“Can't wait for a 2nd meal here” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Mexicana

La Mexicana
The Terrace at Hock Choon, 241-B Lorong Nibong (off Jalan Ampang) | Ampang, Kuala Lumpur 50450, Malaysia
+60 3-4253 5251
Improve this listing
Ranked #44 of 2,518 Restaurants in Kuala Lumpur
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Truly authentic Mexican cuisine prepared by renowned Mexican Chef Carmela. Select from a full range of classic Mexican dishes all lovingly prepared fresh daily using the best local and imported ingredients. Decorated with authentic Mexican handicrafts, our hacienda style restaurant offers indoor and outdoor dining in a delightful garden setting. Open all day from 12 noon to 11pm. Viva La Mexicana! Viva Mexico!
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Can't wait for a 2nd meal here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

Some of our expat friends took us to La Mexicana. We're new to KL and having someone's recommendation is very important to our selections.
La Mexicana was wonderful. From being greeted by the owner, to the guacamole dip and the food, everything was great. I'm used to the TexMex of Houston and the old expat fail-safe of Chili's. But, I won't be going back to Chili's when I know La Mexicana is there.
Our party shared jugs of tasty margaritas, the Carne a la Tampiquena steak, the special fish tacos, and the chicken fajitas. All were wonderful.
We had 3 kids with us and sat inside. The kids loved the food and the staff was very accommodating when my toddler fell asleep by offering to pull out cushions to allow her to nap (Dad enjoyed having a full lap, however.) The only demerit I gave was for "kid friendliness" and that is simply a function of most of the seating being outdoors. We had made a reservation for inside, so it worked well for us. But, if you had to sit outdoors at night, kids might not fair as well due to mosquitos. Just be sure to make a reservation for inside if you want that luxury.

Overall, I can't wait to get back for a second helping of La Mexicana!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
StephenD17, Propietario at La Mexicana, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
It was a pleasure to have you at La Mexicana and meet your family. I am very pleased you enjoyed the food and of course the Margaritas. We love kids and my staff always try to accomadate and make you feel at home. We have mosquito coils around the terrace but a table inside is probably the best option.
Hope to you see again soon

“Authentic Mexican food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

This is not Tex-Mex which I find awful. My second visit last night and thoroughly the meal. Yes, the Margaritas are great but we made a "tapas" style meal of the appetisers and then had dessert. and coffee. The cerviche was wonderful as were the other dishes whose names I do not remember correctly.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
StephenD17, Propietario at La Mexicana, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Thank you for the return visit and your kind comments. You are right we are definitely not Tex Mex and as you know Carmela is very passionate about being totally authentic.
Browsing through our appatizers menu is a great way to try a lot of different dishes and as you know we have now expanded the range on offer and also have the monthly specials as well to choose from. You must try the fish tacos (Tacos Ensenada). they are really great. Hope to see you again soon.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Definitely worth a visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

Was here on a Saturday night and slightly surprised it wasn't busier. Judging by the food it certainly should have been. Upon arrival we ordered the classic margaritas - which were delicious and not too overpowering. A good start. I think the menu is excellent with plenty of choice and we opted for a variety of dishes which we shared. Ask the staff what they'd recommend but my personal favorite was the fish taco with slaw. Simply awesome - with some extra hot sauce added for a bit of kick. Price wise I left feeling it was good value, we had 6-7 cocktails and 5 dishes and it was about rm300. Not bad at all for the food and experience. I'll be heading back sooner rather than later.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
StephenD17, Propietario at La Mexicana, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thanks for your comments, we are so pleased that you found everything to your liking, The new selection of Tacos is a great hit and the fish tacos (Tacos Ensenada) that Carmela has added to the May Specials Menu, are one of my favourites. The new options on the menu really try to give a great Mexican culinary experience.. also dont miss the new Fillet Steak (Carne a la Tampiquena) with some firey Chiles Toreados on the side.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Viva La Mexicana and Viva Mexico!
Kuala Lumpur
“Over priced, decor is taking apart, food is very average”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Paid 220myr for a meal that still left me and my companion still hungry. The portions are tiny, and the food left us very underwhelmed.I have had better Mexican food at chillies. The location is OK... (No amazing view). The decor needs urgent attention, I saw dust on tables, peeling wall paint....

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
StephenD17, Propietario at La Mexicana, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear Sir
Firstly may I thank you for taking the time to review La Mexicana. You are correct that the recent unseasonable terrible rains we have had recently in KL have created a problem which we are now attending to and you should see a bright new La Mexicana on your next visit (rains permitting!). We are ofcourse a hacienda style garden restaurant so views are limited to our herb garden, pool and fountain.
As for the food I will be happy to assist you on dish selection on your next visit however please note we are not Tex-Mex and portion sizes and preparation methods are very different in Mexico to those offered in Tex Mex outlets. My wifes mission in life is to promote Authentic Mexican Cuisine and I am sorry that we have failed to impress.
With kindest regards
London, United Kingdom
“Mexican food does not get better than this.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Just go there and find out for yourself. I can't recommend it highly enough. Great service, great atmosphere, and food cooked as fresh as you like. Glad I found it soon into my attachment here. Will be a regular visitor.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
StephenD17, Propietario at La Mexicana, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Cant thank you enough for your comments, it is so nice to know that all the hard work we have put into trying to make La Mexicana a little slice of Mexico here in KL is so appreciated.
Look forward to seeing you again soon