“Disappointed” 2 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Taman Tasik Perdana, Kuala Lumpur 50480, Malaysia   |
Ranked #84 of 274 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Called last Friday to book a table for four for afternoon tea on Sunday. They said the reservation was made on my name and took my mobile number.

When we arrived to the hotel on Sunday we were not allowed to go in. Security guards said there was a wedding and the hotel was closed to the public! I said there must be a mistake because there was a booking under my name. Asked him please to check. He called without asking my name and the reply was: the hotel is closed for a wedding. Feeling Very disappointed after driving all the way from Putrajaya with very young children, I asked at least to let us go in and talk to the staff to clear this misunderstanding. They didn't let us go in.
Very poor service for a five star hotel...

Ended up at the Mandarin Oriental where we had a great time and excellent service!

Stayed September 2013
HotelManagerCSN, Manager at Carcosa Seri Negara, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to bring to my attention the problem you have encountered at our Drawing room. In our efforts to achieve a level of service whereby guest expectations are being anticipated and met, we have obviously failed on this occasion. Please accept our apology and extend the same to your family for this shortcoming. Rest assured that they have been identified to the managers concerned for the necessary rectifications.

Once again, thank you for your time in communicating with us. It is feedback of this nature that advocates us to continually strive for better service to our valued guests such as yourselves.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

I lik the place I ve been there twice and was always relaxing nice staff smilling a ready to help.place to take your beloving.go and enjoy the nature all the threes around the property.J'aime l'endroit c'est tres relaxant un lieu presque unique au centre de kuala lumpur avec sa vegetation ses arbres tout autour de la propriete les personnes y travaillant sont accueillantes et toujours pres a aider definitivement un endroit ou se posser apres une semaine agitėe.

• Stayed August 2013
HotelManagerCSN, Manager at Carcosa Seri Negara, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment during your recent visit to Carcosa Seri Negara and we are glad that you enjoyed your time here with us.

Feedback from guests is invaluable to us as it allows us to continually monitor and improve our service standards to our guests and I sincerely thank you for your comments.

May I take this opportunity to say that we all look forward to welcoming you back to Carcosa Seri Negara in the near future.
Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Called to ask about the Hi-Tea before booking a table for me & my 5 yrs old son, was explained by Mr. Shahril (helpful & knowlwdgeable) that the restaurant was fully booked, he will arrange a balcony table for us and I agreed.

Reached there around 2pm, Mr. Shahril greeted us and show us the balcony (but not the exact table), it was a quiet and comfortable space but quite hot, Mr. Shahril said they will switch on the ceiling fans. As the table setting is not ready, we went back to the lobby to wait.

Then the restaurant captain/manager (not sure what his post is) lead us to our table, it was at the far corner with no ceiling fan, I asked him for a table with fan but he answered "we don't have fan in the corner" (for me, it's sounds like the corner table is LOWER Grade, that's why I don't deserve a fan. Like hotel rooms, if you stay in a standard room and ask for a welcoming fruit basket, your reply will be "we don't give fruit basket for a std room). There are many empty tables (they combined 2 -3 tables to make it big) with ceiling fan and no other guest around that time, but he just doesn't care to change the table for us, so I thought maybe they reserved the big tables for bigger groups.

Later, there are 2 walk-in guest, the same guy direct them to the other corner but they asked for the ceiling fan table, Guess What....their wishes granted!!!! They sitted on a big table (for 6 persons).

At last, I paid RM87 and having a free sauna with flies all over the 9 petite size sandwiches and pastries for the entire tea-time... Why I made my reservation earlier and ask for fan BUT cannot get it whereas the walk-in guest can? Is it not the priority will be given to the reserved guest first?

Just to add a bit of comment, the captain/manager even scolded his staff for not cleaning thoroughly the table wares infront of the guest, I think in this reputable restaurant, if you need to teach your staff, you should do it privately, everybody needs to be respect, even a staff or a worker, do you agree?

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

Tried the range of breakfast selection offered by carcosa (english and continental). I thought the food served were nothing special nor great with the price charged. It is better to go to other hotels for breakfast where there are more choices of food.

• Stayed August 2013
HotelManagerCSN, General Manager at Carcosa Seri Negara, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to bring to my attention about the pricing for the ala carte English and Continental breakfast at our restaurant. In our efforts to achieve a level of service whereby guest expectations are being anticipated and met, we have obviously failed on this occasion since we do not have a buffet spread due to our limited number of rooms. Please accept our apology and extend the same to your family and guests for this shortcoming.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Lunch at the varandah restaurant was memorable. Setting was beautiful and so was the food. Salmon was perfectly cooked, boneless and with a creamy vegetable sauce. Apple pie wrapped in filo pastry with ice cream was to die for. They have a good wine selection too. The waiter was very professional and his suggestions were spot on. Overall a good choice for a restaurant that focus on food quality and service. Price was also reasonable considering the ambience and service.

• Stayed June 2013
HotelManagerCSN, Manager at Carcosa Seri Negara, responded to this review, June 19, 2013

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Afternoon tea here is mediocre. Scones were not authentic. Selection of cakes is average. Waiters were not very knowledgeable and did not know about Darjeeling tea!

Atmosphere though is nice in a traditional colonial setting.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
HotelManagerCSN, Manager at Carcosa Seri Negara, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to bring to my attention the problem you have encountered at our Drawing room. In our efforts to achieve a level of service whereby guest expectations are being anticipated and met, we have obviously failed on this occasion. Please accept our apology and extend the same to your family and guests for this shortcoming. Rest assured that they have been identified to the managers concerned for the necessary rectifications.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

This place served me the most watered down cup of tea I've ever had. Then half way through the meal they refilled to water so it was even worse. It is a set menu, nothing amazing and one of our salmon sandwiches neglected to have salmon. It's pretty and the staff is friendly. It's a nice experience but depending on budget I'm not sure it's worth the money.

• Stayed February 2013
HotelManagerCSN, Manager at Carcosa Seri Negara, responded to this review, March 10, 2013

Been to Carcosa Seri Negara? Share your experiences!