“Great location, good club floor” 4 of 5 stars

The Westin Kuala Lumpur
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   199 Jalan Bukit Bintang, Kuala Lumpur 55100, Malaysia   |
Ranked #28 of 278 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Great location, good club floor”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for the first time in March this year and loved the location! Esp as there is now a fully a/c walk way right to the KLCC area.

We stayed In the 2 bedrooms residency but ended up moving due the food smells coming into our room - we had EXCELLENT service from the duty manager! he could not have been more helpful! Will route his name out...

The club floor was very good, good selection of food and drinks. Service excellent as was the check in -very efficient.

We had breakfast In the main area downstairs and food selection was good but service was very slow in clearing the dirty plates away and the tea caddies were luke warm.

The pool was a little too chilled for me although my children were swimming every day.

We have actually booked to return to the hotel for 6 nights this Friday and I must say I am very much looking forward to it.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
HratchKhatchanian, General Manager at The Westin Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Greetings Paula H

Thank you for your support and loyalty - truly appreciate you sharing your stay experience. However, we apologize for having to move you to another room.

Glad you like our breakfast adventure but most importantly our team provided personal and instinctive services.

See you again soon.

Hratch Khatchanian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

This was our fourth stay at The Westin, KL, and we always leave extremely satisfied with our stay. The Westin staff are very friendly and helpful. Then there is the breakfast - which is possibly the best ever in South East Asia by far. The location, the friendly kids club, the pool, the breakfast, the service, the rooms, the bed, the breakfast and the closeness to shopping and street food makes it such a fabulous hotel for a short stay in KL..and did I mention how good the breakfast is??!! As a family, we always look out for hotels that can accommodate our children and we have always been able to have connecting rooms or where they aren't available, we have been upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite. Our girls love the activities in the kids club and the staff are always helpful and very friendly.

Thank you The Westin, we'll be back again soon!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
HratchKhatchanian, General Manager at The Westin Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Greetings TheLandsdowns

We thank you for your support, trust and loyalty - extremely happy to know you had another great stay, as always.

Also, happy to know you like our breakfast, which is our signature breakfast adventure incorporating SuperFoods.

Once again, thank you and see you again soon.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

The position of this business type hotel is good, located in the hustle and bustle of the golden triangle not far from the Petronas towers and all the brands (that are available everywhere in the world). There is a great street food market, 5 mins from the hotel, where can eat fresh seafood, cooked as you watch for a very reasonable price, followed by some wonderful local fruit for dessert. I say this, as the food in the hotel sadly is awful, having witnessed the breakfast and taken a look in at the dinner, I avoided anything the hotel had to offer apart from sleeping.

The positives about the hotel were, lovely friendly staff, but all were a little clueless. The rooms are tired and the corridors, bending, dark and again tired.

My toilet was broken on arrival, but was fixed quickly.

The big issue was something bit me in my bed in the night on both feet and still a month on I have discomfort from what ever the creature was. I reported it in the morning and the hotel seemed concerned and the bed was changed (room moving was offered) and the duty manager did say it had been reported to the management! (would of hope so), but I didn't receive any message from them.

To sum up, the hotel is BLAH, a typical 3/4 star at best soulless business hotel, with no character of its own, I could have been anywhere in the world.

The staff were friendly, but not in anyway empowered, so anything you asked had to be referred to someone else and inevitably wasn't dealt with.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Greetings traveloracle1964

We thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review our hotel. Regret and disappointed to note that apart from the heavenly bed and our friendly staff, food wise, we were unable to meet your expectations. We view this very seriously and have communicated to the team.

Sad to advise that in spite of our tireless efforts to maintain the building, the hotel is indeed getting old. Obviously we do have plans to renovate but unfortunately we are unable to communicate the exact date at this point in time.

We know your impression of us has been tarnished but we sincerely hope you will give us another opportunity to make amends and welcome you back.

Once again, we truly appreciate your feedbacks and look forward to welcoming you back again.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We stayed at the Westin in Kuala Lumpur during the first two weeks of September.2013.
In the past we had stayed at the Grand Millennium (also known as the Regent until about 6/7 years ago) three times. The Grand Millennium isituated opposite side of the road to the Westin, also in Bukit Bintang. Our last stay there was about four years ago. At that time, we felt the hotel was getting tired and standards were slipping. So, this year based on trip advisor and other reviews, we decided to stay at the Westin. As per usual, we used it as a base whilst travelling around Malaysia.
We usually stay in a deluxe room, which was adequate for our needs, but this year we upgraded ourselves to a premium room for a change. The first room we stayed in was large and clean. The view of the city was fine. And the bed, as they say in their promotion, was “heavenly.” The gym was well equipped and the staff pleasant. Like the Millennium, they were helpful, about leaving our luggage behind while we went on short visits lasting two or three nights.
The carpet however could have done with some steam cleaning and the position of the spray tap at the washbasin could be changed to flow smoothly and bent more inwards into the basin. Both may be fashionable but not practical for shaving. My husband had to fix the sink plug in order keep the water in the basin while shaving (it was literally coming out of the tap and going out of the plug hole due to a poorly fitted plug). The pool was in the shade and the shallower end had rotting dead leaves and cotton wool (probably from baby nappy) floating in the water.
We went away and returned for a one-night stay and this time we were given a terrible room at the same rate. The carpet was dirty and stained. We felt uncomfortable to stand on it. The sink had the same problem as before. We did not complain as we were leaving the next morning.
We returned after two nights to spend our last three nights in KL. This time, the desk light and two of the three bulbs in the standard light were not working. The problem with the sink was worse. We complained to housekeeping in the morning but noticed nothing had been done when we returned in the evening. When we contacted housekeeping, they told us that they had put the job out to the engineers and it was out of their hands.
The next morning we reported it to the reception staff. When we returned in the evening, the sink had been repaired but the lights had not been touched. We packed our bags in poor light as we were leaving at 6 am to catch our flight. Most annoying.
The layout and the quality of the food at breakfast were poor. None of the foods labelled local to Malaysia (e.g. Indian, Chinese and Malay dishes) were any-where near authentic. It seemed a fusion, which no one could explain. I asked for a large bowl for the soup noodle to replace the tiny one but the chef could not find one in the whole of the kitchen area. The food at the food court in the Pavillion shopping mall is much superior! We ate there most of the time. ( But the Indian restaurant in the Pavillion is awful. I would avloid it at all cost the next time).
There were loads of little cards and leaflets and bags left around the room on Fridays as part of their weekend promotion, which I found most irritating and dumped them in the bin. Westin needs to try and replace the hype with a little more real quality.
We are not sure what to expect from a five star hotel any more. We would be interested to find out what are the standards from fellow travellers. We plan to return in the next two years as we enjoy Malaysia and have friends there. We were hoping to try out the Marriott the next time but an incident outside their hotel in KL, Bukit Bintang, has put us off for good.
We were returning from dinner one evening and found a young Indian man lying under the palm tree in the front courtyard of the Marriott among expensive cars parked next to the tree. . He was part of a group of people on training course/convention. (We recognised the uniform he was wearing which we had seen earlier at our hotel worn by a group of people). He looked unconscious. Vomit was flowing out of his mouth with red streaks in it, which we thought was blood. We alerted the door attendants in uniform at the front of the hotel and asked them to call an ambulance. They took turns to come and look at the young man and returned to their position saying he was drunk. We were joined by another passer-by with an American accent. Together we went to the reception and asked if they had called an ambulance. They started looking for the number. There seemed to be a lot of confusion. No one was responding to us. We kept on telling them that the man may die. We returned to the victim and as we were standing there trying to get some attention from the hotel staff ‘the American accent man ’ saw an ambulance stuck in the traffic jam outside the hotel and flagged it down. The ambulance men took the young man away moaning about him being drunk.
The next day we popped into the hotel to find out what had happened to the young man. The woman at reception was pleased to see us and wanted to thank us for calling the ambulance. She claimed that she was present at reception when the commotion took place and was not sure who called for an ambulance. However, once she realised we were not residents at the Marriott her attitude changed and told us that the head of security was trying to find out on progress. She promised to ring us at the Westin with information, but we never heard from hear.
The lack of humaneness and social responsibility and ethical behaviour at the Marriott has put us off for life. As the man with the American accent said, “they would do the same to me because I am fat. They would let me die saying he has eaten too much”!

Room Tip: Be assertive and ask for a change of room if you are given a poor quality room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
HratchKhatchanian, General Manager at The Westin Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Greetings CAA38

Having read your review with deep concerns, I would like to extend my profound and sincere apologies for the disappointments and aggravations you went through. There was no excuse whatsoever on our part to offer such sub standard service but our commitment and promise to you that such unpleasantness will not recur in future.We have immediately taken remedial actions where identified to avoid repetition.

No doubt the incident has marred your impression of our hotel but we only wish that you give us another opportunity to demonstrate to you that the incident was an exception to the norm.

Once again, please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused. We thank you for your feedbacks, as it will help us to maintain, upgrade and improve on our services to our valued guests.

Look forward to welcoming you back again.

Queensland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We just stayed 2 nights in transit from UK to Aus and compared to other Hotels we have been in KL this is the best. It certainly lives up to its 5 star rating. Clean, Modern, Comfortable, Efficient - basically all that you want in a Hotel a long way from home. Simple cuisine yet sophisticated in its very special restaurants especially Prego- see my separate review. The staff are very friendly and polite and the whole experience we had was one of extreme kindness, the true gentle nature of the Malyasian culture really comes through in this vibrant Hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
HratchKhatchanian, General Manager at The Westin Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Greetings travelator_9

We thank you for staying with us and really happy to read your review - so good to know you had a great stay but most importantly our services and facilities live up to your expectations.

Please come back to stay for a longer period next time.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at the Westin a few weeks ago whilst spending my birthday in KL. The team were absolutely amazing, always friendly and ready to assist.
Iyana on reception (unfortunately only name I can remember and sorry I can't name everyone here personally to thank them) provided such a warm welcome on arrival and assisted me with a query I had regarding an additional booking, with such a friendly smile.
I celebrated my 30th birthday (which I refer to as 29 take 2) with my parents and a friend in Prego. The team and service was amazing. I was particulary surprised when they came over and started singing their birthday rendition song (can't remember the words but very lively and unique and not the standard "happy birthday"), which certainly got everyone's attention. I particularly loved the nice touch where they had taken a photo of me with my cake and they've brought a printed copy in a keepsake frame over a few minutes later.
The Dim Sum brunch on Saturday in their chinese restaurant was really good, and Q Bar had a great atmosphere as well.
As always the Westin Heavenly Bed was extremely coz and rooms nicely furnished.
I would definitely recommend this hotel.
As a hotelier I couldn't fault them on anything and would love to have a team like theirs!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Greetings Fiona_SZR

Once again, on behalf of the team, wishing you a belated happy birthday - very happy to hear your parents and friend had a wonderful time. This is how you should feel at The Westin.

See you again soon.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

The only positive aspect of this hotel is the location. I stayed on the Executive floor for 3 nights. The negatives were:
The tap in the basin squirts water all over the bathroom when turned on;
The toilet door touches your knees;
In the Executive lounge at breakfast the food runs out and isn't replaced so you have to be quick, the tables are left dirty, the cutlery has food stains left all over it and the service by the staff is woeful;
The staff are unfriendly especially the staff in the Executive lounge area;
The breakfast downstairs is the opposite where the staff are in a hurry to clean up after you so if you leave an oj or cup of coffee on your table while you go get breakfast it will be cleared by the time you get back.
Overall, definitely not the experience I was hoping for.

• Stayed October 2013
Greetings N1970

We thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review our hotel.

It was with deep regret that we learnt of the unpleasant incidents and challenges experienced. Having read your review there was indeed no excuse for the efficiency shown but to extend our most profound apologies for the aggravation caused. Please rest assured that the matter will be dealt with expediently to avoid further recurrence.

I fully understand that this has marred your impression about us but please give us another opportunity to make amends and let us welcome you back.

Hratch Khatchanian

Been to The Westin Kuala Lumpur? Share your experiences!