“The most uncaring service” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Royale Bintang Kuala Lumpur

You added The Royale Bintang Kuala Lumpur to your Saves list
The Royale Bintang Kuala Lumpur
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   17 - 21, Jalan Bukit Bintang, Kuala Lumpur 55100, Malaysia   |
Special Offer
Family Stay-Cation
Ranked #158 of 274 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
London, United Kingdom
“The most uncaring service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

My friend and i spent 3 nights in the royale bintang hotel and were both bewildered at the four star rating.

Not to say that anything was backpacker hostel terrible but that disappointment and lack of even basic care lurked everywhere.

To keep it brief the staff have no intention of making your stay comfortable or going out of their way. From the 'concierge' (read tout) who insisted on pushing group tours on us and claimed they were impossible to organise without him to the room cleaning who every day left us one towel for the 2 of us and then took 30 minutes to come up with another one.

We had to change rooms on arrival because our non smoking room smelt like a chimney but despite saying they would send someone up to take us to our new room after 20 minutes we returned with our suitcases to the lobby to find nobody knew what we were talking about and having to start the conversation again. This indifference was what classifies the hotel as when we asked the lobby about laundry rules and were told we had to return up to our room and call laundry services and they refused to call for us.

Not to say that the non-human elements were ok: the hotel is in need of a makeover, the door lock took 5 minutes of trying to open everytime and we had ants scurrying on the headboards but these things are far less annoying when you sense someone actually cares and isnt just glad to see the back of you.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Auckland, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

The hotel esp. the rooms looked very tired and in need of a renovation. Reception staff and manager performed poorly in our experience. On arrival in our room the phone, toilet and electronic safe were not functioning properly. We contacted the reception three times over a span of several hours and they contacted the manager. Long story short, nothing happened. I repaired the toilet myself, but the phone and safe were never repaired during our four-day stay. The staff not even followed up on it! Breakfast and pool fine. Location great, but otherwise we would not recommended this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

Arrived at the hotel at 12:25 PM and was told room was not ready and required 45minutes to be ready (even though on their booking website they have Expected arrival time which I put as 12:15 PM, does this means it is a false advertisement?)

I was not too happy about it but I wait for 45 minutes as my friend was going to pick me up at this hotel. After 45 minutes, I ask the receptionist if the room was ready, and he said it was. So I got the key and went to the room. The first thing I see when I enter the room is an used towel on a chair...

As I moved in further into the room, I saw a used cup with some dark coloured beverage in it. As i turned around, I saw a messy bed, with further inspection I found more cups around. The bathroom was of course in a mess with smells of sp*rm.

At this point, I gave up on even trying to call the receptionist as it probably just means I have to wait another 45-60minutes for another room. I went down to the Lobby and demanded a full refund of my money due to failure of the Hotel to deliver its service.

The lady on the receptionist was trying to converse in local language (for whatever reason) to her colleague which unfortunately I understand and told her to forward my demand to her manager.

After insisting on my refund, their Manager appeared and attempted to do damage control (too late), and I told him he could either refund me and the issue is over or I will bring this issue further. He agreed to refund my by the end of last week which unfortunately the hotel did not refund me even to this date.

Avoid this hotel. Unable to provide a clean room to your customer = breach of trust and false advertisement.
Asked a friend to drive me to better hotel, and end up staying at Le Meridien, no complain there.

Attached on the reviews are pictures of the hotel , taken less than 1 minute as I enter the room.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

Booked a family room for a night weekend stay, about a week before arrival. I reached an hour late for check-in. No long queues but 3 staffs are attending 3 different customers at that time. I overhead their conversation that there are no rooms available for walk-in, unless they willing to wait for a couple of hours for any check-out customer. From my observation, I could see that the staffs were not efficient and confident in handling the customers. When it came to my turn after 15 mins of waiting, I was attended by a young lady who I assumed that she might not be a local as her accent sounded so. She also talked so softly and I kept on asking her to speak louder. She seemed like no confident and kept on asking another staff for assistance but others seemed like reluctant and acted busy. I came to know that she is a student and 3 out of 4 serving the counter are foreigner. It came to my surprised when she told me that I have to wait an hour more as the room that I reserved was yet to clean. I asked her why this is so, as what I knew that check-out time is 12pm and check-in time is 3pm. They have 3 hours to clean and I came an hour late. Another staff, a malay lady, heard my asking and answered that their housekeepers are slow. It is a straightforward answer to tell the weaknesses of other staffs. I got in my room later but have a weird smell which did not disappear till I checked out. Another thing was the breakfast. It was not to a 4 stars serving standard. The bee hoon was not soft and prata (roti canai) was sweet. Overall the customer service was very poor. From the start I stepped in till I checked out, none of them smile and greet except for some Bangladesh staffs when having my breakfast. Seriously, this hotel did not meet the 4 stars standard and should remove the ‘Royale’ in the name.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Plaine des papayes, mauritius
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

I have been there 2 times already and did not see any change. The rooms are still the same and the lobby also. I'm a satisfied with the service. I don't stay at the hotel the whole day or eat there so I'm quite satisfied with the service. Only once I didn't go out and ordered some food which was quite yummy. The staffs are very nice people, they remember you when you go back.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

This is to warn other unsuspecting travelers like me. When I booked this hotel, I paid for a Deluxe Club Room of about Rm500/nite. After checking in (note there is no special check in like most other hotels with ClubRoom), we were given the smallest size room (This is one of the two smallest room in that floor). After complaining, we were given another room that is only slightly bigger. This is our first unpleasant experience.

Later, we found out what is the meaning of RoyaleBintang's meaning of Club Room facilities....there is no cocktail hours like 6 to 8pm where liquor and carnapes are served. We unpleasantly found a self entrance door where you touch your room card to gain access. No body is inside that small tiny area. Inside, we only find tea & coffee with a miserable small plate of one type of tiny nonya cake....probably left for hours and hours. In the few times I visited this tiny place, I have never seen another hotel quest. And....that tiny plate of nonya cake seemed untouched after a few visits.

I was wondering if this is a 4 star hotel?

After discovering there is no newspaper outside my door in the morning, I called to ask for the newspaper. After 1 1/4 hr, that newspaper did not come. It was a few minutes later after the 2nd call that the newspaper arrived. This is not what I would expect of a 4star hotel. Quess what, I have to ask for a newspaper again the next morning.

Other than the unpleasant experiences, the location is good, but there are so many other better hotels in the better vicinity to shopping areas. The breakfast is acceptable, but again in one instance, I had to ask and ask again before the staff did a refill in one of the food station. It was not late morning yet at that time and refills were not forthcoming.

Overall, please don't ever get short-changed like me, paying more for a Club Room where there is "none"!!!! and got a miserable room....

Go for others nearby and get better value for your money!!!

Room Tip: I would never stay at Royale Bintang KL again....
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Pune
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

Its just what you would call a very 'matter of fact' hotel, nothing personalized. We changed like 4 rooms until we got a room of our choice, they did upgrade us because the air-conditioning in the other rooms was very poor. The manager was very supportive although I felt that the hotel could do with a little more on the amenities. The breakfast is poor you would rather take a miss and eat elsewhere. Otherwise I would say the hotel is in a very safe and at a good location for a first time Kuala Lumpur visitor. Pricing is fine, I would not mind staying there again if I get a good room rate. .

Room Tip: The club floor is good, rest do not bother.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Been to The Royale Bintang Kuala Lumpur? Share your experiences!