“Very Nice Hotel - In an OK Location” 4 of 5 stars

Sheraton Imperial Kuala Lumpur Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Sultan Ismail, Kuala Lumpur 50250, Malaysia   |
Ranked #22 of 274 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Cleveland, OH
“Very Nice Hotel - In an OK Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

Had a two night stay there last week and was able to score an upgrade to a corner suite, with one side of the bedroom facing the towers. Here are my quick thoughts:

* Service -- Fantastic. Employees were eager to help and ask if there was anything they could do to assist. Very professional and polite.
* Room -- I would consider it an above average Sheraton room. Not quite the height of luxury, but well appointed and comfortable.
* Lounge -- A bit on the smallish side and can get crowded but very well stocked and great views. Also, the food was above average for a lounge.
* Breakfast -- As a Platinum, breakfast was available in the buffet on the third floor and it was fantastic. All kinds of international foods and more things to try than could be eaten in two breakfasts. Well done.
* Location -- I took taxis most places and walked around the area one night. Definitely not the "nicest" area but didn't feel unsafe, either. Sogo is a quick walk with a decent food court. Several 7-11s nearby as well. I will try the Westin next time to compare the area.

Overall, would stay again but will try other properties first. Great stay, though.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
stephan_sieberg, General Manager at Sheraton Imperial Kuala Lumpur Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Dear DawgmanOH,
Fantastic review and feedback and we all would like to thank you for taking the time to post this review. Even with all your compliments it seems you have decided to try one of our sister Starwood properties upon your next visit but we are very confident that you will return to Sheraton Imperial soon as you called it a great stay here.
Looking forward to your next business visit and we would like to take this opportunity to thank you on behalf of Starwood for your loyalty.
Greetings from KL and best regards
Stephan Sieberg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

This hotel is pure luxury.

The breakfast is unbelievable. They've got about 10 members of staff in the breakfast room permanently frying stuff for you, mixing you fruit coctails and the like.
The rooms are amazingly furnished. The view to the Petronas towers is fantastic. Staff is very friendly and helpful. In Addition we've got a great price.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear couple Andreas2601,
Thank you very much for this outstanding compliment and feedback. It was an honor to be your host and hopefully there is a chance for you to come back to KL and explore again our hotel facilities and services. Thanks as well for the ultimate rating of 5 stars and taking the time to post this pure luxury review.
best regards
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

I am a starwood member for a long time and has stayed at this facilities many years ago but i have not been back until there until last week as i would normally stay at the Le Meridian KL Central hotel. This time just wanted to change a bit . Overall, i had a good stay, the bed was always comfortable and room was clean. The room decor has not been changed for many years but it still looks classic style ( although it does shows sign of aging and getting to be outdated) and spacious with all neccessities. Breakfast was great, big selections and great taste but a bit low on the healthy food choices - most are fattening Malay food !

Any way, the gym was fully equipped and big enough which i always enjoyed. Hotel location is reasonable, although it is not near any shopping malls in a walking distance, but there is a light rail station a few steps from the hotel and it is easy to take a ride to shopping malls if you like to go shopping. Hotel also provide shuttle to shopping mall in the morning as well. There is a big shopping mall project under construction just right opposite the hotel, so may be next year it will be much more attractive for shoppers.

There are also few restaurants and meeting rooms in the hotel so i think it suit business travelers more than family tourists. So a four stars for the service and overall facilities - recommending for business travellers !

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
stephan_sieberg, General Manager at Sheraton Imperial Kuala Lumpur Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear sombatbkk,
It makes us proud that you took the initiative to change hotel within the Starwood KL properties and for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback and all the hints to other travelers. With pleasure we acknowledge that you enjoyed our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper Bed and the big selection at our breakfast. I will take an initiative to review again our offers together with our Executive Chef to ensure we have a healthy corner and good mix to start the day for our business guests.
We do hope that you from now will use the Sheraton Imperial more often for your stays in KL and look forward to be your host again.
Chennai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

I stayed with my parents for one night on our way from Yangoon, Mynmar to Chennai, India. The hotel is situated right in middle of city. Our check-in process took lot of time as there were quite few tourists and the front-desk just couldn't manage. We had the same issue while checking-out where it took almost 40 minutes for our turn to complete the check-out formalities.

Otherwise, the room was fantastic with twin-tower view. Food was really good with a huge buffet spread both for dinner and breakfast

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear suns79 and parents,
Thank you for taking the time to give your valuable feedback and we sincerely do apologize for the long waiting time upon check-in and check-out which was caused by peak time arrival of many guests in both cases. Rest assured we take these comments very serious and work already on improvements with our Front Office leaders. Wonderful for mentioning our great food variety which you experienced during breakfast and dinner and we hope you enjoyed your transition stay on your way to Chennai.
Stamford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

After a rotten stay at the JW, I switched my reservation over to the Sheraton. I booked a club level room so that I would have access to the lounge. I had a nice room, clean- and even rose petals on my bed (it was Valentine's Day)- ...even though I was staying alone and for business... I was a little alarmed to have the staff knock on my door shortly after arriving with little chocolate cakes and a bottle of wine... and then I saw the cakes said "Happy Honeymoon" on them- and I knew there must have been a mistake- I'm not married and my fiance was back in the states... It turns out that he had called the hotel to have something sweet arranged for me- but... something was lost in translation. At any rate- the hotel was kind about it and, although they initially charged it to my bill- they removed it without any question when I explained what had happened and offered to pay for it with my non-work credit card. They told me not to worry about it and to enjoy my Valentine's Day. How sweet...

I appreciated the concierge's help getting a car for the day- they called a few different places to check prices and advised me on the best way to get from meeting to meeting. They also told me if where I was heading was easier to get to by train (which is practically right in front of the hotel- conveniently..) and with KL traffic- that's really nice to know- and nice to know that they won't just shove you in a cab with no regard for what's easiest and most cost effective for you like some hotels.

Overall, the hotel IS definitely getting a little old- but it is well looked after and the staff are very kind and accommodating. The rooms are spacious, pretty, and clean. The pool and sauna whirlpool areas were great too. I love that the breakfast area downstairs has juicers- so you can choose an array of fruits and veggies for your morning health-boost. :-) The gym is nice also and is 24 hrs. I love Sheraton's dedication to fitness- with the gym-in-a-bag options and the healthier options at the breakfast buffet. It can be so difficult to stick to a healthy regimen when you travel a lot- but they've really put some thought into it.

Room Tip: Higher floors- and you can ask for a view of the petronas towers if you like... beautiful sunrises.
Dear Jamies_oyster,
Thank you very much for this "personalized" review and all your feedback. I apologize about the potential misunderstanding in regards to the Valentine set up and honeymoon treatment but I am glad that we managed still to impress you and to connect. Great that you enjoyed our breakfast set up and the juice station with it's variety to have a healthy start into the day.
Hope you had a safe travel back to Stamford and there hopefully will be another opportunity to return to KL staying at your new favorite hotel.
Portland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

After a dismal stay at the overpriced Sheraton Singapore we weren't quite sure what we would be in for at the KL Sheraton Imperial...and what a wonderful surprise!!!
At check-in our Platinum status was immediately recognized, we were thanked by multiple staff for choosing the hotel to stay, provided a late check-out and a suite upgrade, all without even requesting it. The suite was large and spacious. We loved the walk in closet and the gorgeous bathrooms. Our only complaint would be the carpeting in guest rooms and hallways. It is so very old and out of date. As impeccably as all the public spaces and the rooms are maintained, I would make a bet that a refresh on the carpets is at the top of management's list.
The pool and workout facility is wonderful. We thought the pool area was just absolutely lush. The workout area is renovated, large, clean and with plenty of cardio machines in addition to free weights, workout machines, fit balls, free weights. Again, we had no complaints and we made it a point to workout every day.
The club room is one of the best we have visited. There was open bar, along with three different food stations, one staffed by a chef. There were plenty of staff and managers who made appearances frequently. Service was sublime. I would not hesitate in the slightest to encourage any guest to pay the additional to be on club level as this hotel could train a lot of other Starwood properties on how to provide a WOW club level experience.
The breakfast buffet was awesome, one of the largest we have experienced with a multitude of choices on several different islands in the 1st floor dining room. Again, there was an abundance of staff and managers carefully watching over guests and providing impeccable service. Again, I would encourage anyone visiting this property to buy a breakfast package with their room. It is well worth it. Our suite had a lovely view of the Petronis Towers and Menara KL Tower. It was nice but more importantly, we were on the quiet side of the hotel. The front of the hotel is on a busy street and if you are sensitive to sound, request the quiet side of the hotel.
We loved being greeted by the doorman as we entered and exited, which is not always the case at other properties. Once in the lobby the greetings would continue with other staff and managers acknowledging our presence.
One evening we tried the Essence dinner buffet and it was as nice as the morning breakfast buffet with an overwhelming amount of choices and impeccable service. Another evening we attempted to visit Danieli Italian restaurant on the pool deck, but they were unfornately closed for a special event. Since we were not feeling like Chinese (the other in hotel restaurant), we walked down the streeet on the side of hotel and there were several different little restaurants/bars.
Anytime we had a question of the concierge the information was spot on, concise and with perfect directions.
This was one of our favorite hotel stays of any Starwood we have visited. We just wish we were closer to Kuala Lumpur to visit the hotel more often.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear couple PDXStocks,
we are all thrilled by receiving all your compliments and on behalf of the entire team I would like to thank you very much for this detailed review and all you nice words in regards to our people and quality. Just wonderful and we appreciate that you took the time to post this wonderful feedback and giving us the high rating of 5 stars. Sorry that the Villa Danieli restaurant was closed due to a private party and you didn't have the chance to explore a true Italian experience in SouthEastAsia. However, it is very obvious that you enjoyed our culinary offers starting from breakfast to our Aperitif Hours at the Sheraton Club and always felt well taken care of at any venue. Great to learn that this was truly one of your favorable stays a t a Sheraton property and we hope that even if Portland is far away from KL there is another opportunity to revisit this vibrant city in the future.
Thank you so much for staying with us and best regards from KL.
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

We booked two rooms for a family vacation in early January and had a wonderful stay. Praise-worthy features include the very spacious rooms, large walk-in closet, and very large and updated bathroom. Service from the front desk was excellent. My requests for an extra child rollaway bed and for assistance in changing currency were promptly accommodated. My children enjoyed the outdoor pool for cooling off in the afternoon and it seemed popular with other young families too! One drawback to the location is the noise factor. There is some loud chanting broadcast over load speakers near the hotel before 6 am every morning - a major drawback if you are a jet-lagged North American visitor and just trying to catch up with some sleep at that time. I really wished they didn't have that nearby. On the other hand, we found a good authentic local restaurant an easy couple of blocks away that serves great curry and roti - Restoran Alam Berkat. If you come to Malaysia for its food then you will find the food in such "hole in the wall" little family restaurants to be better flavour and value than any mall-based restaurant.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
stephan_sieberg, General Manager at Sheraton Imperial Kuala Lumpur Hotel, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
Dear Buffyana and family,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post this review and all the hints you gave to other travelers. Sorry to hear that you were disturbed by the announcements of the mosque nearby and had problems to overcome the jetlag a bit.
It is with great pleasure to hear that our team was always present to support and go the extra mile to make your stay a memorable one and that you and the kids enjoyed the time at the poolside in the middle of the city.
Thank you for staying with us and hope there is a chance to can bring back the family to KL and Sheraton Imperial.
Stephan Sieberg

Been to Sheraton Imperial Kuala Lumpur Hotel? Share your experiences!