“Old hotel..” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Royale Bintang Kuala Lumpur

You added The Royale Bintang Kuala Lumpur to your Saves list
The Royale Bintang Kuala Lumpur
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   17 - 21, Jalan Bukit Bintang, Kuala Lumpur 55100, Malaysia   |
Offers & Announcements
Family Stay-Cation
Ranked #158 of 274 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Jakarta
“Old hotel..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

The location is great but the hotel is old. Eventhough it's old, the bed is amazingly comfortable. Bedroom is also spacious. Bathroom is not so clean as you may find a lot of stain and fungus in the bathroom. Breakfast range is limited. Average hotel. They should refurbish the hotel. Another thing to be improved is the security staff attitude.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Penang
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

There was already a long queue when we checked in at 4 pm. It was an excruciating long wait as there was only one receptionist working. Even when guests started complaining, he had the cheek to answer back rudely "so what, I don't care !". This is simply not the way to treat guests. The rooms had their wallpaper peeling away and there was this kind of smell of the carpet being soaked wet for ages ! Just to validate your car park ticket is a hassle... You have to queue in together with other guests who are checking in to the hotel. I was "lectured" by the rude front line staff..."you don't know how to queue up". They should have a special counter....how long does it take to validate a car park ticket? With such rude staff, this could possibly be the last time I am staying here.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

Good location. But terrible service and long wait, severely understaffed even at the reception. Waited 45mins at the front desk to check in. When it's finally my turn, the staff told us to wait another 2 hours before using our rooms, even though it was already 3pm local time and check-in to new rooms starts at 2pm.
Receptionist told us both my rooms are nearby and side-by-side, but in reality, they were on opposite ends of the corridor, many rooms apart. When we went down again to verify about this, the receptionist told us in a nonchalant and arrogant attitude: "so what do you want me to do now?"
Room condition was appalling as well. Both rooms given to us had severely scratched door peepholes, which meant we couldn't check who was knocking on our door from inside.
But, across the entire floor, there are no doorbells for any rooms at all, which is disappointing because that can be said to be a basic feature, especially for those ordering room service without posing a security threat to anyone.
One more problem: one of our rooms have a misaligned bathroom door, which meant that if you force shut it when you're taking a bath, you'll be spending 5mins of your time trying to yank open the door.
Morning breakfast was pathetic too. Lack of variety and taste; many patrons had to queue for scrambled eggs and roti canai instead. Plus the attendants took ages to refill the dishes at the counter.
I stayed at Royale Bintang thrice over the past 10 years, and the only reason why I booked this hotel again this time round, was because of the excellent quality service I received during my last stay 3 years ago. I'm terribly disappointed to see that the standards have dropped to these atrocious levels, and seriously, something needs to be looked into, straight from the management level and downwards. I'm sad to say, but this will be my last stay here in this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013
Kuching, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

I'm a frequent traveler to KL. The location is good, the facilities average, but the front-line staff, worst! Too few staff to handle the guests. Waiting in queue for much longer than it should take. Even to validate your parking coupon or to validate room keys (most of the time my room keys doesn't work when I leave the room), you still need to wait in the long queue. No more such hassle for me. Stay elsewhere nearby.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

Where to start?! Stood in line at the check-in counter for half an hour at 3pm. Tried to check in. Was told my room wasn't ready, come back in 1 hour. I came back at 5pm - still wasn't ready. Waiting ages in line again! They finally gave me a card for a different room - I went up only to find I was IN SOMEONE ELSES ROOM! Their valuables were out, clothes, electronics etc. I immediately backed out of the room and went back to reception to wait in line AGAIN only to face the girl at the counter who COMPLETELY ignored me when I told her what had happened. By this time it was 5:30. I had a meeting to get to at 6.

The utter lack of caring by the staff really let this hotel down. Not just me either - plenty of other guests were complaining they had to wait to check in too. I'm normally a very patient person but the staff here seriously pissed everyone off.

Room was okay, reasonably clean. Uncomfortable beds though. The only thing this place has going for it is the location. Will NEVER be staying here again.

• Stayed November 2013
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

I can start with the positives, comfy rooms, great location and good breakfast but that is where it stops. Customer service was zero! When we first arrived we were sent to our room to find it dirty ie wet towel on the floor, rubbish and dirty ashtray and bedside table. I complained at reception ( had to go down as phone didn't work). Was given another room, no assistance, found it was non smoking when smoking was requested. Finally given another room, again no assistance with bags etc. On the 3rd day noticed an incredibly strong kerosene smell in corridor and room. Despite repeated complaints this was not addressed and am still waiting to be moved the following day. Was told to spray perfume! Wifi worked but constantly had to log in and had to go to reception to have the key card reactivated every time we left the hotel. We would never stay here again and would not recommend to anyone.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Sutton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

Stayed a couple of nights on a guys weekend away with friends. The location is super. Close enough to a mono rail to even take the train from the airport. Short walk from the shopping attractions in the Bintang area.
The lobby area looks really new, posh and clean, the check in staff were very friendly and helpful.The facade is however lifted when you go upstairs, as the biggest drawback was the conditions of the rooms. The carpets were stained and worn, the phone, safe and shower did not work. Although the latter three were quickly fixed when we called housekeeping, the last thing you want to do when you check in after a long flight is to do a full inspection of the room.
Beware of the cabbies around, against the advice of the front desk to negotiate fares before getting in, I got the doorman to get me one willing to run on the meter to take me back to the airport as it was a long journey. Big mistake, I think the meter was rigged as it came to twice the guide price!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Royale Bintang Kuala Lumpur? Share your experiences!