“Luxury in KL” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Melbourne, Australia
“Luxury in KL”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I have just returned home after a 2 night stay. I have stayed at many 5 star hotels in KL, and I believe this hotel is wonderful on many fronts. First is the smile and the welcome greeting at the front door. This is then duplicated by all the staff throughout the hotel. It really makes you feel welcome. The hotel is very luxurious with the benefit of several Restaurants and 2 Bars. The rooms are large and comfortable, great workstation, lots of storage, and a fantastic bathroom.

From the hotel, the Petronas Towers are only a short walk away, plus they have a shuttle service that can take you to some of the major shopping centres in the city. The location is perfect. I did not use the business/conference facilities, but I did investigate for future reference. The layout, the equipment, etc should not disappoint business travellers.

If you are looking for a luxurious holiday stay or a business conference, this is the place in KL.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
IC_KualaLumpur, General Manager at InterContinental Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear Milan1111,

Greetings from InterContinental Kuala Lumpur! Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent visit to Kuala Lumpur and we are very glad to hear that you had a welcoming and wonderful experience with our services and facilities. We also appreciate you taking the time to write us this positive review and for the recommendation. Do consider us again on your next visit here to Kuala Lumpur for leisure or business, we look forward to delivering another memorable stay for you.

Hafidh Al-Busaidy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

we usually head to KL every month or so (for work or play) and were rather used to the traders hotel until i gave this one a shot. they took over nikko hotel some time back and the japanese touches show (black marble,lighting, decor etc). hotel is not as full as the other haunts in the KLCC and better for that as you save yourself looking at americans in dockers/shorts/white socks/hush puppies.

rooms are very pleasant (i'd rather pay for an upgrade though), but what truly makes this hotel is the service and staff who take the time to speak to guests and understand how they can serve them better..special kudos to jason in the breakfast lounge who spoke to us and brought over some gluten free bread for me (i usually get blank stares from singapore staff) & some unsweetened soy milk for our cappuccinos. breakfast spread is v decent and they keep introducing new menus (vegetarian, indian, gluten free etc) every few weeks or so. young nepalese chap (sorry we forget the name......) serving in the bar area v pleasant and helped us navigate the menu many times :)

if we had to nitpick, complaints would be pool view (concrete jungle skywards) & that the premier rooms would look better in darker tones. i know this hotel is somewhat new competing against the usual KLCC suspects but we really hope they don't let the service down as they establish themselves better.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
IC_KualaLumpur, General Manager at InterContinental Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear rahmed79,

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and it is indeed our goal to ensure all our guests feel welcomed and have an excellent stay through the services and facilities offered. Your recognition and encouraging comments have livened up our spirits and inspire all of us. We will share your comments with the team and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

stayed at Intercontinental for 3 days on business trip in Kuala Lumpur. The staff at the reception and concierge are really friendly and helpful. Room was very very big with a big king size bed, spacious work stations, and I love the bathroom the most!

Location is really strategic at Jalan Ampang and walking distance to the LRT ampang park station. Close to KLCC and everywhere in the city center, A really thumbs up business hotel, and maybe great for family too! I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
IC_KualaLumpur, General Manager at InterContinental Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear S S,

We truly appreciate your feedback and extremely kind comments regarding our team, the services, the comfort and the location. We use feedback such as yours and others to evaluate the achievement of our service promise. Looking forward to welcoming you back!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I come to KL every month or so. I like staying at different Hotels to see what works well amd what does not. For me, this is research for my own hotel in Phuket.

I can happily say that The Intercontinental KL does a lot VERY well indeed. For me the highlights are:

1. Brian the night manager. He is the most efficient and energetic hotelier I have ever met. His energy and speed are exceptional. And best is his customer service skills. Wonderful. He made me feel at home and made sure everything was perfect for my stay.

2. Mohammed Izzat provided a beautiful welcome to the hotel. After a long flight and airport ride, it is wonderful to be met by such a friendly and happy soul. Again, he accomponied me throughout the checkin process and made sure I aas happy with the room. Great service.

3. Chandra the laundry lady was wonderful. The back of house staff are often not seen, but running a hotel myself, I know that these staff are crucial. Chandra washed my clothes perfectly and they were folded, wrapped and placed on my bed with love and care.

4. I was fortunate to stay in the Premium Rooms and they are sensational. Spacious, high quality amd vey clean. The bed is very confortable and the bedding fresh. Again, very impressive.

5. I recently checked in at a 4* nearby competitor. Upon checkin I was extremely disappointed and immediately checked out. I remembered the service i experienced at the Intercontinental and walked across the road and checked in at the Intercontinental. Brian was on the desk amd remembered me. It was 2am and he personally checked me, and was kind enough to upgrade me to the Premium Rooms. Wow!! Again, great customer service. I love it. He even sent me a complimentary fruit basket and chocolates. I'm definitely coming back.

6. The only negative of the Intercontinental was the buffet dinner in the lobby. Unfortunately I came during Iftah and the food quality wasn't great. Most dishes were cold and taste was pior. I expressed my concerns to the wonderful staff. Such a shame because for 160ringit you'd expect more. Nevertheless, the staff were very appreciative of my feedback and I am sure it was just a temporary blip due to being busy over Ramadan.

7. On the plus side again, I gave my positive feedback to the lovely day shift manager. She was wonderful. Very happy. Very positive. Very smiley. For me, customer service friendliness is the most important thing in our business and the Intercontinental exceeds in this respect!!

Fabulous, excellent, wonderful!!

I would love to meet the manager of this fine establishment to congratulate on what he has achieved - a great team!!

Phil

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Chattanooga, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

We had a nice, but short, two night stay at this hotel. Wish we could have stayed longer. The hotel is well-located, and easy to get to from the airport via KL Sentral station. Many people probably stay here for business, but we were here for leisure, and the hotel is actually in a relatively good location to see the city. It is very close to a metro station, and also a short walk to the Petronas Towers which are a great sight (though if you want to go up, book in advance, as they were unfortunately sold out by the time we got there for our days). The KLCC Suria mall is very close and it has an extensive food court and shopping. There are also some good restaurants a short taxi ride away from the hotel. We enjoyed a short swim at the lovely pool at the hotel, and the facilities are very nice. The lobby is just lovely and impressive.

The rooms are also very nice and spacious and fit what you would expect from an Intercontinental in terms of size and amenities. The room had a mini-fridge and a safe. The bathroom was great and had a Japanese style toilet (I believe this hotel used to be a hotel Nikko which explains some of the fittings). The room also had a shower and separate lounging tub which was great. The only thing we didn't like about the room is that light comes in around the blinds, so it never gets completely dark in the room because city lights stay on at night.

The service really stands out at this hotel, though. We arrived in the wee hours of the morning due to a flight delay, and they were very welcoming at check-in. They assisted us with dinner reservations as well, and were all-around very pleasant and professional.

The one negative of the hotel was that the wifi was surprisingly bad.

Though some of the tourist attractions are in other parts of the city, we would certainly consider staying here again next time just due to the great experience we had at this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
IC_KualaLumpur, General Manager at InterContinental Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear PoorestTourists,

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I am thrilled to read that you had memorable stay with us. Your feedback and kind words keeps us dedicated towards seeking perfection. I will pass along your thoughtful review to the entire team. I look forward to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in a near future!

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

I travel for business regularly to KL, and I always try to stay at the Intercontinental on Jalan Ampang.The hotel is a smart business level hotel in a good, relatively central location.

Most impressive is the fact that i'm treated like I'm a member of the family there - from check-in at the front desk, to the porters, concierge, bar and restaurant staff, they all greet me by name and make my stay that much more enjoyable, even on a business trip!

On the rare occasions they are fully booked and i cant get a room there, I still tend to go there after work hours as it just feels so comfortable !!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Mike H,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving your comments. It's great to read how comfortable you feel while staying with us. We were also glad to know that our team were able to satisfy your needs, and always ensure a wonderful stay for our valued guests such as yourself. Once again, thank you for your kind review and I look forward to welcoming you back in a near future.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Functional for business travellers; and in the right location for families/tourists wanting to be near KL’s landmarks.
Overall quality of service ranges from 3* to 4*, with the exception of the Club Lounge, where the service is 5*

The rooms give you a near 5* experience; restaurants offer a mid to upper-market experience.
No “MasterChefs” at this Intercon, sadly!

The jewel in this hotel is the Executive Club; the team does stand-out and service is spot on.
I have been impressed by the professionalism and proactive attitude of the Club Manager and her staff;

Ms Julia D. (Club Manager) brings together Swiss hospitality and German efficiency with a Malaysian welcome.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Makamsi,

Thank you very much for sharing your recent experience at the InterContinental Kuala Lumpur

I greatly appreciated reading this glowing review of our hotel. It is always a great source of motivation for all our team members and I will without doubt share your outstanding comments with all the departments especially Julia and her team at the club lounge. I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Kuala Lumpur.

Hafidh Al-Busaidy

Been to InterContinental Kuala Lumpur? Share your experiences!