“Great hotel! Really sad about the buffet breakfast! ” 4 of 5 stars

The Westin Kuala Lumpur
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   199 Jalan Bukit Bintang, Kuala Lumpur 55100, Malaysia   |
Ranked #20 of 264 hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Melbourne, Australia
“Great hotel! Really sad about the buffet breakfast! ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

Hi,
I stayed 2 nights at the Westin while in transit. This hotel was highly recommended by my sister and friends for its ideal location and buffet breakfast!

Firstly, the room was beautiful and very clean. I had a mini surgical procedure on my foot a week prior to my travel and it was of utmost importance to be in a clean place! It definitely met my standards! Actually it was above it! Thank you!

Secondly, perfect location as I dragged my feet to the shopping malls which were roughly 5-10 minutes walk away!

My only regret is the breakfast! I arrived very early morning and queried whether I could possibly swap my buffet breakfast that day instead of the day I was leaving as I would be departing at 5 am and would be missing the buffet breakfast. I was denied this request. I then spoke to two different staff about the fact that I had purchased a buffet breakfast but would be missing it and if I could instead have a room service breakfast served. I was told to tick off what I wanted and leave it at the door prior to 1 am. I did so and specifically hand wrote on a piece of paper as well what I wanted.

The day of my departure, I received a big breakfast with a lot more than I had requested including a huge steak which I cannot eat. This was among the other food on the plate and made it difficult to eat given my religious beliefs. I then got a bill to sign which confused me as I had already paid for my breakfast and settled the bill. I contacted reception who explained that because it was room service, it was being charged! I was very upset as it meant I had doubled paid for a breakfast that I couldn't even eat! However, as I was in my way to a wellness retreat, I did not want to spoil my mood and conceded to go to reception to settle the bill. To my greatest surprise, they told me not to worry about it and did not charge me! I was very grateful! Thank you very much as it restored my faith in great customer service! Thank you again.

On another note, I did have breakfast on my first day. I thought it was rather strange given all the raving about it. The spread was minimal and I was very surprised, however enjoyed my meal. It's only later when I read the reviews and spoke to my sister that I realized that I went to the wrong room!!! Aaaarrrrgghhh! I wish someone had directed me to the proper room and told me about the proper buffet breakfast that I had rightfully purchased! Being a foodie, I was really looking forward to it and had even woken up really early! What a shame!

But all in all, great hotel and I would definitely go back! I even signed up for the SPG!

Thank you!

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
HratchKhatchanian, General Manager at The Westin Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, May 25, 2014
Greetings Anjana B

First and foremost, I hope you have fully recovered from the foot surgery and can now walk like normal.

It is very embarrassing to read about the breakfast matter, which could have been handled in a more tactful manner to avoid all the unnecessary hassles. Please accept our sincere apologies.

Again, on the breakfast issue, there are 3 venues serving breakfast i..e The Living Room being the main venue, Five Sen5es at Level 1 which is non halal and the Executive Club Lounge if you stay in a Club Room. This should have been made clear to you upon check in.

Ms Anjana B, we are terribly sorry for the whole experience.

On a lighter note, good to know you are now a SPG member. Look forward to welcoming you back soon.

1,427 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

The hotel is located in an excellent spot, with easy access to the major North South highway via the smart tunnel and at the same time its in the heart of the City.

The room was in good clean condition (and hope they can keep on top of this as it ages). It came with plenty of free mineral water and comfortable bed, well sound proofed room and ideal room temperature.

The breakfast experience was first class with all the choice and ambience of the living room concept. Well worth allowing a little extra time for breakfast. All staff were friendly and check-in /out was very fast.

Would return again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Greetings Matthew B

We thank you for staying with us and your time in reviewing our hotel - extremely delighted to hear you had a great stay.

All of us here look forward to welcoming you back when you return to Kuala Lumpur.

Chennai (Madras), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

I travelled with my family and took two rooms (one suite and an adjacent room). This hotel is situated conveniently in the Golden Triangle of KL with Malls, Shopping and Restaurants all around. Wonderful staff, courteous and proactive. One of the best breakfast spreads I have seen. Value for every Ringitt spent. Great room service and front office staff. We ordered Italian and Indian food which were very reasonable in price and tasty. This is the second time I am staying here and will continue to stay here whenever I come to KL.

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and sunny.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
HratchKhatchanian, General Manager at The Westin Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Greetings rksitaraman

On behalf of the team, thank you so much for your loyalty, trust and support - extremely happy to hear all of you had a great stay.

Please come back again whenever you return to Kuala Lumpur.

Delhi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

I had a night stay in this hotel as we landed in Kuala Lumpur during the transit from Indonesia. The best part of this hotel was its location which was right at the epicentre of Bukit Bintang which is the shopping district of KL. Bang opposite to this hotel is "The Pavillion" which is the best mall in KL & on the right side is the premium brands collection "Starhill Gallery". Petronas Towers & Suria KLCC are at a 8-10 mins ride from hotel. The rooms are decent sized with good city view. its a busy hotel as people use it for Business as well as Tourist purpose, though it is not recommended for peaceful, leisure stay because it is situated in the crowded district. The best thing i liked about the hotel is the Grand Buffet that was served in breakfast, i have never seen such a variety & offering in any other hotel. They have covered each & every cuisine of the world in b/fast & the food is really delicious. I was also allowed a late checkout as my flight was in the evening which felt really good. If i visit KL again than definitely i will stay in Westin.

Room Tip: Choose higher floors as there is a good view of city & Petronas towers illuminated at night. i s...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Greetings Pankaj A

We thank you for staying with us and your time in reviewing our hotel - we truly and sincerely appreciate your feedbacks.

We are extremely delighted to know you had a great stay and like our breakfast adventure, which is our signature breakfast incorporating SuperFoods.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back whenever you return to Kuala Lumpur.

Take care and see you soon.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

Location of the hotel is fantastic, relatively close to the subway station and good location in bukit bintang area. Very good spread for a buffet breakfast. Only issue I had was that there is no free wifi in room, but at least they had wifi in the common areas.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
HratchKhatchanian, General Manager at The Westin Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, May 18, 2014
Greetings KZ1980

We thank you for staying with us and delighted to hear you had a great stay.

Your comment about having free wifi in the room has been noted - we are working towards this direction but may need a little bit more time. On the same note, we would like to inform that this facility remains as a paying service in most hotels in the Klang Valley.

Once again, we truly appreciate your feedbacks and look forward to your return soon.

Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

A little late with this review however better late than never as they say!! This was our second stay at the Westin, the first in 2010 as a stopover to the Maldives, then as a 4-night break on our way back to Australia. First impression this time is that the hotel has become a little aged, however, the service, friendliness, food ......amazing. As it was a special anniversary for us, we upgraded to the Executive Club ...... So worth it! The extra cost as little as a bottle of wine (their price) a day, included all you would expect and the staff were delightful. Position of the Westin is amazing ..... Pavillion directly opposite, Town Square within walking distance and ever present taxis for Chinatown or wherever. We did the tour of Melacca .... Fantastic. All in all, a wonderful week and will definitely be back

Room Tip: We stayed one of the Executive Club floors and would highly recommend it
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Greetings Susan W

Yes, agree with you it's better late than never. On behalf of the team, we once again wish you a very belated happy 40th anniversary.

Despite our constant efforts to maintain the building, the hotel is indeed getting old. We do have plans to refurbish but unfortunately we are unable to communicate an exact date now and hope you understand.

Please come back to celebrate your 41st anniversary with us. We look forward to another great celebration.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

This hotel is firstly in such a great location! opposite Pavilion shopping centre...and the closest entrance leading down to the food court (an added bonus - if the in-room dining menu doesn't appease your appetite)

The hotel trends well with other properties in Westin brand, but stood above the rest when when we checked in and were offered an additional amenity - other than the ones we had already selected! We opted in for cookies - which were quite nice - and came in a nice little keepsake tin.

The rooms are well appointed with all your standard amenities which you would expect of a hotel this calibre including robes, slippers and dental kits. The TV, equipped with HDMI and a dvd player, so if you got the cables, and are keen to plug and play - be sure to bring it with you.

Our room overlooked Pavilion, and was on the 30th floor (i think) the hotel is neatly kept and considering the amount of traffic (both foot and car) that pass by, and through on a daily basis, it still feels secluded enough to feel removed and in your own little world. Our room also had awesome views of The Petronas towers overlook Pavilion in the distance, which looked awesome at night, all lit up, and in the morning sun.

In room dining was unfortunately a tad disappointing - perhaps after eating at the markets, and trying local delicacies fresh from the grill, the 'modernised'/hotel-esque adaptation wasn't as great - still good, just not AS authentic. none-the-less, the selection of food is definitely ample enough to satisfy everyone.

We didn't opt in for breakfast, only because we were never up early enough - and just figured to go straight to brunch along Bukit Bintang or near by cafés (the new? Tours les Jours a definite plus and worth a visit for a bite)

The Westin Kuala Lumpur is definitely a property we'll return to again in the near future - opposed to the Sheraton Imperial, where we have usually stayed when in town.

Room Tip: Ask for a Tower view room - when in town, make the most of it.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
HratchKhatchanian, General Manager at The Westin Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Greetings hopdan88

We thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review our hotel - sincerely appreciate the fantastic feedbacks.

Please come back again whenever you return to Kuala Lumpur.

Hratch Khatchanian

Been to The Westin Kuala Lumpur? Share your experiences!