening. Taste not bad too! The LRT station to bukit bintang is not far, just got off at Hang Tuah station and change to monrail to bukit bintang and various attractions.

If you are too tired or too lazy to go out, you can get good food at the mall linked to the hotel, the mall is Viva Mall. There are many nice restaurants there, japanese, korean, chinese, local, all sorts of food. And if you like to watch movie, there is a cinema in the mall! You can buy your stuffs at the Giant supermarket too. Very convenient. The hotel has a swimming pool at level 5, and it's of moderate size. Not bad for you to cool yourself there.

The gentleman at the conceige was very helpful and courteous. So were the staffs at the reception. We had booked the taxi through the conceige and everything was well arranged. During check out day, we just leave our luggage at the conceige after checked out, and went shopping in the mall and even watched a nice movie to kill our time before we got on the taxi to the airport. This is the advantage of having the hotel near the mall with cinema and shops!!!

A very terrific stay in this hotel and I am glad that I did not make the wrong choice of staying here. Again, glad that we did not change hotel. Hope the hotel keep up with their good service. Will be back again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review about your stay. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We have noted your remark regarding the food & beverages; and we will take it into consideration.

Once again, thank you for sparing your time to share with us. We are very much looking forward to your next stay at Vivatel Kuala Lumpur.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

it was a terrible experience for me to book a room in this hotel!i get to know to this brand new hotel via Agoda website. after read the information of this hotel,i thought that it's a new 4 star boutique hotel and decided to try for a one night stay in the hotel. on the day of my arrival,we reached there at ~3.30pm and initially been told that our room was not ready yet!then,another stuff came to inform us that actually the hotel already fully booked and no room for us!how come they processed my full payment without reserved my room?!they said needs to transfer us to another hotel but cant provide the full address of that hotel,only sent a stuff to follow our car and directed us to that hotel. oh!actually that hotel is a budget hotel!could u imagine how bad of my feeling at that moment!we paid for 4 star hotel but had been arranged a room in budget hotel without refund of my payment!finally,my husband decided to pay the budget hotel room's fee by ourself and strongly requested to cancel the room in Vivatel. I made an international call to Agoda and finally Agoda promised to refund my payment. whats a horrible experience seems we were bringing an infant with us and had been suffered a lot just because of this unresponsible hotel!and we nearly missed an important appointment because of the transferring hotel here and there~surely i'll never ever back to this “4 star” hotel again!!and strictly advise those travellers with tight time schedule during stay in KL, p/s avoid this hotel seems it'll suddenly run out of the rooms!

• Stayed March 2013
Vivatel_KL, General Manager at Vivatel Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, March 29, 2013

Warm Greetings from Vivatel Kuala Lumpur!

Thank you for sparing your time to bring this situation to our attention.

We deeply regret on your unpleasant experience at our hotel and would like to take this opportunity to clarify on the incident of not enough room for occupancy during your visit.

The incident was due to the hotel needs to close few levels of room by the reason of the power outage. During this unexpected happening, guests who were arranged to stay at the affected levels have to be transferred to a similar range hotel near to us.

We understand your frustration on this matter, and we regret for our front office staffs unable to furnish you with accurate information during that time.

Once again, please accept our sincere apology on any annoyances and inconveniences that occurred to you and your partner, and we hope to be given the opportunity to restore your faith in us.

Malaysia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

This is a brand new hotel. The contemporary design and great location are the contributing factors that attracting us to stay in this hotel for 2 nights on our KL trip.

Started with the checking in process, the checking in process was sluggish due to the price in my confirmation letter is different with their system. The front desk has to confirm and ask around with their supervisor for 10min before handling over the room key to us. The disappointment continued when we clearly requested for "water theme" room in our booking confirmation, but the front desk staff just told me they are fully booked today and thus giving us a "fire theme" room.

The upset was even worse due to the room given has power tripped at level 8. The room lights cannot be turned on. The fridge was down and giving interval noise. The bath room hot water was not able to heating up even though you turn the knob at maximum red position. Part of the wall paper started peeling off. All and all, we made complaints to the front desk. It took 30min for them to send over a technician to fix all the problem except the peeled off wall paper.

I was extremely dissatisfied with the poor room facilities in just a 3 months old hotel? Though they managed to get all problem resolved, but this type of problem can be avoided if they checked the room thoroughly during housekeeping when the last guest was checking out. This is the horrific experience I have ever had with all the hotels that I had stayed before

This hotel is located at Jalan Loke Yew, that you always seeing congested traffic in front of the hotel. There is a Miharja LRT station within walking distance through a pedestrian bridge by crossing over the busy highways. Then you can take KL Monorail at Hang Tuah interchange station to go to Bukit Bintang or Golden Triangle area. There are a few restaurant in the viva mall, thus dining is not a major problem if you do not have transport. There is a Giant hyper market that you can buy daily stuffs.

Breakfast wise, they provide quite a lot of choices, local and continental breakfast. The food quality is decent but the staff service has room for improvement. First time ever that the server served you coffee without creamer. You have to asked for it. And the replenishment of food is very slow.

I can only give compliments on their fast free wifi and friendly staffs.

In general, other than new and it's great location, I don't think this hotel gave me a "WOW factor" though it is very new. It is new but this is not the excuse to being negligence on customer needs in hospitality. There are a lot of great hotels nearby which I think is much more value and better in spending your money. I paid USD 70 for superior room through booking.com per night.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Vivatel_KL, Marketing and Communication Executive at Vivatel Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear Guest

On behalf of the Management, we would like to thank you and your partner for patronizing our hotel.

We regret on your unpleasant experience here and appreciate that you have taken the time to let us know.

We were disappointed that we have let you down, and we apologize for the annoyance and inconvenience that this may have caused to you.

We have noted all your comments and have taken necessary actions towards improving our service level.

Once again, please accept our sincere apology, and we hope you will consider staying at Vivatel Kuala Lumpur during your next visit.

If you have any clarification please don’t hesitate to call us at 03 9205 8888 or email at fom@vivatel.com.my

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

From the moment you arrive you are made to feel welcome. Staff were always helpful, rooms were clean and well equipped, very close to transport, adjoins Viva mall which has everything you need. As its new some taxis couldn't find location. Stayed 3 nights and would definitely stay again! Gym and spa were not complete as with other parts of the resort however didn't bother us. Wifi had really good reception in the rooms.

Vivatel_KL, at Vivatel Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, March 22, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay experience with us.

We are glad to be told that you were happy with the facilities and services at Vivatel Kuala Lumpur.

We are certainly looking forward to the pleasure of serving you at Vivatel Kuala Lumpur, during your next visit.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Vivatel is only 3 months old, but appears to be making a scene in the KL hotel industry. It's a "4-star business boutique hotel", with different themes for each floor and relatively well-designed rooms.

As mentioned by previous reviewers, each floor has a theme - earth, water, fire, metal. We were accommodated on the 'water' floor. Kudos to the designer of the hotel. We felt that the idea behind each floor's theme was unique and unusual for a 4-star hotel.

Rooms are uncarpeted, same goes for the common corridor outside the room. Doors slamming and noisy guests walking by can be heard within. The room floor is laid with modern vinyl tiles, with a New Age-looking tiled bathroom (hidden blue LED behind the wall to 'throw' the light into the bathroom). The hot water ran super-scalding-hot, even on the cold water setting in the evening/night. Funnily enough, it was just right in the morning. My son and wife, who love super-hot showers found the water too hot for their liking.

Rooms have a flat-screen TV, WiFi, hairdryer, fridge, safe. Power-points are only available at the desk which is a bummer for travelers who need their phones on the bedside table. Rooms are small but have high ceilings. The air-con was adequate and kept our room nice and cool even though it faced the setting sun.

For a 3-month old hotel, it was unfortunate that some of the fittings were already looking aged. E.g. some rust around the toilet fittings and the vinyl tiles were popping up at the corners.

Breakfast was served at the Retro Cafe with a local and western buffet selection. Staff could not replenish the sausages and eggs fast enough. There was a seminar going on at the time so all the tables were full. We had no choice but to sit in an area with a strong spotlight. I had to eat fast and get out before a headache developed.

Vivatel is just off the MEX from KLIA, and Cyberjaya. There is a Giant supermarket, and an MBO cineplex, plus it houses lots of home decor shops. Swimmers who want to cool their heels need only head to level 5 for a dip in the hotel pool.

We did enjoy the enthusiasm and warm service of the hotel staff. This was certainly one of the highlights of the stay.

Overall, Vivatel is nice, but I would probably look for other hotels to stay in.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Senior Executive – Marketing Communications

Been to Vivatel Kuala Lumpur? Share your experiences!