“Good hotel but construction in KL a real problem.” 4 of 5 stars

Sheraton Imperial Kuala Lumpur Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Sultan Ismail, Kuala Lumpur 50250, Malaysia   |
Ranked #22 of 274 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Perth
“Good hotel but construction in KL a real problem.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

We stayed for three nights in late October. The hotel was fine although a little dated. It was very clean and comfortable.

The breakfast buffet was the best I have ever had.

The dinner buffet was also excellent.

We found the amount of construction and roadworks going on in KL to be a genuine inconvenience. It made getting around a hassle as many footpaths and roads were very uneven and incomplete.

The hotel was good but I would avoid KL at present due to the hassle of getting around. TV choices were average at best.

Room Tip: We had a room that was 100 m2 and found it spacious.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Sheraton_Imperial_KL, General Manager at Sheraton Imperial Kuala Lumpur Hotel, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the Sheraton Imperial Hotel Kuala Lumpur. We appreciate your positive comment about the cleanliness, comfort of room and signature breakfast at Essence. We are also sorry to hear that you had some challenges walking around in KL due to construction.

We look forward to welcoming you back again to Sheraton Imperial if your travel plan brings you back to KL. Best Regards, Chuck Abbott

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Spent 3 nights on Club floor in November with spouse.
Magnificent well appointed room with excellent conveniences and very comfortable beds.
Club Lounge on top floor superb location however breakfast is very basic and lacks variety.
General breakfast area on lower floor although greater variety and substantially larger is clitter, clatter and noisy cafeteria style you would expect to find in a popular shopping centre food hall.
Buffet meals area has a large range of Asian food which is fantastic for Asians. There is no meaningful description of what is in the pots to give non Asians any sort of idea of the type of food. One just has to guess. Europeans are not catered for whatsoever therefore one would be better taking a punt at a few local restaurants just around the corner for a fraction of the cost.
A couple of burgers, steak and chips and fish and chips would have sufficed.
All staff, including Mr Faisal Nala Bin Abdullah and Mr Rafique Abdullah are singled out for special mention for their willingness to help out and beyond. Unimpressed by charging of telephone calls that could not connect but was not going to argue about RM40.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the Sheraton Imperial Hotel Kuala Lumpur. We appreciate your positive comment about the Sheraton Club rooms & lounge. Also, thanks for your additional comments on breakfast that didn't meet your expectations and food tag with no descriptions. We shall review on the food tag improvement especially to assist on non Asian guests understand the foods better.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

We had the most amazing stay at this hotel.Staff was lovely and helpful , breakfeast was amazing the best we ever had .Travelled with our 2 boys aged 5 and 9 , and they had fun, chocolate fountain for breakfast , pancakes and waffles , hubby loved the curries and I loved the soup station. The buffet dinner was also amazing, more costy but very worth the $$ ...Only one small issue there is a mosque near by and every morning at 5:25 am there is prayer time ...and that did wake me up.The blue taxis are more expensive , request the red ones on the street. We would definitely stay here again...best experience:)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the Sheraton Imperial Hotel Kuala Lumpur. We appreciate your positive comment about the overall experience and specifically on our signature breakfast at Essence.

We look forward to welcoming you & kids back again to Sheraton Imperial if your travel plan brings you back to KL. Best Regards, Chuck Abbott
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

The bathroom is done in classic red marble, separate bath and shower and bright lights. The bonus was a room with a direct view of the Petronas Twin Towers.

The location is not like the center of the business or shopping districts. But there is a monorail station right outside so you can easily get to the shopping districts and business centers.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the Sheraton Imperial Hotel Kuala Lumpur. We appreciate your positive comment about the room with a view towards Twin Towers and location of the hotel that's within train hubs.

Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

Coming back from a business trip alone from Australia, I made a one night stopover in KL at the Sheraton Imperial. I took a room on the Club floor with a king bed. As always, I checked through the reviews on Trip Advisor before hand. As KL can be quite expensive relative to other Asian cities, and since I was on my own with no one else to impress, I was looking for something a little cheaper than Trader's where I've stayed previously, or other chains that I've relied on in the past like Pan Pacific and Mandarin Oriental. The rate was 539 Ringgit/night with tax and service which is about 180 USD. With that in mind I was expecting a slight step down from the aforementioned chains that were quoting around 250 to 300 USD for the night with similar inclusions (breakfast, wifi, club access, etc.).

Due to a delayed flight I didn't arrive at check-in until about midnight, and I was expecting to get very quick service at that hour. Unfortunately, the staff at the front desk seemed to be encountering an unexpected rush (that is, unexpected by both them and me). It seemed that a tour group had just arrived, also due to a flight delay. At first only one computer was manned, so the line progressed very slowly, but soon they did open a second one and apologized for the wait. All in all, it took around 20 minutes to complete the check-in.

I was given the key and told where the room was so I could find my way myself, and I carried my own luggage, which wasn't a problem, because I only had my small, hand-luggage size suitcase, plus a briefcase. The room itself was very well appointed considering the price; certainly better than I expected from some of the Trip Advisor reviews. I needed to make a call within KL when I arrived, and local calls were included in my Club room rate, so I did so from the hotel phone. I also logged onto the wifi. Opening the door to the walk-in wardrobe activated the light and an extraction fan inside. It seemed a bit odd to have a fan in there, and once it was activated once it seemed to cut in and out intermittently throughout the whole night. That wouldn't have been a problem, except that it also made an odd screeching noise at times. It wasn't too loud, and from the bed it was barely audible, so it didn't really worry me or stop me from getting a decent night's sleep.

The breakfast in the Club lounge was first class. I wasn't expecting such a fine array of hot foods, cereals, breads and sweet pastries, but in my opinion it was on par with Trader's. There was a beautiful view from where I sat and took my time with breakfast reading the paper and doing some work on the laptop.

When I went to check-out after breakfast there were two surprises on the bill. The first was my fault; I don't understand the format of Malaysian phone numbers, so I didn't realize that the phone call I made was to a mobile, so that appeared on the bill. It was charged a rate pretty typical of any hotel; exorbitant given the very short duration, but whatever. I know that's what all hotels do, and it was my fault for calling a number that wasn't included, and in the scheme of things it wasn't much money, just a surprise. The second was that I'd been charged for my internet use despite it being included in my room rate. When I queried it, the desk clerk made some inquiries with his boss and after a bit of mucking around he removed it from the bill without apology. Really, any internet use from that access point should be free, since it is located on the Club floor where wifi is an inclusion, but that's for the management there to work out. I just don't like being incorrectly charged for inclusions.

All-in-all, the hotel was above my expectations for the price, and I would certainly stay there again, probably even in preference to some of the other 5 star hotels in KL, since I now know there's a cheaper option that provides more or less equal service to what I'm after in a hotel.

Room Tip: Taking a room with Club access is very good value for the extra cost.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the Sheraton Imperial Hotel Kuala Lumpur. We appreciate your positive comment about the overall experience at hotel. Also, thanks for sharing some insights on where our service didn't meet your expectation. We will review some of the options on how we can further enhance our service level and ensure bill is presented with accuracy.

Batemans Bay, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

The hotel got another star just for the concierge! They were always so welcoming and friendly. We travelled there with our 2 boys (3&5)
The suite room was a lot bigger than deluxe and the club package is really worth it! All the some nights were better than others it's good to be able to not have to go out for dinner if we didn't want too. The hotel is close but in bad traffic still far out of the city ($10 aud).
We changed rooms and left one of my sons shoes and my makeup bag in the room. House cleaning said they didn't find anything so I had to demand to have a look in the room and thank goodness I found my makeup bag! No sign of the shoe though.
The language barrier is definitely a little hard but most staff try to be helpful.
We wanted to go on a tour to the caves one day and I was trying to talk to the concierge but I felt like we were pushed to like a guy that organises the taxis? I don't think they are part of the hotel and the prices are cheap. The taxi bloke was just rude and it's not a good look fort hat to be attached to the hotel. The swimming room was ok but not great.
The breakfast was amazing. They have juice bar also.
It's noisy at night no matter what floor you are on but higher up the better

Room Tip: Get a club suite
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Sheraton_Imperial_KL, General Manager at Sheraton Imperial Kuala Lumpur Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the Sheraton Imperial Hotel Kuala Lumpur. We appreciate your positive comment about the suite room, signature breakfast at Essence, Sheraton Club benefits and friendliness of the hotel associates. Also, thanks for sharing some of your feedbacks for service improvements on language and taxi service. Your feedback will be shared with the team to ensure we consistently deliver a warm Sheraton service.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

Initially thought this was a bit remote but it is actually well serviced by both the monorail and metro so gettng around kl is easy and cheap ( unlike taxis). The inside finishes are 1980's Sheraton, dark wood that was typical of their style but still very nice. Rooms were very nice , we had a view of the Petronas towers which are spectacular at night. We arrived late so had the buffet which given the low cost of eating in KL is very expensive. Excellent eating for around $15 per head can be had at most local restaurants however go to Bukit Bintang Malls for larger restaurants. Breakfast was disappointing with a pancake station that was never attended.Always get the express train from the airport to the city, quicker and much cheaper than a taxi.

Room Tip: Ask for room with view of Petronas towers
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the Sheraton Imperial Hotel Kuala Lumpur. We appreciate your positive comment about the overall experience at the hotel. Also, thanks for highlighting that there was no one at pan cake station and we will take a look at it immediately. We usually have someone manning the stations to ensure we engage our guests according to their needs.

Been to Sheraton Imperial Kuala Lumpur Hotel? Share your experiences!